Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your reloading set-up - post pics!

Default Your reloading set-up - post pics!

I seem to remember a similar post a while back, but I think it was more of an inquiry from a member getting into hand-loading. My loading station is in my crawl-space, and I've had a LOT of un-believing responses to that. So here at long-last is photographic evidence of where I have loaded many, many rounds.

I started the project by cutting the table in the pics in half length-wise in order to get it through the small opening and into the crawl space. I then cut up some 6' sections of steel 1/16" thick, and 1" wide stock with 1/4" holes already drilled about every 1". I used these on both sides of the table where the cut was made in three places: middle, left side and right side. I then used bolts with nylon lock-washers to hold the whole assembly together. So far it has performed beyond my expectations. I even feel it is more stable than it was before I cut it.

I chose to reload in my crawl-space for two reasons: lack of space, and to keep the dangerous stuff away from my kids. I have since added rudimentary shelves, screwed onto the bottom of the floor beams to hold the powder and bullets. The pics will show these.

I have spent many, MANY hours in there loading ammo, and it's my own private get-away. I'd love to see pics of your set-ups, to get more ideas and share the hobby.

Here's mine:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0135.jpg   CIMG0132.jpg  

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Soldier, that is the coolest idea, the crawlspace,
    so what is the table to floor height there? Are you scrunched much?
    I've imagined doing what you have there myself, ever since reading about yours.
    Thanks for the pics, looks good.

Would be a lot warmer than my set up, out in an unheated shop.
    Kodiak tho, so not intolerable, keeps a guy alert?

Here's mine, still in my Rookie year, but my first plan has not required many changes, in photo 2 you can see the Wilson case trimmer I didn't have in the beginning, The shelving/drawer things, above Gunsafe and on bench behind powder measure are my favorites, cost just a few bucks total, organized everything and kept dust off,

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Soldier, that is the coolest idea, the crawlspace,
    so what is the table to floor height there? Are you scrunched much?
    I've imagined doing what you have there myself, ever since reading about yours.
    Thanks for the pics, looks good.

Would be a lot warmer than my set up, out in an unheated shop.
    Kodiak tho, so not intolerable, keeps a guy alert?

Here's mine, still in my Rookie year, but my first plan has not required many changes, in photo 2 you can see the Wilson case trimmer I didn't have in the beginning, The shelving/drawer things, above Gunsafe and on bench behind powder measure are my favorites, cost just a few bucks total, organized everything and kept dust off,

Am I scrunched much? You bet! But when you have two families, totaling 12 people in a 1000 ft. sq. house, you have to get creative. ;-) KR - you have a VERY nice set-up there, my friend. Weather aside, That would be very close to my "ultimate" hand-loading set-up.

You claim to be a rookie, but none I've seen have learned faster. Translation: You are in for life. ;-) Enjoy the hobby, and may you fill your freezer with meat!

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Yeah, I'm definitely "In for Life" What a great Hobby isn't it?

By Scrunched, I was actually imagining "Cozy," "Warm," and "Sitting," as in more relaxed, than my stand up bench.
    Sounds good to me, but my crawlspace is way too shallow, I'd have to dig quite a hole down there to get sitting. So wondering how deep yours is?
    I did a stand up deal as it is what I had, the barstool helps for case prep, but I end up standing up to work press, then loading I need to see the scale, so I think about having a set down bench, now and then. (grin)

Thanks for the comments, having fun with it and have learned Loads, mostly from Forum members, very appreciative of all the help on here,

can't wait to see more pics, great thread
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I have a spot in the garage. It's hot as hell in the summer, sometimes 120 + and I can't take it. October through March I try and load a few boxes for each rifle and handgun I intend on shooting. I still load in the summer but I do it at night when the temps drop under a 100. Someday when I get out of this town I will dedicate a better spot to my hobby.

A close friend that I used to load for has the ultimate set up. He convinced his wife into letting him use their wine cellar for a reloading room. A wrought iron spiraling stair case leading down from his wet bar to a perfect climate controlled 10X10 room with a nice sound system and custom shelving on three walls.

