Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had Negative Experience At GNG

Default Had Negative Experience At GNG

Wife and I went in to the zoo for a few days. While at GNG, my wife decided to buy a shotgun for her brother, as he does a great deal of hunting for his mom to ensure she doesn't run out of food.

GNG is one of the very few firearms businesses that my wife will go into, and recommend to other women, because the salesmen have NEVER talked down to her, or in any way acted condescendingly to her because she's a woman.

While I was looking at all the toys, a very nice salesman (a black fellow), walked up to her and asked if she'd like to see anything in particular. She told him she'd been thinking of purchasing a shotgun for her bother. So he asked what type of shotty did he have, pump or auto...and so on...carefully determining her what she was thinking of buying and what brand and model. She settled on a Remington 870 12 ga. with the laminated stock for $359.00. She wanted to sleep on it and so we began walking out until I saw the group of Colt M4 copies leaning against the wall.

I had my wife hold a few, and pointed out to her they had the heavy barrel, and so were heavier, than the original A-1 Colt SP1's from the mid-70's to whenever they went to the heavier barrels. It was at this point a young fellow behind the counter asked loudly if I was talking about the 14.5" barreled carbines. I told him no, but the civilian 16.5" barreled version from the early 70's to 80's. He looked at me like I was nuts, then said again loudly, that he worked on guns all the time, and had never seen anything like what I was talking about....we just left while the helpful salesman looked apologetically at us.

We were going to go back the next day to pick up the Remmie, but I checked an online sales site for Alaska and found a Mossberg 835.

I have written a nice letter to the management of GNG describing the excellent experience my wife had. I really wish I could remember the black guys name, as identifying him as "the black guy" is kind of tacky, but seriously, I don't know his NAME. If you do go into GNG, bring the wife, this fellow is nice, skilled, and will probably be able to talk your wife into buying something for you.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Angry

My wife and I had a similar problem with an Ohio gunshop. We walked in, this stupid old crusty salesman and a customer started talking down to us and then said he would like to buy some of that, WHICH IS MY WIFE! I yelled at them and walked out. Another place which is a good place as the owner and gunsmith are family friends of mine, I brought in an old shotgun and a revolver for work and this idiot there propped up against a gun case says my great uncle's old heirloom shotgun, which he just died from cancer, "he must have used it on himself!" I was so pissed and apaulled, my wife was standing there in shock, so I unleash unholy hell against that idiot. He was just a shmuch know it all that was there to start trouble. Anywhere you go, you can run into idiots. Oh, my wife
    loves gun shows too, but a few idiots there when they found out we were newly married told us it was a mistake for me and there condolences. People make me sick at times..... :x

Gunshops, as a whole, have the rudest employees and/or owners in the retail industry. There are certainly good examples, but overall they are way worse than average.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I have written a nice letter to the management of GNG describing the excellent experience my wife had. I really wish I could remember the black guys name, as identifying him as "the black guy" is kind of tacky, but seriously, I don't know his NAME. If you do go into GNG, bring the wife, this fellow is nice, skilled, and will probably be able to talk your wife into buying something for you.
    I want to say Herb or Harold, but that's a stretch. In any case, you're 100% right about him. Top notch. I've never had any problems in there, but I always kinda seek this guy out. There's a couple of others in there that are long on theory and image and short on experience. I might deal with them someday when and if they grow up.

Default The Polite Educated "Blackman" Is Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Wife and I went in to the zoo for a few days. While at GNG, my wife decided to buy a shotgun for her brother, as he does a great deal of hunting for his mom to ensure she doesn't run out of food.

GNG is one of the very few firearms businesses that my wife will go into, and recommend to other women, because the salesmen have NEVER talked down to her, or in any way acted condescendingly to her because she's a woman.

While I was looking at all the toys, a very nice salesman (a black fellow), walked up to her and asked if she'd like to see anything in particular. She told him she'd been thinking of purchasing a shotgun for her bother. So he asked what type of shotty did he have, pump or auto...and so on...carefully determining her what she was thinking of buying and what brand and model. She settled on a Remington 870 12 ga. with the laminated stock for $359.00. She wanted to sleep on it and so we began walking out until I saw the group of Colt M4 copies leaning against the wall.

