Thread: Rust's seems pretty inexpensive

Default Rust's seems pretty inexpensive

Anyone hunted moose or bou with em? I have been checking out a bunch of air taxis and am curious why such an outfit never gets mentioned......or dare I ask?

Also for the ancorage guy, its been a few years but there was a fellow operating a black 180ish on floats going by the name Wings....he was extra resonable....still around? feedback?

Ellison air is the cheapest on the lake. I worked for rust's for a summer seemed like they basically had the same going rates as everybody else
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I used Rust once, three years ago for a moose and black bear drop. Great/nice pilots, and cheap at the outset. When it was all said and done, however, it ended up costing about twice as much as advertised. We required an extra flight for stuff that others would have included in the price. I suppose it still ended up being a bit cheaper than the guy I use now in Nak Nek, but you get what you pay for. The only other drawback, that I think applies to all of the services out of Anchorage, is that they drop you in places with other hunters within walking distance. That was the case with the spot Rust dropped me, and in fact, there were several camps too close for my taste.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

I thought rusts was going out of business?...hmmm, might be thinking of someone else. anyways, doesnt matter since I wont ever use them.

I was on a ridge a few miles from Whitefish Lake a while ago and witnessed Rust's entire fleet (6 or 7) beavers land about 1/2 mile apart to drop off their wilderness camps. One clear night we counted 40 campfires! Rust's was just 1 of the airtaxis using this convienent landing location.
    Tony and his democratic wolf plan pretty much wiped out the moose in that part of the state along with many other area's.

With rust's you have to tell them exactally where you want to go, ie take a map and point and say I want to land at this spot, otherwise they will drop you by everybody else.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    I thought rusts was going out of business?...hmmm, might be thinking of someone else. anyways, doesnt matter since I wont ever use them.

I think it is Ketchum air
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I checked out the Ellison Air website, and it doesn't look like they do hunting trips... just air tours. Does anybody know if they do, or, if not, who does has the best prices for hunting air taxi services? Thanks.

Barron

give Regal Air a call. They are a first rate operation.

Default high country

I think you might be referring to Chuck Gretzky. I havent seen him around in a few years, but the 180 is still around.

Default Alaska Air Taxi

another excellent, and very experienced operator. Give Jack Barber a call.

Default They Need Help

I know Rust's is looking for pilots for the upcomming season as they had an ad in the ANC paper looking for pilots.

Ketchum's went out of business a couple years ago, not too long after Craig and his daughter had the accident. Rust's is a big business with the resulting pros and cons. I've reasearched and talked to every air service on Lake Hood. In my opinion, and I know what opinions are, Trail Ridge is my choice.