Thread: who owns state counting tower"s

Default who owns state counting tower"s

In my opinoin it is the residents of of Alaska and as a co-owner i am pretty perturbed at what i saw on Sarah Palin's my face page and the film clip that did not make her show,that shows her daughter (Piper)and dad climbing the counting tower on wood river with the head biologist for wood/nushagak river.funny how even the counts were low on both kings and reds on the Nushagak and the subsitence and sports fishermen were shut down the commercail fishers remained wide open until they had finished filming the queens show.

It is hard to figure out what point you are trying to make. Counters stay in the towers for a period of time before openers and well after the openers. Trying to start a conspiracy theory based on someones visit to a fish tower and the opening and closing of seasons based upon that visit are pretty flimsy.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

first,i should state not happy with seeing a kid climbing a fish counting tower for the sake of mom's show,secound,just looking at how the nush fishers were moved to the wood after filming was done due to low counts,in my opinion it should have been done way earlier in the season,and yes i think some fish openings were in conjunction with the queens filming.

ADFG is usually quite happy (and proud) to show people what they do -- and good for them for doing so. I don't know if, for liability reasons, they have a policy about people climbing the scaffold towers or not.

I'm no fan of the lady, but I find it impossible to believe that the closures you mention have anything to do with her show's filming.

When i was a kid that age i climbed silo's on the farm that were higher than that. It was all in a days work. Leave the poor woman alone. I am not a Palin fan but whats next? you dont like her eye shadow??

not sure what your point is, I will tell you that the Wood River/Nushagak district is a multi stock fishery and a huge pain in the butt for the management. Not sure you have any data or care, but all rivers in bristol bay have met sockeye management goals for the past four years (as long as I've been on towers). Chinook runs on the Nush have been fairly poor for the past two years, and the sport fishery has been curtailed, the commercial fishery has also been curtailed, to say anything else is downright false. I'm also not sure what the wood river tower has to do with the Nushagak river? The towers are not used to count kings, we see very few kings I saw a grand total of one last year, maybe. Kings in the Nush are counted at the portage creek sonar station, and the rest of bristol bay kings are counted via aerial survey and managed primarily by the sport fish division.

I've been working on a tower in Bristol Bay for the past four years, if you have any substantive questions about the process and how we collect our data and what its used for go ahead and drop me a PM. Like most in ADF&G I take pride in what I do, Tim Sands (likely the Bio you mentioned) is also a great guy and a great biologist, if you are civil and ask legitimate questions I am confident that he will take the time to answer your questions in a professional and respectful way. Especially in winter (bothering a management bio in season is a bad idea, they are all pretty stressed)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

No doubt, Sarah Palin is the root of all things bad in Alaska.

Be sure to let the folks at MSNBC know about this travesty.

Don't drink and type

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default ok expalin this

sorry to get back so late but had to tend to the trap line,lets point out a couple things.

1st-don't drink-don't smoke-don't toke

2nd-did ak mokey and danthrock read and look at the vidio ?

3rd-were where you ak monkey when the 3rd grader was climbing the tower?

4th-how is it that the palin family can harvest king salmon when all user groups were shut down except the commercial fleet.i am sure that they reported it on a piece of paper as tim asked all commercial users to do-what a joke.

5th saw the last show and the bear watching,oh my is that a salmon fillet,thought it was illegal to feed the bears.not under palin rules.

6th-just my personal ALASKAN view

what would be your complaint if Joe Biden was filming a video about the sporting opportunities available to EVERYONE in Alaska?
    Sarah Palin is not perfect, but you sure have your bowels in an uproar.
    this really is about you not liking Sarah Palin....not a thing about someone losing a fishing opportunity or a 3rd grader clibing off the ground.
    when i was 8-9 years old, i climbed eucalyptus trees that were 85-90 ft tall.
    other than some severe brain damage, i have no residual problems.
    still, i can relate to your concerns quite well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by guess who View Post
    5th saw the last show and the bear watching,oh my is that a salmon fillet,thought it was illegal to feed the bears.not under palin rules.

6th-just my personal ALASKAN view
    lol a dead salmon parts along a salmon stream where the bears catch them, and peel the skin off and only eat parts of them? Imagine that.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

**** Dan...i'm finishing a Jack & coke as I'm responding to this! I'll have to call Keith Olberman and confess LOL. Does this apply to texting too? If so then I owe Jedi Master Salmon Slayer an apology too...hahaha what a strange thread

First off I am not a Palin fan at all.............infact I think we all should petition the government to have them removed from Alaska for good but that isn't going to happen. Now with that being said I have a hard time believing that any film crew or any one from that family would do any thing illegal and put it on tv for every one to see. True I don't think they are the smartest group around but I seriously doubt that they are that dumb.

As to your point about the comm guys fishing longer then the sport guys well that is life in AK. Truth be told the amount of money the state makes is the same in reguards to comm fish, and sport fish industries,if you consider the whole picture, the big reason why the comm guys get a bigger piece of the pie is simply because there is more of them speaking up then weekend warriors and guides. So my advice to you is speek up and be heard. Go to your local advisory boards to the board of fish and complain like me!

'bowfan my clicker arrow was wavering above your rep star, I was even getting twitchy, but that last line? :ahem: bud it killed the mood

lol well I hope it would, your after fish just like the rest of us. And I am not against the comm guys what so ever, I was just pointing out that if the sport fisherman want a bigger piece of the pie then they need to speak up like the comm fish guys do. Nothing more. And more importantly which I see happening at some point before we all get shut down, is every one getting together to solve the pollock by catch issue, because they are hurting both sport and salmon comm guys. And so you know were I am comming from, I don't have a personal vendetta I just want more fish. I fully understand that there is a need for comm guys, and they do help regulate the fishery, you would be foolish to think other wise. If all those fish did make it into the rivers it would destroy them, our streams are way more vanerable then those futher south, and thus makes it harder for them to recover.