Thread: c-dory

Default c-dory

I am looking at a 22' 1990 c-dory cabin cruiser with a yamaha 115 (20 hrs), 8 hp kicker (yamaha), all electronics (gps, chart pltter, vhf, radar), shrimp pot puller, diesel heater, trailer, all well cared for (from a friend of the families and I know for a fact he dumped the boat in fresh water after every use and ran the motors).

My question is what do you think it's worth?

Depending on condition of the fiberglass, I'd say between $30-35K. Only because it's 20 yrs old, even though the engine is new.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Low to mid $20k's

Kind of hard to say. As a wild-*** guess, I'd say 15-20K. The hull is 20 yrs old, but it's got the new motor (or is it relatively unused?). C-dory's seem to hold up well. Has it always been stored on the trailer, or moored in the water? The electronics package can be a 'tilt' factor...are they higher end brands/models and relatively new?

You might want to do a craigslist search c-dorys in cities near water and see if you can find a few that are comparable...it will give you a better range (for instance, there are two recent ones on the Seattle craigslist...much newer, though, but it can give you some idea). Does someone know if you can do a multi- or all-city search on CL?

Question Core???

Fiberglass boats traditionally gain weight due to water intrusion in the core (wood parts), always an issue with twenty year old boats. BUT, the C-Dory might be an exception! I'm just guessing, but they may not have as much core to hold that water as other fiberglass boats. Thus, probably a good buy since the fiberglass last forever and motors are replaceable.

I would ask a C-Dory owner if I am on the right track about the core.

The electronics are top of the line 5 yrs ago. The boat was trailered. Fiberglass is in excellent condition! The boat spent half its life in Washington in mostly fresh water. The other half in AK on 10-20 trips a year in the salt. The overall condition of everything on a scale of 1-10 is an 8. The asking price is 25,000. It also has trim tabs..forgot about that.

If you are serious and going to be needing a bank loan, the bank will require a marine survery who will give you the market value of the boat and its condition.

If you are buying a used boat always get a survey. Unless it is a cheap boat or skiff...

Sobie2

Ditto on the survey...even if you aren't financing the purchase. A good surveyor can spot things that most of us wouldn't think much about. Some can also check the hull for water intrusion (is that some kind of ultrasound device they use?).

The final sales price depends on how much you really want it, in conjunction with how badly they need to sell it (yes, obvious). It sounds like you're relatively confident that it's in good condition and well cared for (still get a survey). If it's exactly (or nearly) what you're in the market for...it really sucks to have a good boat get away from you. Back when I bought my first significant boat (more than the skiffs I'd had prior), I bickered over what, in hindsight, was a relatively trivial amount and someone else snatched it away in the meantime. But, the boat market was hot back then...and it's probably much cooler at this time (of year and with the general economy). When I sold the same boat a few years ago...I had a bunch of tire kickers and low-ball offers for the first week or two and then a guy totally pounced on it for the full asking price because it happened to be exactly what he wanted...and it was spring and the boating/fishing season was just getting under way.

anyone know a surveyor on the penninsula?

Some one can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the C-dory has a balsa wood core so it would have the same problems with water intrusion. In my experience with a 20 year old glass boat with a wood core, I never had problems with water intrusion but we always kept the boat garaged and on the trailer when not in use. I think keeping it out of the weather and not storing it on the water made a huge difference.

Good luck with the boat and if you end up getting it be sure to post some pics.

Every time the C-dory thing comes up, someone refers everyone to the cbrat site. How many of you actually take a look is any bodies guess but you can certianly fine tune your opinion there. Being owners ourselves, i've spent many hours on their site.
    www.c-brats.com
    Mike

I would venture to guess low to mid 30K. Agree with the previous member, cut and paste your question over to the C-Brats forum, there you will get way more input on the subject.

If the boat is as good as you say with new electronics, main, and all the other stuff it is a rare find. I would love to have that 115 engine on my 22ft c-dory even thourgh my Honda 90 gets us anywhere we want to go in PWS.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.