Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ithaca 37 Defense

Default Ithaca 37 Defense

Looking at this shotgun.
    Like most about it, especially the ruggedness and bottom eject. Also made in USA.
    Not sure about the fixed barrel, though.
    Other than cleaning and lack of other barrel/choke options, are there any deal breaking negatives I should be considering.
    Appreciate the input.

I've got several and have nothing but good to say about them. I'm not sure about the "fixed" barrel though. Is that something new?

I admit mine are older, but on all of them you back off on the knurled nut at the front of the mag tube, then rotate the barrel 90 degrees and pull it out.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've got several and have nothing but good to say about them. I'm not sure about the "fixed" barrel though. Is that something new?

I admit mine are older, but on all of them you back off on the knurled nut at the front of the mag tube, then rotate the barrel 90 degrees and pull it out.
    +1 I totally agree. I don't know either, my barrel comes off. Also the M-37 like the Browning M-12 you can hold the trigger back, and just rack the slide, and it goes "BANG".

Been shooting mine since the early 70's, love it. The fixed barrel is new, made to shoot rifled slugs. I would assume the barrel is rifled.

Quote Originally Posted by jdb3 View Post
    Been shooting mine since the early 70's, love it. The fixed barrel is new, made to shoot rifled slugs. I would assume the barrel is rifled.
    Bummer, don't buy it. No reason to have a dedicated slug gun up here.

According to the Ithaca website and the review I saw on TV yesterday, it is a a fixed barrel smoothbore.

The TV show noted no negative comments about the fixed barrel (which I am skeptical about), and did not say anything about being able to hold the trigger down and pumping away (which I would like very much).

Thanks for the input, and I am about to google up and see if the new model 37 has any reviews.

Wow. Just read a few internet reviews, and most people are crucifying the fixed barrel. Also, that a side eject is better on a defense shotgun to single load if needed, which makes sense.
    Maybe I'll look for an older 37 in good shape and modify it to my liking.
    Again, thanks for the input.

360, The older ones have a plethoria (?) of barrels to meet your needs. I have one gun and three barrels and love the hell out of them. It is also the only one with bottom ejection. With my slug barrel, I can put a group within three inches with iron sights at a hundred yards. All with factory loads. Buy a used one and save some money and then shop for barrels.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

So many slug hunters are pinning or set screwing their barrels for accuracy it will be mute to many.The old Winchester mod.12 Y was fixed barrel and a nice shooting gun.All around the old 37 is a fine shooting gun with old time workmanship.There is a bit more to takeing apart then Remington and such
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by DT360 View Post
    Wow. Just read a few internet reviews, and most people are crucifying the fixed barrel. Also, that a side eject is better on a defense shotgun to single load if needed, which makes sense.
    Maybe I'll look for an older 37 in good shape and modify it to my liking.
    Again, thanks for the input.
    A very nice older one will run $395.00 to $495.00 at Gunshows, they are slow sellers, because everyone wants Black Plastic. A well used and maybe rough M-37 will run $295.00
    My current M-37 had a 30" Full Choke, I just hack-sawed it to 20" and filed it square.

Good info. I'll be looking for one.
    Thanks gentlemen.
    P.S. My Dad still has the Model 12 he bought with his mustering-out pay after his time occupying Europe after WWII. My brother is now hunting with it. Great gun.

Long as you're looking at M37's, keep your eyes open for the Featherlight and UltraFeatherlites in 20 gauge. I've got one of each, and they're incredible hunters. The Featherlite comes in right at 6 pounds, and the Ultra is real close to 5 pounds. Chambers are only 2 3/4", but even short mags will make you think twice before shooting them again in the Ultra. They're an absolute treat to carry and shoot with standard loads. I once thought about selling the Ultra, but my daughter theatened my hide if I did. She grew up shooting it, and she has her heart set on my granddaughter growing up with it. Suits me just fine!!!

Highly recommend the older 37's!!! I have two old Model 37's and love them both. Neither were bought new. One is a 16 ga. with an adjustable choke. The other is a 12ga. that I bought from police surplus. It has rifle sights and short barrel cylinder bore. Years ago they were used by a lot of agencys as "riot" guns. I've never had an issue with either of them, they are rugged and reliable. I've had the 16 ga. for at least 35 years and the 12 ga for 26 years.

Long as you're looking at M37's, keep your eyes open for the Featherlight and UltraFeatherlites in 20 gauge. I've got one of each, and they're incredible hunters. The Featherlite comes in right at 6 pounds, and the Ultra is real close to 5 pounds. Chambers are only 2 3/4", but even short mags will make you think twice before shooting them again in the Ultra. They're an absolute treat to carry and shoot with standard loads. I once thought about selling the Ultra, but my daughter theatened my hide if I did. She grew up shooting it, and she has her heart set on my granddaughter growing up with it. Suits me just fine!!!
    Ithaca made a model-87 in 1987 which is the same as a model-37 accept it has a 3'' Chamber. I had one and sold it, color me stupid.

When buying an older Model 37 make sure it has the roto barrel mark on it. They are good for steel shot. As indicated above, most are 2 3/4 inch but you can still use the 3 inch aftermarket barrels, just can't shoot 3 inch shells in them.

Default Jdb3

You have me a little confused. What is the roto barrel symbol and where it it located on the 37's?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I bought a 12ga Featherweight Deluxe new in 1968 or so. 2 3/4", mod choke, 28" barrel, vent rib, came with a fiber optic front sight. Great shotgun. Doesn't do steel shot, but still use it for grouse.
    I'd like to find an older 20ga.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

The old Ithaca Glow Worm front sight ahead of its time
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I'd like to find an older 20ga.

The fifth (5th) gun down from the top on this link. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/sho...fles-For-Trade
    NRA Life Member since 1974

There's a nice 20 featherweight in the ads now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast