Thread: Anybody reload .270?

Default Anybody reload .270?

Before I go any farther, pardon my ignorance. I will get into reloading when I can afford to, but in the meantime I want to get some loads made up using 90 grain Sierra Varminter Bullets. I don't know what kind of powder would be best, and, yes, I know .270 is overkill for predators. Anybody out there willing to make/sell me some loads like this? I could supply the brass, primers, and bullets. Thanks.

I load for 270Win but I don't load for others as the liability is more than I want to risk. However, If you want, I will let you use my loading gear and do it yourself complete with instructions and advice if you want. I live in the Chugiak area. Shoot me a PM if interested. I don't think there is such a thing as over kill as you can only kill things just so dead. For several years my favorite varmit gun was a 7mm Rem mag with SPEER 115gr HPs at about 3400fps. Very affective on varmits. For the 270 and 90gr pills, I would probably use H4895 for just under 3600fps. I see you are quite a ways from me but the offer is good if you make it up this way.

I don't load it now, but back in the late 60's and early 70's I used a whole lot of 90's to blow up ground squirrels and rockchucks. In my two rifles IMR-4064 stood head and shoulders above all others for accuracy. Neither rifle liked max loads with the 90, but shot extremely well when I dropped vels back to around 3400 fps. I certanily wouldn't use this bullet for fur bearers unless there's a market for half hides. I popped a couple of coyotes with it, and it pretty well cut them in half.

Thanks gentlemen for you responses. I never considered the liability issue. I come from the days of taking personal responsibility, but I can certainly see how that would be a concern for someone. rbuck, I probably won't be making it up that way, but thanks for the offer.

Brownbear, I know there would be substancial damage. I'm mostly interested in the shooting aspect and obtaining pieces of coyote pelt for ruffs. Not interested in pristine rug pelts.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Brownbear, I know there would be substancial damage. I'm mostly interested in the shooting aspect and obtaining pieces of coyote pelt for ruffs. Not interested in pristine rug pelts.
    You'll be fine then. Keep your shots low in the chest, and the back will still be holding together.

Hey BrownBear, any other bullets you used in .27 that were any better for hides?

I'm also trying to "load down" for .270wsm with Predators in mind, was thinking that little 90 (smallest I can find) might be the ticket,
    sounds like the HP part is too much?

So I have some 100gr and 110 in VMax (Hornady), TTSX (Barnes), and Nosler something 110, would any of those be any better for the little furbearers? by your experience?

Or am I going to have a hard time getting away with it in .270 ?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I just don't know. I was trying to blow things up, and in those days the 90 was the best game in town. I can speculate based on using a 7x57 and a 308 for fox and having taken a few coyotes with them incidental to deer hunts. In those a deer bullet in the 2500-2700 fps range barely seemed to expand at all and did little hide damage. I can't think of any bullets larger than .224 that would have a chance of expanding so violently they wouldn't exit, and I doubt many .224's could manage that. My solution, right or wrong, has been to go to bigger bullet for impact, but one that won't expand much at all and minimize hide damage on exit. Experimenting with "solids" in 25 cal, 7mm and 30 cal convinced me that you want tohold velocities down a bit with those too, because high vel often results in a pretty good exit even with the solids, especially if a bone is shattered along the way.

Good question, and your experiments could well trump the speculation I've included with my limited experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Hey BrownBear, any other bullets you used in .27 that were any better for hides?

I'm also trying to "load down" for .270wsm with Predators in mind, was thinking that little 90 (smallest I can find) might be the ticket,
    sounds like the HP part is too much?

So I have some 100gr and 110 in VMax (Hornady), TTSX (Barnes), and Nosler something 110, would any of those be any better for the little furbearers? by your experience?

Or am I going to have a hard time getting away with it in .270 ?
    I have not tried any but have had the same line of thought going on in my head. I have been considering trying some of the tactical bullets designed for the 6.8spc (also .277) They are typically designed for very low penetration in walls and such so I don't know how they would react in animals. I have shot deer with the 110 V-max out of a 6.8spc and it did not exit the deer, but is suspect it would a coyote. I had some lightweight brass solids in .277 that Lehigh bullets had made a small run of though they are not a regular production item. I suspect those would be outstanding on hides as well but I never tried them for that. Barnes has a tactical TSX in 85gr but to me it looks like it would act just like a regular TSX in penetration and expansion. I also wonder about match type bullets. If I only had the time and money to try everything I can think of.

Just finished loading some Speer 90 grain TNT/HP for my .270 Win. I use 55.0 grains of RL-15 and WLR primers C.O.L. 3.170. These chronograph at 3520 FPS with
    SD 15 FPS. Work great on predators except fox, and well bear of course.