Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Mod's

Default Winter Mod's

Here's a JIB crane I've been working on for a while. Inspired by stid2677's spits lift. Thought it would a good multi use tool with my winch. Unfortunatly I cant get it all the way up in the garage to try it out. lol
    IMG_0175.jpgIMG_0176.jpg

And here is the beginning of a couple of saddle tanks inspired by Akgramps. They'll be 30 gal a piece. Also a new KEM sand trap thats on the way from PWeld, $170 best price I found by far. IMG_0168.jpgcyclon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    And here is the beginning of a couple of saddle tanks inspired by Akgramps. They'll be 30 gal a piece. Also a new KEM sand trap thats on the way from PWeld, $170 best price I found by far. IMG_0168.jpgcyclon.jpg
    I've been thinking of this same thing for extended trips, will your's be easy in and out or a permenent install.
    Please post lots of detail, fill, vent, mounting, system ty in?

They are going to be removable with handles on each end. Quick disconnects for the vent lines and pickup tubes. And they will have these 2 3/4 filler necks. I'm just T'ing into my main tank vent system and I already have a 3 way valve plumbed too run my drums off which these tanks will be plummed into as well.

cap.jpgimages.jpg

They wont be UCGA because the filler neck will be below the gunwales but I can live with that. With my rear seats removed they will slip under the rod trays and attach similarly to how this box is attached to the tray. There in a friend shop now waiting to be welded up. I hope to have some pics of them installed by spring.

IMG_4250.jpgIMG_7006.jpg

I was thinking of using this rod storage area for the saddle tanks but your idea puts the weight lower and further forward

I don't think it would be a problem having the weight up higher. After reading the threads about the roof racks and the weight those guys are putting up top you shouldn't have a problem. Not sure on the gallonage youíre looking for but mine are 8' long and will be a tad over 30 gal. I canít really tell how much room you have in the pic. Great looking boat, is that a hewscraft?

It's a 2006 Hewescraft 220 Ocean Pro, the area I'm looking at would give me 20 gal a side, that would increase my 85gal to 125gal. The bulkhead stops me from making it long like yours

I've read alot of threads about hauling barrels and I do have two 30 gal plastic barrels I was thinking of adapting but I just don't like the idea all that well.

Be sure to get a pic of your's installed before you put the bench seats back in.

You must be running rivers

Yup mostly rivers for me. I did make it out of Ninilchik last year though and filled the freeze with Halibut. I'll definitely go back this year. Drums become a pain, but if you run the quick diconnects and plumb your boat for them they dont make bad seats. Plus there cheaper, so far In just the aluminum, bending, and about half the fitting I need I have over $500

Default Progress

New sand trap installed with a poor mans wash down system.
    IMG_0182.jpgIMG_0181.jpg

Three way valve plumbed in for new saddle tanks
    IMG_0183.jpg
    New 6k axle with electric brakes and E rated tires. Wheels and tires cost more than the axle. That chinese rubber is gretting ridiculous
    IMG_0184.jpg

Hey- I am curious about that wash down system, if you have time. You just cut in to the inlet of the sand trap? Is that kosher? I thought before i bought my boat that I would just take off of the heater core lines, but was informed that that wouldnt be such a good idea. But if the inlet of the trap doesnt affect the water going thru the system, I am going to put that in right away! Also i was wondering if you thought the investment in the dynamat was worth it? I was in a stereo shop today and the guy was talking up a similar product to dynamat, but they make a pad specific for hood liners. Did yours cut engine noise enuf?

f0zzy2 is running the wash down hose off of the drain of the sand trap. The brass quarter turn valve you can see is for draining all the rocks and crap out of the sand trap to overboard.

The biggest disadvantage to this set up is having to have the engine running to use the wash down hose, but that is workable. I actually did this on my old boat. It was an American Turbine 309 pump. The pump produced volume, but not enough pressure at idle to really spray stuff down good, more like just pouring water... This time around, I just bought a wash down pump. It surely will work better. I am going to plumb a T off of it, and into my cooling system downstream of my intercooler. That way when it plugs off (like it did when Toshiro was with me) I can just back flush the cooler. This and a sand trap, and I should be set.

The only problem I could really see (besides lack of pressure) may be the quick connect. If any sand doesn't get fully drained out of that part of the T, it could clog the quick connect. Not really a huge deal, but it will work. I would just go with another quarter turn, and maybe a thor fitting or other full flowing quick connect type.
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Yup, as C-bolt said it comes off the drain. The SJ water inlet is 1/2 and necks down to 1/8 where it enters the head. Bad design if you ask me, but it is what it is. Because the flow is so restricted I didnít think I would have a problem robbing some water from the cooling system, also I never see temps much above the water Iím in (no heater/thermostat). I may do a quarter turn later if the quick connect doesnít do a good enough job. I just have to experiment a little.
    As far as the dynamat, I couldnít really tell any difference in sound after adding it. I added dynamat and sealed every nook and cranny with foam or silicone. My dog house is lined with 1Ē acoustic foam. Still the best noise reducer for the SJ that I have found is ear plugs. lol

Any pictures of a finished install on the saddle tanks?

Nope not yet, there still being welded. I'm hoping by the end of Feb. or March. A good friend is welding them up for me in his spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    Three way valve plumbed in for new saddle tanks
    IMG_0183.jpg
    New 6k axle with electric brakes and E rated tires. Wheels and tires cost more than the axle. That chinese rubber is gretting ridiculous
    IMG_0184.jpg
    Very nice looking work, wish I could weld aluminum. A suggestion about fuel valves, I installed an aftermarket electric fuel valve used to switch between tanks on a pickup truck with the selector switch on my dash. Then I backed that up with a 3-way manual valve so I could select between tanks just incase the electric valve failed. Here is a quick sketch of what I did.

I like that idea!

Thumbs up Progress

One tank done. Quick connect for the pickup and one for the vent, Handels for easy removal. Angle will be bolted to the three tabs to secure the tanks to the trays.

Added another set of mufflers to try and quiet down the sportjet

Default Side track

Picked up this Mokai with a seized up engine. Adapted the new 7HP Subby engine. A BIG thanks to Andy the Mokai dealer for all the help in the adaption. The Honda and Subaru are totally oriented differently and without Andyís helps I'd still be scratching my head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast