Thread: good beginner sled

Default good beginner sled

i moved up to ak about a month ago, fortunately found a snowmachine to borrow, but it's not my ideal machine. i'm able to borrow it because it needs a little work, which i'm attempting to perform.

my question is, what is a good machine for me to start with. i'm 5'10" 165lbs, usually in fair physical condition, though rarely ever in great physical condition. need something mainly for hunting, and i live in the southwest region (near dillingham), we have a few hills that i'd like to have the ability to climb. don't want anything too heavy, and needs to be able to float in soft snow without much trouble. suggestions?

Trail RMK with a 144" track! Its got a 550 fan which is more practical for the bush. Its reasonably light and it floats well, plus its an RMK and good all around backcountry sled. The trail version won't climb big hills as well as its bigger brothers but it will still easily outclimb Tundras, Skandics, Phazers etc.

Default EFI

I ride an RMK and like it, If I had to chose a hunting, general purpose sled I'd make sure it had EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) that way you never have to mess with the jets and it doesn't matter how warm or cold it is.

Get away from Polaris and you'll never touch your jets. Put a TempaFlow on your Polaris and you'll forget you have jets.

Beginner sled? It depends what it is you expect to be doing. Chasing friends up a river is different than chasing them up Courage at Summit Lake. Chasing birds and checking traps is different again. Look at what your neighbors are riding, and look at the available dealer support in your area. That'd be a big part of my decision. All the mfgrs make good stuff. None of it's any good if nobody's around to fix it.
    Last edited by Mr. Pid; 02-19-2007 at 10:29.

Default repair

when you are out of town ,repair is a big problem ,if you stay 2 cycle with carbs you can do a lot of work your self, EFI is a step up getting harder to work on, 4 cycle impossable to work on ,don't get me wrong you can do some work on them but every step up it is harder to work on , you will need special tools an items on the 4 cycle to tell you what is wrong, as far as waranty it wont happen out in the bush unless a dealer is in your town or close by my 2 cts