He had a cabinet maker design a lazy Susan about 36" in diameter. He mounted four pieces of equipment on it and rotates to the piece he needs. The wheel is locked into position with pins in each station. He has a sink for clean up and a refrigerator for snacks close at hand. His tumbler is under a cabinet on rollers that slides out of the way into an insulated cabinet for sound suppression. He has a 550B mounted to one bench and a shot gun station on another bench. One area is equipped with an automatic powder dispenser and a back up electronic scale. He also has a beam scale because of static issues he used to have. That bench now has a static proof mat grounded under all of the equipment. I wish I had pics of his palace, I'll see if I can get some.

The pics below represent my little corner in the garage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5120214.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	42802 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5120213.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	42801

KR - my crawlspace is the requisite 42", but the floor has been worn a bit deeper where my handloading setup is located. I can sit comfortably, but I'm just the opposite of you. I'd like to be able to stand occasionally while reloading. I'll take what I can get for now though. Eventually I'll have a bigger house with a room just for reloading.

marshall - Nice, organized looking setup you've got there. I can only imagine something like your friend's wine cellar. Sounds like a pretty well thought-out loading station.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    marshall - Nice, organized looking setup you've got there. I can only imagine something like your friend's wine cellar. Sounds like a pretty well thought-out loading station.
    Yeah, he's full speed ahead and money to spare. I used to do all the loading on his .204, .308, 300RUM and .375H&H. He was burning all the ammo each week and killing what little time I had. I went down to Dillon and assisted in picking out a lot of his equipment. Once in place I assisted in setting up the dies in removable heads so he could just switch the head and shell plate and move on to the next project.

In an attempt to set up shop like he has done I would be in debt up to my shorts. There's more but I didn't want to piss anyone off. Most of us working guys are on a budget.

Man, must be rough to be relegated to the garage AND forced to ride a Suzuki!

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Yeah, Most of us working guys are on a budget.
    It is fun to read about guys like this though, we must have all have that dream bench area in mind, right? I think it may be part of the process, thinking how cool this could be if....

....... He has a sink for clean up and a refrigerator for snacks close at hand. His tumbler is under a cabinet on rollers that slides out of the way into an insulated cabinet for sound suppression.
    I have a good "Budget minded" solution for my tumbler, an upside down cardboard box works well, ha
    Think I like his solution better tho

This is cool looking at the benches wondering, "Man, that's a lot of RL-15 up there,..... hmmm,
    and "So, I wonder how many dies, that Marshall guy must have anyway,...."

Thanks Marshall, for all those ideas, hope you can find some pics

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Man, must be rough to be relegated to the garage AND forced to ride a Suzuki!
    Your funny, The garage is roomy but very hot most of the year. The RMZ450 Suzuki was an opportunity to help out a widow. The guy that owned it died on his mountain bike. Believe it or not he was killed by a mountain lion from behind while he was training. I bought the bike in an auction and cleaned it up for resale.

I ride a CR500AF, (2001 CR500 engine stuffed into a late model CRF250R chassis) in the cooler months down here. I've raced for most of my life and do it for cardio, strength and sanity issues.

Name:	5625.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	42807 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0-3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	42808

Kodiak,

The RL 15 is used In my 375 Ruger with a few selected bullets and my buddies 375H&H. I also use it in my 308 with 175gr Bergers and another shooting buddies Rem SPS 308. It goes pretty fast considering 4 rifle are dipping from it frequently.

Here is my set up. I have some space issues and chose a hand press. I'm a long time lurker but thought these pics could get someone going.

Someday i will have the room to get really serious.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakboxer View Post
    Here is my set up. I have some space issues and chose a hand press. I'm a long time lurker but thought these pics could get someone going.

Someday I will have the room to get really serious.
    Hey sneak - I started the same way. In fact, I still have the Lee hand press and I use it for de-priming miscellaneous brass and teaching new handloaders. It is a tool that will never leave my box. I bought it 15 years ago, and I'll never let it go. Don't short-change yourself with it. The Lee hand press is capable of producing match-grade ammo. It just takes more time for measurements. Now that I think of it, That is exactly the precision you want. ;-)

AKsoldier, please tell me that you are not casting lead in your crawl space!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    AKsoldier, please tell me that you are not casting lead in your crawl space!
    Yes, as a matter of fact I am. I cast lead boolits in a drafty, leaky and otherwise very well ventilated old house with every risk mitigation measure you can conjure up. I am fully aware of the risks involved with casting lead. Let's make that another thread, if indeed another thread is needed. I appreciate the thought though.