I had my wife hold a few, and pointed out to her they had the heavy barrel, and so were heavier, than the original A-1 Colt SP1's from the mid-70's to whenever they went to the heavier barrels. It was at this point a young fellow behind the counter asked loudly if I was talking about the 14.5" barreled carbines. I told him no, but the civilian 16.5" barreled version from the early 70's to 80's. He looked at me like I was nuts, then said again loudly, that he worked on guns all the time, and had never seen anything like what I was talking about....we just left while the helpful salesman looked apologetically at us.

We were going to go back the next day to pick up the Remmie, but I checked an online sales site for Alaska and found a Mossberg 835.

Tom is the polite guy, the owners name is Joe and the surly one was likely Yog

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamonte View Post
    Tom is the polite guy, the owners name is Joe and the surly one was likely Yog
    Yes, yes, and doubtful. Yog is neither young nor does he work on guns all the time, and he wouldn't have claimed to. Plus if Tom is the "black fellow" then I doubt Yog would simply be referred to as "a young fellow". And Tom would say "Why yes, and I do look great in my blackness!" or something similar.

It's very hard to get my wife to go into gun shops. With one exception Boondocks in Eagle River. I have witnessed dirtbags behind the counter talking down to her. It drives me crazy... As a man does it make you feel better to talk down to women that are interested in shooting. Last year for X-mas she went to $&@$%# warehouse. She was going to get
    me a scope. The salesman instead of helping her find a nice scope. He told her; he doesn't have time to deal with her, and she can come back when she knows what she
    wants. I never got that scope or any shooting or hunting gifts. That was it for her, she was done with these guys talking down to her as if she was a child. My wife buys Cabela's
    gift cards for me now. So thanks unprofessional dirtbag salesman for screwing up my X-mas and B-day wish list.

-Boondocks deserves credit; thank you for being professional and treating my wife with dignity and respect. You maybe the last business left that does this. There is still hope for this years wish list...

I didn't mean to start anything, but I do know things happen. At least for us, we've never been disappointed my anyone at GNG until the other day, and it was only that one yound guy. Yog seems a fitting name.

Now that I know Tom's name I can insert it into the letter and drop it at the P.O. tomorrow. He deserves credit.

Did anyone ever visit at Turpin Gun & Ammo? This was another great little shop, as was the shop on the Hillside that was more geared to benchrest and super-accurate hunting rifles. I heard that man moved Outside. RAL (Gunrunners), is another little shop my wife likes.

I'll definitely have to visit Boondocks. And next time I also want to stog at WWG to look and feel the big-bore levers. Tried to get the wife to look at a stainless Marlin, she didn't look too enthused. I DO think I could be forgiven if I found an SP1!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

As I said, the young one was probably NOT Yog. Unless he was on the large side of 350 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Gunshops, as a whole, have the rudest employees and/or owners in the retail industry. There are certainly good examples, but overall they are way worse than average.
    It is a special salesmen (of any ware), especially if commissioned, who is widely considered nice and pleasant. Those who are have to be the best, know how to treat people, and likely prosper. The proverbial bad salesman is the used car salesman, but I have to agree that a few Alaska gun salesmen can be the most arrogant know-it-alls ever. I think they like to try to impress folks with their knowledge. I've never met this Tom fellow, but he sounds like the kind of salesman I can really like to talk to. I haven't been into GNG for at least 10 years, but I've never had a bad experience there like I have at other places.

If the owner of any gun shop, whether it be GNG or any other cared one bit, they would look at the video. All Gun Shops are under extensive video/audio surveilance.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

This is probably a good subject to talk about.

My interpretation of my own experiences is that there is a lotta Macho, and Braggadocio, among Hunters, Gun Lovers, and even Competitive Shooters. It seems that guns, no matter what the association with guns is, causes a percentage of them to get some kind of arrogant attitude about them.

I spose it's not that unusual to find them on both sides of the gun counter. I imagine that the sales people sometimes get impatient with the Lookers, who aren't about to be buyers that day. Also, the people that are only interested in price, and should have gone directly to Walmart, instead of wasting THEIR time.

I'm just trying to see both sides, here. I'm not trying to justify poor or rude treatment of anyone as a customer. If I was the owner of a store, I would notice how my employees treat the customers, and I would NOT, tolerate it. Not in ANY business, because too much business is lost that way.

