Thread: Tires

Default Tires

Wondering what everyone thinks. Are snow tires a real must or will a good all terrains be ok in snow(fairbanks area). Just wondering because when we moved to colorado we never bought snow tires. Just had street treads and never had any real problems. Now ice is a whole different matter.

If you have a truck, E rated snow tires with studs. Fairbanks has a lot of ice and if traveling out of town you will need all the help you can get. "All Terrian" means it will handle most anything in the lower 48. Our terrain is different.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I am an Anchorage guy but in my opinion the only time snow tires help is at intersections and sometimes going up hills slowly. Like you said ice is the issue. Most everyone I know uses studs. Again this is only my Opinion.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

If your driving up you will be fine with all terrain tires BUT When you get here look for studded tires on craigslist or http://alaskaslist.com/ or locally. The studded tires are needed several times a year. When it first starts getting cold and we have rain snow mix the roads get icy and if the wind in kicking up it is like some one polished them. Then again in the spring when it warms up and you have thaw freeze. You can always get a set for a good price when you get here. If the roads are icy drive slow and remember to leave distance between vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    If you have a truck, E rated snow tires with studs. Fairbanks has a lot of ice and if traveling out of town you will need all the help you can get. "All Terrian" means it will handle most anything in the lower 48. Our terrain is different.
    Pretty much agree with Daveinthebush. Studded snowtires; I'm a believer. Not everyone is, but there hasn't been anything I've liked about sliding forward with the (antilock)brakes engaged, or sideways at any other time that I can't do without. Any downhill stretch can surprise you even going very slow. Sobering quick-like.

When I have 2nd thoughts - tire replacement time for instance - I just look at the prices of new pickups and it settles me right down.

Points well taken studded it is. We will be north of fairbanks, couple of nice down hills going to town. Thanks all.