Thread: Favorite barrel maker?

Default Favorite barrel maker?

If you had a Interarms MarkX action that you wanted to send out for a new barrel where would you send it?

It'll be an all around Alaskan hunting rig, probably in 375 Ruger, don't really want to spend a fortune...

I'll handle the stock finishing.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

My 2 favorite barrel makers are Lilja and Pac-Nor.

Lilja= very spendy.

Pac-Nor= very well priced.
    Last edited by AlleninAlaska; 02-18-2007 at 18:12.

Eric,
    Not sure what constitutes "a fortune" to you, but I like Dan Lilja's barrels. His barrels are well known for quality, and he runs a good operation. I own several of his barrels, and they are outstanding (...but they are not inexpensive). Dan doesn't ream the chamber or fit the barrel to the action, so you'll have to get that done locally by a gun-smith. If you live in Anchorage I can recommend someone who does great work. I've pasted the Lilja website for your convenience. It takes a few months to get your barrel from Lilja after it's ordered (unless it's in stock, which is rare)...so you have time to save for it.
    Good luck sir,
    Doc

http://www.riflebarrels.com/

Default kreiger barrels

I always use Krieger barrels.

jedi

Personally the interarms isnt worth re-barreling, just send it to me and I will suffer by owning it...<grins>

I dont think you can go wrong with any of the top name makers.

I have owned Shilen, McGowen, Lilja and Kreiger.
    My first choice is now Lilja. You can often avoid the waiting times if you find the Lilja blank you need on Midways web site. I bought my last three this way and then had Stan Jackson do the machine work for me.
    Tennessee

hart and christensen too

Default Barrel maker.

ER Shaw make a good barrel at about half the cost of the others listed above. Look at their website, their gunsmith service prices are good also.

Default barrels

My favorite three are: Shilen, Krieger, Broughton (North manufacturing). Kriegers are cut rifled, Shilen and Broughton are button. But... most barrels are good. The secret lies in the gunsmith's ability to correctly: fit the barrel to the action and ream the chamber.

I've got a couple of Shilens I had mounted back in the 70's. The 257 Roberts has well over just over 8000 rounds through it (documented in logs) and still drops most varieties of bullets into an inch or so at 100 yards. The 280 AI only has almost 5000 rounds through it, but it still does better than the Roberts. More recent Shaw, McGowen and Douglas barrels are doing very well, but they have nowhere near that many rounds through them.

I think it would be rare to get a bad barrel from any of the recognized manufacturer's. There are some real stinker gunsmiths out there however, and they can make all the difference.

I'd pick your gunsmith first, then follow his recommendations for a barrel.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'd pick your gunsmith first, then follow his recommendations for a barrel.
    BrownBear:
    I did that. Recently, Stan Jackson, (Good Man) replaced the barrel on my 280 Rem. IIRC, he picked a Douglas barrel.

I'd never had a barrel replaced before. It makes me feel like a real Gun Loonie. (The old barrel is hangin on my garage wall.) "Watta picture".
    Smitty of the North

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I was thinking that if I could have the barrel mounted and the chamber finished by the barrel maker then I could pretty much avoid the custom gunsmith thing. I'll handle the stock, and the action's been drilled and tapped. It feeds well as it is now so I'm hoping that will not be an issue if I'm lucky. Looking at a stainless barrel so blueing won't be needed.

I looked at the ER Shaw site and they do offer barrel mounting. They also mention "true bolt face" and "true receiver" as options at $35ea. Seems pretty reasonable, any thoughts on the need for this on a hunting rifle?

Thanks for your input.

It's nice to see several of you speak well of Stan Jackson. He's been my gun smith for the past 15 or so years. He's old school, does fine work, and has been very generous of his time and knowledge with me over the years. For those of you who haven't used him, his number is 250-0252.

Doc

I have installed an number of barrels over the last 30 years. Kriegers are the best. I have also used Adams and Bennet from Midway. One of their 243s is the most accurate rifle I own. I have Kriegers, Douglas, Walther, Shilen, McGowen and A&B; they all shoot well if installed properly. None of them work well with sloppy instalation.

I've got a Kreiger barrel on my .338-06, and I wanted another one for my .280 AI. I didn't want to wait 4 months for a Kreiger, so I chose a Hart barrel that Stan Jackson happened to have sitting on his rack. Both barrels shoot.

I am sure you will get good results from any of the top barrel makers, with Stan doing your metal work.

Question Stan Jackson

Mr. Jackson is located??

reuben....

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I was thinking that if I could have the barrel mounted and the chamber finished by the barrel maker then I could pretty much avoid the custom gunsmith thing. I'll handle the stock, and the action's been drilled and tapped. It feeds well as it is now so I'm hoping that will not be an issue if I'm lucky. Looking at a stainless barrel so blueing won't be needed.

I looked at the ER Shaw site and they do offer barrel mounting. They also mention "true bolt face" and "true receiver" as options at $35ea. Seems pretty reasonable, any thoughts on the need for this on a hunting rifle?

Thanks for your input.
    why not true em up? it is your one chance to have a blueprinted setup. will it help? depends on your actions squareness right now.....it sure can't hurt. if accuracy is a goal you just killed off two more variables.

Default favorite barrel maker

John Buhmiller

Stan Jackson is in Anchorage...sorry I wasn't clear about that.
    Doc