Reportedly, most new small businesses don't last very long at all.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've had numerous bad experiences in there, unfortunate for a local shop. Plenty of other places to go for firearms and accessories in this town.

I have had bad/rude experiences at about every gun shop I have ever been to (GNG, Wild West, Ammo King, Gunreunners, AK Custom Firearms, Mountain View Sports, Sportsmans, Boondocks, Pawn Shops, even when i had a garage sale and sold a few guns there was a big jerk who dropped by) except Ammo Can, but the guy there is really soft spoken in general. Something about guns shops seems to command a certain number of condescending A-holes who forget they are performing retail sales and the customer doesnt buy from someone who belittles them.

I think people get this way because of the seriousness of the product they sell and the TV education this generation has about firearms. I could only imagine my response to sell a device that is designed to kill to someone who wants to spin the revolver cylinder and slam it shut, while holding it sideways. I dont blame some of them for being jaded in this way and very worried about uneducated/unqualified people looking into firearms.

I just think they should remember that to be that way loses business. One of the aforementioned gun shops had an exchange with me like this (and I am young but study as much as possible about guns and own over 10. young face though)

Me - How much is this M1 carbine worth? A senile old man offered it to me for $150 and I took it.
    Them - Who's the manufacturer, kid?
    Me - Not sure. Where is it marked and what difference does it make?
    Them - Whatever. The computer is too far away to google it. Figure it out and come back to us.
    (Said carbine ended up being the second rarest kind, worth almost $1000 dollars, and they just sat there)
    Me - Oooook, the same old man offered me this Mauser action in a myrtlewood stock with a Hart barrel that he said needs headspaced. I bought it. Here, look at it. Also it needs a few Mauser parts and needs blued. I'm not too sure about it.
    Them - This stupid project of yours could cost $1000, if you dont cut corners. (ended up costing a LOT less from their competitor)
    Me - Ok, do you know where I could maybe just find a new complete bolt for this type 98 mauser?
    Them - (I kid you not, this is verbatim) Do YOU know where to find that?.......Me neither.
    Me - (thinking - If I did know where to find/order that, I would probably own my own D*** gun shop, *****hole)
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

The owner of a shop and I eavesdropped as one of his clerks was condescending and rude to a young couple. Then I had the great pleasure of watching the owner fire him on the spot. I've been a loyal customer ever since. So has that young couple. They haven't bought a gun or ammo anywhere else in the 20 years since the incident.

You'd think the shop owners with rude and consdescending clerks would get a clue. Customers who are treated well quickly become LOYAL customers. Those who aren't treated well have legs.

The problem is, your taking your wife to a gun shop, send her to the cooking store,where she belongs, why you go looking for guns.

I guess that's true if you want to cross guns off the list of gifts she's ever likely to buy you. Think about it when you get a genuine Italian pasta boiler for Christmas.

I had a super positive experience at GNG on Monday. I was in there with my 11 year old daughter looking for a youth model rifle. Frank and Joe didn't pressure us at all. Frank obviously saw that I knew what I was doing and left us alone to do our own thing. Once I looked at everything they had Frank courteously mentioned that he could easily order the rifle I was looking at in 7-08. Joe sold me two rifles a couple years ago and seemed to recognize me again. You could see he was happy to see another kid in the store again. I only go to GNG about once a year, so I only really know who Frank and Joe are. Otherwise, there always seems to be a couple sales guys there that appear to be part timers. There definately was a "younger" guy on Monday that was pressure selling a guy more than I like to hear.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I go to GNG about twice a year now. Back when I was still going up for Air Guard duty I was going in there once a month.
    Tom is a super nice guy who knows his stuff. Joe the owner seems to remember that I still buy at least one high-end item (more than $1,000) once a year and have been for the last 20 years. 350 lb Yog always acts as if he has never seen me before, even though I have bought at least 5 or 6 high end guns from him over the last few years. After you talk to him for a few minutes it all comes back to him... Frank is very good to deal with.
    There was a very annoying young guy there last time.. who does not know squat. He ticked me off enough to leave early.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Could someone identify the annoying young fellow by name, so we all can avoid him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast