Thread: Keeping A water hole open

Default Keeping A water hole open

For years, I have spent a lot of time chipping my water hole open on a daily basis when the temps are real low. This year I got a little bit smarter. I chipped open my water hole then, I took a cooler I bought at Value Village for $2.00, cut the bottom off, placed the bottom below the ice, weighted it down and let it freeze in. I then cover it with snow and it only gets a slight amount of ice on it. The last 3 days the temps. have been -10 to-25 and today I went out and was able to break the ice with my fist. I will provide a pic when the temp. gets warmer.

That is a great idea, never heard of that, brilliant. I would use 2" blue board. But your system is way Goooooder.

Good idea.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    That is a great idea, never heard of that, brilliant. I would use 2" blue board. But your system is way Goooooder.

I tried blue board at first but, the ice would stick to it and break oieces off when opening it up.

I but 6 Mill visqueen between the blueboard and the ice. But you have the more gooooder answer.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I but 6 Mill visqueen between the blueboard and the ice. But you have the more gooooder answer.

I sure wished I came up with this along time ago. It would have saved me a lot of work

4ever, that kinda work keeps you young...Very nice fix on frozen watering hole.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    4ever, that kinda work keeps you young...Very nice fix on frozen watering hole.

George

Thanks but, dropping trees, bucking them up and splitting keeps me young enough.

I take a piece of plywood and cover my ice fishing hole then cover that with about 18"-24" of snow. It will crust over on really cold spells with about an 1" or so but no problem to open it up each time we go to the cabin. This way I only cut the hole once at the beginning of the season. (It drops to -30 or a fairly regular basis but more often hovers around -10 at night and in the teens during the day.)
    The plywood is nice as it's easy to pry it up each time and the snow falls off to the side.
    I like the idea of the cooler though, pretty crafty.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I take a piece of plywood and cover my ice fishing hole then cover that with about 18"-24" of snow. It will crust over on really cold spells with about an 1" or so but no problem to open it up each time we go to the cabin. This way I only cut the hole once at the beginning of the season. (It drops to -30 or a fairly regular basis but more often hovers around -10 at night and in the teens during the day.)
    The plywood is nice as it's easy to pry it up each time and the snow falls off to the side.
    I like the idea of the cooler though, pretty crafty.
    BK

Actually, I use to do the same thing but, out where I am it stays very cold and we get winds that rip right through here and it is blowing the snow away or we get so much snow, I sometimes forget to mark my hole and I end up losing it, LOL, that sucks. This time, I built a sawhorse and put it over the cooler.

4ever,
    I was trying to be tougne and cheeky. Living off the grid is a lot of work just for the basics of survival. Those that have learned and made the act of survival a way of life are the true "Sourdoughs" of our land. I don't prefess to have done it, I did spend the summer I build the lodge with out power of any kind. It was a simpler life and with my family, the smaller things brought pleasure like our evenings, after the steam bath having a small cribbage tourney just about each night, ah the memories.

I think very highly of you and your life style. I know you don't make it to the power grid in the winter but should you do and visit Brad let me know and we can all hook up for coffee or lunch.

George

4ever,
    I was trying to be tougne and cheeky. Living off the grid is a lot of work just for the basics of survival. Those that have learned and made the act of survival a way of life are the true "Sourdoughs" of our land. I don't prefess to have done it, I did spend the summer I build the lodge with out power of any kind. It was a simpler life and with my family, the smaller things brought pleasure like our evenings, after the steam bath having a small cribbage tourney just about each night, ah the memories.

I think very highly of you and your life style. I know you don't make it to the power grid in the winter but should you do and visit Brad let me know and we can all hook up for coffee or lunch.

George

You know the one thing that is good about living the simple life is good friends and sharing what you got. To be able to have friends visit and cook a great homemade meal and after, sit around a nice fire, with the oil lamps glowing, talking about the days hunt or just things in general. No politics, religion, problems just good wholesome conversation. You go to bed then, come morning, the guys wake up have coffee and a big breakfast, you get dress and go out on the hunt. Life don't get any better. EH?

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    You know the one thing that is good about living the simple life is good friends and sharing what you got. To be able to have friends visit and cook a great homemade meal and after, sit around a nice fire, with the oil lamps glowing, talking about the days hunt or just things in general. No politics, religion, problems just good wholesome conversation. You go to bed then, come morning, the guys wake up have coffee and a big breakfast, you get dress and go out on the hunt. Life don't get any better. EH?
    You Sir have it figured out... I enjoy the company and time around the fire as much as the hunting.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

4ever, A-Men t that brother. Nothing like the schedule of hunting camp and good hunting partners. Lost mine 8 years ago and hunting is now just subsistance to me... Profound statements abound around the fire.

George

4ever, A-Men t that brother. Nothing like the schedule of hunting camp and good hunting partners. Lost mine 8 years ago and hunting is now just subsistance to me... Profound statements abound around the fire.

George

Hopefully, I can bring back those days starting next summer. Next summer, I have a lot of adventures lined up and hopefully I can find an adventure partner.

IMG_2656.jpgA little late on the water hole pics. Since I discovered this, I take showers more often,LOLIMG_2655.jpg
    JOHN

Great idea. One to keep on file!!
    Plus fish bite better thru a square hole, LOL
    Thanks for the pictures.
    You transitioned to a heavier snow area , &
    good place for marten.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Great idea. One to keep on file!!
    Plus fish bite better thru a square hole, LOL
    Thanks for the pictures.
    You transitioned to a heavier snow area , &
    good place for marten.

You're right on all accounts and where my land is, a lot less people. Also, the nice thing about moving to a new area is, you have more fun getting out and exploring. I hear the moose have rebounded somewhat around there.
    JOHN

Alaska4ever,

I see your transfering to Skentna, I'm heading there this weekend to look at a few lots in the area. Been looking at a few places so the wife and I have somewhere to retreat too during the winter and summer months but having a hard time finding anything or we're to late? Any suggestions?
    Dave