Default Here's mine

Here's my set-up in my garage. I'm a little cramped but comfy in the garage as we have the kids' wheeler and snowmachine in the garage--we actually park a vehicle in the other half of the garage.

I store powder/bullets, scales, calipers, etc... in the cabinet and there's also a white 36" cabinet below the bench that you may not see. I've got room below the white cabinet for a footlocker too. Handmade the bench to fit in that spot, it also has a little ammo/brass storage area on the right side of the bench.

I've been at it for a year or so and am going to get serious about ramping up production as I finally bought a chrony & tripod as it seemed kinda wasteful to just shoot handloads and not record the velocity when its so simple. Going to jump into loading 444 Marlin & 44 Rem mag. over Christmas time.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reload Bench 1.jpg   Reload Bench 2.jpg  

sneakboxer,

I'm admiring your scale fixture and it's ingenious design. If I'm right the four non-metallic screws in the corners of the wood base allow you to adjust the scale to level on whatever surface you set up on, very well thought out.

Sneakboxer - I just looked a little closer at your pics. I noticed you have a Mitutoyo box. I have the same one - dial calipers I bought years ago while working at a machine shop. That's a fine measuring tool!

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Here's my set-up in my garage. I'm a little cramped but comfy in the garage as we have the kids' wheeler and snowmachine in the garage--we actually park a vehicle in the other half of the garage.

I store powder/bullets, scales, calipers, etc... in the cabinet and there's also a white 36" cabinet below the bench that you may not see. I've got room below the white cabinet for a footlocker too. Handmade the bench to fit in that spot, it also has a little ammo/brass storage area on the right side of the bench.

I've been at it for a year or so and am going to get serious about ramping up production as I finally bought a chrony & tripod as it seemed kinda wasteful to just shoot handloads and not record the velocity when its so simple. Going to jump into loading 444 Marlin & 44 Rem mag. over Christmas time.

Tim
    Another Lee press user - I was beginning to think I was alone!

sneakboxer,

I'm admiring your scale fixture and it's ingenious design. If I'm right the four non-metallic screws in the corners of the wood base allow you to adjust the scale to level on whatever surface you set up on, very well thought out.
    Thanks! for those of us in older homes its pretty hard to find a level surface. I used brass to avoid sparks and and magnetic issues. It is probably unnecessary but i"m new at this and don't want a rifle bolt in the face. All the parts cost me about $20 and it holds level from one day to the next. If anyone wants to copy it i'd recommend only using 3 screws and t-nuts. That would level faster and be just as stable.

AK soldier, Thanks for the compliment. The Lee hand press works great. I just started and within two trips to the range i shrank my 5-shot groups from 1.5in with factory premium Winchesters to .380 center to center 5-shot groups using reloader-15 and nosler 165BTs. I have strait fell in love with reloading, to the point shooting almost just a function of making reloadible brass. Heck i shot a little buck last week and i spent more time looking for the brass than i did the deer.

Thanks to all the posters here you are a wealth of knowledge.

Fun seeing the variety of loading stations. I'm still growing since I couldn't reload for many years while I lived in gov't housing. Was raised with my Dad reloading, and thoroughly enjoy making my own. This is in my den, which was recently declared Mike's room by my wife when I retired from the CG. Timing coincided with my daughter moving out so my wife adopted the daughter's room as her craft room.

I've wanted a nice heavy wood bench, but haven't found one in Kodiak and wasn't inclined to build one for the space since it might change in size. So, I used the heavy plastic table you see in the pic. Static hasn't and shouldn't be a problem since humid air isn't a problem here. To get the press really stable, I mounted it to a piece of plywood and particle board glued and screwed together. Works great clamped to the table. Trimmer is on another board that is clamped to the table when used. When I get a heavy wood table, I can just relocate these items onto it. Wall mounted shelves are handy, but my expansion is going to force me to take some of the higher shelves for reloading supplies too.

Room also has my desktop computer on the opposite wall. Handy to spin around and research loads or ideas.

Marshall, like your setup minus the heat. Nice inventory. Envious your running Amsoil too. I sold and used it for 20 years till I moved back to Kodiak post 9/11. Dang shipping restrictions made it impossible to get product shipped over here unless I did so in pallet loads.....which was way more than I used. Running Mobil 1 now since it's locally avail. (back to the normal show).

Name:	ReloadingBench2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	42853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ReloadingBench.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	42852

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast