Thread: What is your dream Alaska river float trip?

Default What is your dream Alaska river float trip?

Which Alaska river would you float and why if you could?

One with a guaranteed period of NO RAIN. lol

Just seems my last few trips have had one or more days of cold rain to contend with. I'm only whining a little. It's all part of the challenge and experience.

No Bugs and no rain, no one else on the river, no motor boats, no airplanes, lots of wildlife, nice vista's
    every night you watch the northern lights , every day you catch huge fish at will.
    So maybe a time machine would be needed to fulfill some of these wishes, but you know, I like a float that lasts about a week.
    easy float with no water over class II and good camping on islands.
    for nice water and great vista's I like the tried and true Chili river from twin lakes out to the mulchatna and then pick up down stream maybe float all the way to the stuyhok ..
    That used to be an incredible float when the caribou were in the hundreds of thousands over on the Mulchatna, you could see them swim the river several times a day, fishing is good and lots of history on that river.
    Maybe the little Tikchik river from Nishlik lake to Tikchik lake , its Gin clear water and great vista's with differing terrain as you go.
    Maybe Koyukuk river from the bridge down river until you run out of food , time and desire,
    The Alatna river would be one I think I would really enjoy, starting as far up in the Brooks as possible, and floating it down to Allakaket at the koyukuk.
    Oh Yeah,, the Chandalar... that is one I dream about..
    and then...
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

It's a toss-up between ship creek, or cambell creek. They both are challenging, with stunning views, and amazing wildlife sightings. Your taxi cab fare from the airport aside, it's one expensive float though.

I second the Tikchik river float. Have always wanted to take the family on that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Ryan View Post
    Which Alaska river would you float and why if you could?

Depends on many factors Ryan.

Fishing, scenery, solitude, wildlife, hiking, photography, etc...

Tell us more about your primary goals.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

So Many Choices so little time :-)

Anything on the Alaska Pen that does not have a lodge! There are so many pieces of skinny water on the back side to no place special that are never used or rarely used that have some many things to offer. I would start at King Salmon and work my way down past the Chigniks would be a real hoot. Ample locations for support as well to do it but Man you have to have the Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    No Bugs and no rain, no one else on the river, no motor boats, no airplanes, lots of wildlife, nice vista's every night you watch the northern lights , every day you catch huge fish at will.
    So maybe a time machine would be needed to fulfill some of these wishes, but you know, I like a float that lasts about a week. ...
    On this 10-day trip (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ort-and-Photos), there were some bugs (but none that Deet didn't deter) and I only saw the Northern Lights one night, but otherwise I think it meets all of your criteria:

* no rain (except for a little light rain during the first 48 hours);

* no one else on the river;

* no motor boats (until the last day, when we got down to the river confluence);

* no airplanes (only one or two in ten days);

* lots of wildlife (or at least enough--it was so hot and sunny during the last seven days or so that the mammals apparently were sleeping during the day);

* nice vista's; and

* every day you catch huge fish at will.

And one succesfull big brown bear pursuit as well. I'm kidn of wondering ii I ever will have such luck again.

Thanks guys...

Primary goals for the trip are:

1) good fishing - willing to slide this some to gain goal #2
    2) no one else on the river
    3) some good vistas.
    4) wildlife

MarineHawk what river was that you floated... nice pictures and nice bear.

CO Ryan
    What if MarineHawk wants to revisit that river. Should he tell the forum where it is at?

Ryan,

Research the Kobuk, specifically putting in on Lake Minakakosa and taking Beaver Creek down to the Kobuk, then down to a pick up short of the village of Kobuk, or a flight out of Kobuk itself. This would be a nice 10 day trip in mid August. Solitude is always a gamble as you might see a few other folks on rafts. Then again, with luck, you might not. There are a few rivers that would offer great chances of solitude, but the ones I am thinking of are not known for good fishing rivers. The Kobuk is a famous fishery for sheefish, offers great wilderness quality, wildlife, would be a safe float given the lake put in I suggest (avoids canyon sections), and will give you a good shot at solitude. I have not done this river yet, but plan to very soon. I have some information saved to include bush pilot services. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you research this river and find it of interest.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I second the Kokuk for a once in a lifetime rafting and unique fishing trip.
    Hope yor good weather. Count on some bugs.

I did that Kobuk trip one year..It was fantastic..Caribou were everywhere..

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Ryan View Post

MarineHawk what river was that you floated... nice pictures and nice bear.
    Thanks CR. I just saw your comments, as I have been otherwise occupied.

As indicated in the thread, it is one of the many rivers connected to the Nushagak River. My sense is that the remote parts of those many rivers, like others, are fairly similar. One mostly needs to get away from the rivers that have motorized traffic.

As to the precise place, it is not my secret at all. It is my guide's secret. I would be breaking a promise, that predated my going there by about 18 months, if I told. I can't break that promise.

The Nuyakuk, North Fork-Swift, and Sheenjek top my list. Basically if an Alaskan river is doable, I want to float it, but life is only so long.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today