Thread: FFL?

Default FFL?

Not sure if this is the place to post this...

Was looking at getting an FFL. figured it'd just be cheaper in the long run, and I could then start to play around on gunbroker.com and websites and such. I just planned on using it for my personal collection, and no real intentions of reselling guns or what not. However, I could/would be open to others to have their firearms shipped up to me and the such.

Anyways, on the FFL form, it basically asks if you are just going to use the license for your personal collection, and if so: do not submit application. It also had if your intention is to only sell at gun shows: do not submit application.

HUH???

Man, i realize there are a lot of steps to make this happen, but just thought it'd be something to get (as I do buy a lot of guns). But they basically only make the FFL for businesses, and not for Joe Schmoe...you wants to buy a lot of guns.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

The feds have been putting an end to the FFL's for non businesses and garage/gun show dealers. Dylan at 7.62 Precision will do transfers for $10, at least he used to.

Sorry, just noticed you are in Nome. Maybe look into getting a business liscense, record book and offering transfers and maybe sell a few guns to justify it???

We had a FFL, and I would "NEVER" ever do that again, and I mean ever.

I guess...but why? You'd think a license is a license. Go through the steps/headache and you can get it. I just thought it'd make buying a firearm and direct shipping easier. guess not...

Oh, i'm sure I could do teh "business" route and just cover the cost of it all just by being the "paperwork guy" on this end. Our local place does it, but it's $35 a pop (which isn't horrible).

AGL4- is it that big of a headache or??

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    AGL4- is it that big of a headache or??
    YEP......They can and will show up at any time to inspect your records. And you have to be open to the public "X" hours. It sucks beyond your wildest imagination.

With so many dealers only charging $10 per transfer it doesnt make any sense to pay the FFL licensing fee anymore, at least to me it doesnt. In addition the state will require you to buy a business license and I think last time I renewed mine it was $50 a year.
    Tennessee

Alaskan22, I have had one for 33 years - like some have said it is getting very difficult to get and keep. They definitely do not want the basement bandit out there - just a very regulated industry. Besides, the more they can run through larger stores the better chance they have of getting their sales tax revenues. I have kept mine more outa reluctance to "give in" to big brother - but I think the next renewal period will be my last... I will say the agents I have dealt with were pretty good - but I wouldn't say we laughed and chatted like old friends either!
    Another problem you have is getting liability insurance if you try to run it as a business outa your home.... Had 2 feds and 2 state deputies show up on my doorstep one Sunday morning many years ago - a gun I had sold had been passed along to a son who was 25 I think but he had some kinda record and could not have a gun. The father had bought the handgun - 25 auto and gave it to his kid - the 25 yr old - who shot his wife in the face in a bar fight! Well, made me pretty sweaty trying to prove I did not know the passing along was going to happen, crap, I didn't even know the guy had a son!
    Good Luck....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The feds issue an FFL for the express purpose of "engaging in the business" of buying and selling firearms. If you actually do that, then you can easily make enough money to make it worth your while. A Curio and Relic license is a "collectors" license, but limits the type of firearms you can purchase on the license. If you are afraid of the feds, and all of us probably should be, to a greater or lesser degree, then it becomes a judgment call whether to get an FFL or not. I have one, and just keep up on my records, that way, if they come knocking at my door, I can sit back and relax while they pore over the books. I plan on keeping my FFL. I have a vision of them being like liquor licenses one day. Limited in number and transferable, for a price.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I heard that the new license is only be granted if you have a store front? The rest of the guys that are doing out of the garage are just grandfathered in if they don't let it laps.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

There is no law or regulation requiring a store front. I got my FFL two years ago and operate out of my garage.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Yeah...I think i can swallow $35/a pop to have it shipped up to the store up here.

Sounds like that is the cheapest way to "avoid" any headaches...

I did not want to pass bad scoop on that. I had wanted to do the same thing and get my FFL and do some sales on the side when not buying for the wife (LOL ). I just did not want big brother looking over my shoulder everytime i turned around. I have a buddy in Wasilla that has his and he does the transfer's for 10$ and it take me all of 5 min to do and i get a cup of coffee to boot.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I belonged to Washington Arms Collectors in Puyallp for about 15 years. Had my FFL for 5 years. Best gun show I ever consistently attended. once every other month.....aprox 1950-2100 tables. FUN FUN FUN!
    I worked at Trojan Nuc Plant and this was my therapy.
    ATF agents harassed the you-know-what out of us.
    I finally let the FFL lapse and now have a Collectors/Curio license.