Thread: Bushdwellers recycling...

Default Bushdwellers recycling...

Love the thread on Bushdwellers and it got me thinking.

I grew up in the bush (Bristolb Bay) and we threw things away after considering what else they could be used for. To this day I have trouble throwing away cream cheese tubs cause they are very nice tupperware substitutes. I have tons more but would love to hear what you all re-use...

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Love the thread on Bushdwellers and it got me thinking.

I grew up in the bush (Bristolb Bay) and we threw things away after considering what else they could be used for. To this day I have trouble throwing away cream cheese tubs cause they are very nice tupperware substitutes. I have tons more but would love to hear what you all re-use...

George

I don't know where to start, I save all the tubs also, zip lock bags I wash and reuse, peanut butter containers, raisin containers, containers of any kind. Whenever I find a nail, screw, bolt, washer or anything like it, I keep. I cruise the free section of Craigslist and anything I see that I can use, I have a friend pick it up for me. I make or build whatever I can from the trees around me. As you know already, I recycle coolers. I will work on a list of things I recycle.

Mop handles both metal and especially wood never get dispossed of. If the threads are in tack then they are paint roller extended hands and wood handles are just great for dowls and stir sticks for many situations.

4ever, know what you mean, peanut butter jars are awesome storage containers. I am never without one full of srews, nails, bolts, nuts and washer.

George

Mop handles both metal and especially wood never get dispossed of. If the threads are in tack then they are paint roller extended hands and wood handles are just great for dowls and stir sticks for many situations.

4ever, know what you mean, peanut butter jars are awesome storage containers. I am never without one full of srews, nails, bolts, nuts and washer.

George

Yep, I made a bird feeder out of oneIMG_2662.jpg

4ever,

How about a photo of the inside of you cabin. Small places are if interest to me. I spent a winter in a cabin built out of a tent frame. 8x12 with a drip stove, if the wind was blowin hard you had trouble keeping a candle lit. Small places everything has a place and if it isn't there it is cluttering and in the way...

George

The roofing, windows, doors, woodstove, bathtub, sinks, and even the nails in my cabin were once part of other structures. You can re-use alot if you plan ahead and scrounge around.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

4ever,

How about a photo of the inside of you cabin. Small places are if interest to me. I spent a winter in a cabin built out of a tent frame. 8x12 with a drip stove, if the wind was blowin hard you had trouble keeping a candle lit. Small places everything has a place and if it isn't there it is cluttering and in the way...

George

A picture will be tough at this time, I don't have any, just never thought of taking any. I can't take any because I took a winter job out by Nondalton until June 1st. I got talked into taking care of Kirk Gays lodge this winter. Long story

4ever,
    That's good on ya man. You in town or on the grid? What you got for winter projects?

George

4ever,
    That's good on ya man. You in town or on the grid? What you got for winter projects?

George

I'm about 2 miles down the lake from the village. I am hauling water, using an outhouse and buring wood. There is a phone. Winter projects? First would be, to get a moose but, doesn't look good. Do some bird and rabbit hunting. Ice fishing is a big thing. Take a trip up to Lake Clark
    JOHN