Thread: Game Cameras and Negative degree temps

Default Game Cameras and Negative degree temps

Has anyone ever put up a game camera on their traps? If so what was the outcome. Wasthinking of trying it out, but don't know how the negative temps would effect the camera. If you have had experience with this, please let me know. Thanks

I have been experimenting with a few cameras the last couple of years. I am in southcentral so we don't have the cold temps that you have in the interior. I would like to know how they work in the more extreme temps.

Very cool pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Those were great videos HC130FE, thanks for posting those. That wolverine was intent to get into that box.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

-30 will eat those D batteries right now.. they can be good a few days to a week and need changing.. i tried leaving mine up one winter to see the come and going. but got to big a hassle.. 0 and above they do okay... so maybe watch the forcast and hang them during the warm spells..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,
    Is there any way to run Lithium batteries for the things? I've had my Lithium and Li-Ions cold to -40F and they work in my game callers.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Vince,
    Is there any way to run Lithium batteries for the things? I've had my Lithium and Li-Ions cold to -40F and they work in my game callers.
    in a C or D? i know some have external battery packs... but mine jut take C/D batts.. and i have never found them in lithium.. only the AA / AAA
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I am using the ScoutGuard 550 and 560, they use AA batteries. I use lithium batteries and that is one of the reasons that I bought these cameras.

I use the same as HC130 uses.. Have 2 of them right now on my trapline, not to take pics of the animals but to catch the ***** who is following my tracks.. and taking my critters.. so far I have lost 2 fox and either a 3rd or a yote.. couldnt tell for sure.. my neighbor has lost a fox and a yote... Rght now I have it narrowed down to snowmobile, size 12 shoes, and my guess is mucklucks.. has the dotted sole pattern.. carries a wire cutters to clip my snares, removes the animal and leaves the cut snare to my suprise.. Gotta love it.. My last resort is to put a bear trap on my trail and find him in the morning.. I'll leave a axe next to the tree.. either stay in the trap or whack your foot off.. LOL>. Back to the topic, the game camera works good, I change the batteries every 3 days.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try it out, and will post my results. Good luck witht he bear trap.

Vaince,
    They make one in the C length from what I can tell.

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiMnNi-R...18Wh-0.42.aspx

I was thinking you'd probably need to put one of these into a holder and wire up some leads to connect to the caller. What voltage does is require?