Thread: Anyone have experience with a manual tilt on a 40hp?

Default Anyone have experience with a manual tilt on a 40hp?

I'm looking at a Lund SSV 16 with a 40hp 2 stroke yammi. It is a manual tilt. I think the engine weighs about 170 pounds.

Will this get old real quick? Or is it not too bad once you get used to it? Upgrading to an electric tilt is not feasible - cheaper to trade the engine.

I ask because the boat / combo is used but a super deal.

Its not a problem at all. People used to do it all the time. On a skiff you really are not going to be needing to adjust the trim much for efficiency (since they are already really efficient) while running. It will be set up close. Do not worry about it at all.

Sobie2

I grew up with a 40 hp 2-stroke Yamaha on a 16 ft skiff. The manual tilt was never a problem and it never got old. Sure the power tilt on the 40 hp 4-stroke is a nice easy thumb switch on the tiller, but I wouldn't not buy the boat because it's lacking.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I have a manual on my 40 tiller. No biggie...

Works fine.

Perfect thanks. Nothing worse than buying then getting that "uh oh" feeling because of something like a manual tilt. I won't let it stop me.

I agree with all the above posts except for one thing. My wife's a pretty small gal and she struggled a bit to tilt a 40hp Johnson 2-stroke. It took her awhile to figure out how to get enough leverage to pull it up. Once she did she was fine but she didn't enjoy it.

That being said, just about any guy can handle a manual tilt on even the largest of 40hp engines.

Remember the days before power tilt? The old 88spl took some grunt to get up. Don't miss out because of power tilt.

The only thing that might be a pain is that you have a console so having to get up and tilt the motor may be a bit tiresome. But at that point the electric tilt or new boat may be in the picture.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

These things work great. I've used one for 10 years on an old 65hp Merc that weighs a ton on my river boat. It's all about the leverage.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...6965&langId=-1

- Jay