Thread: is diesel gonna ruin my tent?

Default is diesel gonna ruin my tent?

Man I hate diesel. Its the one liquid that gets everywhere. Anyway...

I was out in the yard setting up my new stove. As soon as I plug the fuel in I can hear liquid running on the ground inside the tent. I run around inside and find that the little primer petcock wasnt closed. Most of the fuel just spilled on the ground, but I got some on the floor of the tent. Not much 1/4 of a cup maybe.

I know diesel wrecks alot of stuff. Not sure how it will react with my new cabelas tent. I know at the least it will stink forever. But Im worried it will eat away the floor.

I immediatly soaked up the fuel and scrubbed with dawn. Not sure what else to do.

Did I mention I hate diesel. Its toasty in the tent right now though

If you washed it down with soapy water it should be ok. May take awhile to lose the smell tho. Ya, I hate diesel too...yuk!
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Not sure if you can hand wash it or something like that, but Coca Cola is one serious Diesel smell killer, good on grease too,
    we wash all my engine room clothes with one can of Coke added to the laundry.
    Might be worth a try somehow for the tent.

Don't know what it is about that stuff or if it would work in a cold water hand wash but it leaves even the inside of the washer sparkly clean, believe me my wife and I abhor that smell too, I get it on my stuff, only after every attempt to avoid, but this works well for me

Possibly that diesel will mess with the waterproofing, or seams, but the smell is bad enough, Good Luck
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I put some orange hand cleaner on it and that seems to be better. The affected area is pretty small. About 6 inches long and 1 inch wide. It just caught the edge where the floor zipps away for the stove . I was just worried it was gonna eat the material away.

Ill try the coke idea too. I did a google search and that seems to be a popular method.

A product called Dynamo X in a gallon jug diluted is an excellent degreaser and cleaner.Dilute according to instructions to degrease engines,clean clothing stains, and is even safe to clean ovens and barbeques. Get it at comercial cleaning/ resturaunt supply places. DIESEL GONE.