Thread: Dog runs off when we're camping . .

Default Dog runs off when we're camping . .

We have a beagle, and when we go camping we tie her out on a lead attached to a stake or similar. On a couple occasions, she has gotten loose and run off into the woods. She always comes back, but we worry that one of these days a lynx will get her.

How to stop this? Has anyone ever seen or heard of dangling something from the dog's collar that will impede their front feet and hinder running? What about a small, trap-drag type thing from the collar?

Anyone got any solutions . . ideas?

welcome to the world of beagle ownership! Im not sure how to solve your problem other than using a choke type collar when you tie her up. Thats what I have to do to mine. He cant wiggle out of it. Mostly you need to train her to come. Electronic colors work wonders for that. But beagles are born to run and hunt.

There aint nothing that I could tie to my dog that would keep him from running. He would get a little ways, then get tangled up. Then they bark like crazy and you got to untie them.

The way Ive operated for the 7 years with my beagle is just to let him run. Yeah it stresses on you cause there is alot of ways for them to die out there, but, thats the best I can do. He runs himself ragged in a day or two then he will stay around a little better.

course not every area is appropriate for that method. Then revert back to choke collar.

Try going to a body collar that goes around the middle of back and front legs. Connect that to a small steel chain. The can get the neck and choker collars off with out much of a problem.

I never put a leash on my dog, so she never wants to run off. It's weird like that.
    Beagles are notorious for following their noses. LIke RFM said, once they wear themselves out, they become a bit more obediant.
    Good luck, and BTW, your beagle would tree a lynx no problem!

I forgot to add, like tailwind said. Not much Will face a barking beagle. I know moose run from mine. A bear ran from my buddies beagle. Coyote or wolf are my two big worries. Traps are the biggest thing to worry about. I really hate it when my dog goes off scent for awhile. Its really nerve racking to listen to 5 minutes of total silence after hearing a steady bay for 20 minutes. I always panic and think he is in a 330 or a snare.

I have no solution to your question but this is in regard to tethering your dog... just a word of warning.. I used to do that until a ranger in a national park told me a tethered dog is helpless against the attack of a critter. since then, I have keep mine in a kennel unless I am right there with her.