Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated Your " All Around" Alaska Big Game Caliber

Default Updated Your " All Around" Alaska Big Game Caliber

OK I am going to update RayfromAK’s All around BIG GMAE hunting caliber. As is mentioned is Rays post the forum will only accept 10 options so I would like to ask for a general consensus about what calibers should be listed. Here is your chance to suggest your favorite. I will wait until Monday to post the poll. Please reply with your ideal cartridge and those with the most votes over the weekend will be posted. As per the other poll the 7mm Mag, ’06, 300WM, 338WM and 375H&H will likely be part of the poll, but my question is what are the other popular calibers out there?

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

I think you should do something a little different. I mean who has one rifle? Do a three rifle line up. .17hmr, 270wsm, and of course the .338wm.

This poll does address your idea but only on the big game side. I will probably follow up with a small game/trapping/varmint type poll a little later. I was surprised to see all the 33's which I thought were a little eclectic and not as many of the factory cartridges.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

All Around "Hunting" threesome,

Browning T-bolt, .22LR,
    Rem 870 12ga, in 3" Magnum,
    and Sako 85, in .270WSM

and I do, "only have one Big Game Caliber,"
    (lost a bunch of guns in a boat sinking so, bought one to handle it all for a while,)
    the .270WSM looked like a pretty good all around Big Game caliber for Alaska, and is proving to be just that for meat harvest,

might not handle Brown Bears, yet it might, in a surprise shot.....intending not to be charged
    ("Quick, where's that Shotgun !!")
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

375H&H of course and the 50 Beowulf is starting to grow on me. Inside 100 yards this round has so serious knock down power. Also like the AR platform. If I only had three guns for Alaska. I would go with the .375H&h, 12 gauge shot gun, and .223/5.56mm. Everything can be taken with those three guns. Well except fish, and for fishing I would need about 6 different types of fishing poles.

How about instead of individual cartridges you group them into classes. For instance the magnum .30s are all pretty similar and the "light rifles" could be 25-06 up to .270Win. You could group the 7MM with 280,7mmRM, 7WBY, etc. Mediums could include .338 and 8mm RM. "Standards could be .308, 270, '06, etc."

Might be more informative rather than individual cartridges since 10 isn't really very many.

Just a thought.

How about instead of calling them calibers. We call them Cartridges.

Agreed .....

Scott Adams

.22 .30 12 gauge.

Those are my present and persisiting calibers, and I belive most of us on these forums use them at one of our favored velocity's or another....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

My favorite Caliber is: .243 also known as 6MM
    My favorite cartridge is .375H&H

In order-

375 H&H

270 Win

257 Bob

Can't say as I have seen so many replies trying to influence the OP on how to direct his poll, after he stated his intent.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Can't say as I have seen so many replies trying to influence the OP on how to direct his poll, after he stated his intent.
    Well............Truth be told, this is all just masturbation and killing time till spring.

Not for me, AGL4now, Ive got a wife......and Caribou all around

Actually I belive Im one of few when it comes to knowing the awsome power of the 7.62X54R........but it gonna appear on no poll ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

358 Winchester (35-08)
    9.3X62 Mauser
    Both unique and classy.
    Yeah baby yeah!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think there may be signifcant support for the , 7mm-08, .270 Win, .308, .280 Rem. (7mm Express).

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    How about instead of individual cartridges you group them into classes. For instance the magnum .30s are all pretty similar and the "light rifles" could be 25-06 up to .270Win. You could group the 7MM with 280,7mmRM, 7WBY, etc. Mediums could include .338 and 8mm RM. "Standards could be .308, 270, '06, etc."

Might be more informative rather than individual cartridges since 10 isn't really very many.

Just a thought.
    The problem I can see with this idea is that one can't tell the individual cartridge (s) a person favors. For example, some who use the .30-06 want nothing to do with the .308 and so forth. But by listing individual cartridges in a number a lot larger than ten choices, then the majority of the posters who don't have one of the 10 cartridges listed can pick his or her favorite.

In the original post, the forum's software had a limit of 10 each, so I picked the most widely used I could think of.
    --------
    That said, I noticed that some posters above have repeated some of the calibers I had listed in the OP

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    The problem I can see with this idea is that one can't tell the individual cartridge (s) a person favors. For example, some who use the .30-06 want nothing to do with the .308 and so forth. But by listing individual cartridges in a number a lot larger than ten choices, then the majority of the posters who don't have one of the 10 cartridges listed can pick his or her favorite.

In the original post, the forum's software had a limit of 10 each, so I picked the most widely used I could think of.
    --------
    That said, I noticed that some posters above have repeated some of the calibers I had listed in the OP
    think it may be easier to start a WHAT NOT to use ... calibur..

shoot we have all agreed we shoot big game with what ever...

so that leaves the rimfires.. unlawful to hunt big game with, except in portions of unit 22 for swimming caribou;. THEY can use them
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

How about the 45/70? Maybe not the best sheep cartridge, but it'll stick it to everything else. I'm a fan of the 444 Marlin, but I doubt it'll pile up enough "yeas" to get it on the poll. 45/70 should be there though.

If you mean all-around, no exceptions (moose, 'bou, sheep, goat, bear, etc...), guess I'd go with a 338.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I think you should do something a little different. I mean who has one rifle? Do a three rifle line up. .17hmr, 270wsm, and of course the .338wm.
    funny you mention this, I have the same exact line up that I use more than any other lineup, works perfect for me,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast