Thread: Make it yourself tent stove?

Default Make it yourself tent stove?

Just got a good canvas tent and I intend to have a stove for it for next hunting season. I need a stove that's light and small enough to be packed on a quad without having to make extra trips back and forth to my little patch of swamp. Before I shell out the 250 for one of those collapsible ones, does anyone know of a safe, effective and small homemade variant? I've heard a few people say you can make one out of an ammo can but they get super hot. Anyone ever built something small that worked?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Go to Amazon.com and buy the book from Ole Wik: "Wood-Stoves-How-Make-Them". It's a cheap classic for amateur stove builders and there are dozens of great examples of far-north frugality and innovation. It's also a very fun read. I will pass mine down to my boys someday.

Before I bought this book, I built a stove out of an army mortar box. It looks like a super-sized ammo can. I mostly use it for heating up improvised saunas when we're out in the boonies but the stove puts out a lot of heat and is very transportable. If you can find one of those you could build a stove out of it. Good luck.......

Dave
    Soldotna

Default Lotsa cool tech there

Here's some stolen material from the book Dave is talking about:
    http://www.autonopedia.org.uk/approp...ves_Part2.html

It has a stove made from a kicker stove as I mentioned in your other thread.

Just get one at Alaska Tent and Tarp...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Here's some stolen material from the book Dave is talking about:
    http://www.autonopedia.org.uk/approp...ves_Part2.html

It has a stove made from a kicker stove as I mentioned in your other thread.
    That's a fun site! Lots of good info there!

There's a simple tent stove made from a piece of 8" stove pipe over here:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...t=24914&page=9

Yup, that's a skookum little setup there. I've even built them from institutional size coffee cans (rectangular; about 12"x12"x16" with a round lid). The problem with most any of these stoves is finding a way to seat the flue pipe into the top of the stove. The best way I have found is to find a heavy gauge reducer which has a flange between the two sizes and just trim off the larger size.