Thread: what kind of moose numbers did you see?

Default what kind of moose numbers did you see?

Curious as to field observations. I was a little worried by what I saw last year.

In 14b I bet I laid eyes on 16 different cows. None of them had calfs. I saw about 6 cows in 14a, 2 had calfs. Then out at knik, about 4 cows. 1 had a calf. Then 13A i saw about 8 cows, no calfs.

Not alot of future big moose in the making.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Curious as to field observations. I was a little worried by what I saw last year.

In 14b I bet I laid eyes on 16 different cows. None of them had calfs. I saw about 6 cows in 14a, 2 had calfs. Then out at knik, about 4 cows. 1 had a calf. Then 13A i saw about 8 cows, no calfs.

Not alot of future big moose in the making.
    how long did you look over what size and area? i thought our moose numbers were low here till went up last weekend..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I spent 10 days on the steese with a late season cow tag and the only thing we found were dead ones. More wolves then moose I think. -1 wolf thats at the taxidermist right now.

O.K. Vince, I was'nt going to be sucked back into this, but have to comment on your facebook reports. (The latest quots come up on my home page.)

The first one I saw was a count of 20 cows, and a few bulls, the secound was 80 moose, but you were skunked in other parts of the unit.

I don't get on facebook to much so if there were more posts I probably missed them.

So what was your total count while you were in the air? ( Not getting back into the argument because you know how I feel ) Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    how long did you look over what size and area? i thought our moose numbers were low here till went up last weekend..
    I dont know. The place in 14b where we saw the most cows, we were there a week straight, plus a few weekend trips. you could see along ways down in the valley bottom. Not sure how to guess area wise.

The other areas were just weekend hunts, couldnt see alot in any one direction.

Just seemed to me that I always saw alot more calfs.

And I actually didnt think the moose numbers were that low. I think I saw more Moose last year than I usually do. And then when you couple that observation with the low calf sightings, well thats weird.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    O.K. Vince, I wasn't going to be sucked back into this, but have to comment on your face book reports. (The latest quots come up on my home page.)

The first one I saw was a count of 20 cows, and a few bulls, the secound was 80 moose, but you were skunked in other parts of the unit.

I don't get on facebook to much so if there were more posts I probably missed them.

So what was your total count while you were in the air? ( Not getting back into the argument because you know how I feel ) Just asking.
    well ES.. i am still working on that full reports but in about 14 hours of flight time.. i had eyes on over 200 moose. cows calf's and bulls.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

was on the YR between Tanana and Ruby and didnt see a single moose there, for 12 days

6 or 7 on the way home (daylight) comming R/Tfrom Kotzebue today, riding the river and no shortcuts.......but then again I wasnt really looking for them either.....

Couplea solo, couple Cows and Calfs, one with one antler. Saw far more Caribou, but on the Pennensula before the lake......even saw an Arctic Hare bounding away as I rounded a bend on the river...
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I saw a bunch of cows with twin calves during the archery season. This was near mile 108 of the Parks and mile 7 of the Talkeetna Spur Rd. During the rifle season I saw a cow with twins right at Newman's top soil pit just north of Willow Creek and another cow with twins and a sub-legal bull at mile 80 of the Parks. In fact the only cows I saw had twins and I only saw a couple without calves at all. I have discovered through the years that you will often see cows in the open without an apparent calf, but within a few minutes you will see a calf..particularly in the hunting season when the calves are on feed and not nursing so much. I also saw several spike/forks both dead and alive. Numerous friends scored on nice bulls within walking distance of major roads around here.

One of my friends with an airplane saw over 50 moose right at treeline between the Montana and Sheep Creek drainages. Two of my employees that commute to work from Trapper Creek report multiple moose north of the Susitna River every day. I've been here 30 years now and I can't remember a year when I've seen more moose.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Didnt do alot of moose hunting this year myself but all my friends bagged one. Hunted in Kenai 2 days and counted 15 diff cows most had a calf and one sub legal bull. Driving between sheep creek and talkeetna cutoff throughout the summer I cant tell you how many moose i saw crossing the road...dozens and dozens. Tons of fresh sign of this years calves on sheep every time i fished it, AND alot more bear sign as well.

Release Lake Trout

There were a lot of moose and where I hunt there are always a lot of moose. Plenty of calves though most people tend to overrate the number of calves they should be seeing.

Default Not much

Wasn't to impressed for what I saw for moose this year low, low numbers of calves like 8 or so cows per calf I would estimate. Low numbers of bulls, I ended up getting one but had to put in 12 days with a lot of early mornings and late nights. The biggest disappointment to me was that I hardly saw any of those 45 to 48 inchers that you hope will be 50 the following year. Was impressed with the amount of bears I saw though, 10 different brownies in an area not bigger than 2 squared miles. Could that be the reason for low calf numbers? I think any hunter with common sense knows the answer to that, but Fish and Game on the k-pen is very reluctant to allow any significant brown bear hunt.

in 20a seen approx 10 and that was alot of days in the field, seen a bunch in the FMA no big bulls 30 inchers

I saw fewer.

unit 25c.....4 days.... nadda..... see ya! Then unit 20(something)....4 days....22 cows/calves....7 sublegal bulls 30-45 inches, 2 bulls that were probably 50 but lacked the needed brow tines...........shucks!

-akiceman25

24A: Saw three sublegal bulls (30 incher and two in the mid 40's) and killed a 58"er. Outside of the corridor we saw 3 cows (no calves), and inside the corridor saw at least 8 cows. Lots of bear sign but no visuals.