Thread: 22-250?

Default 22-250?

Looking at a light distance barel for my encore. More energetic and flater shooting than a .223, seems like a good starter for the kid as well as my predater gun. Given the numbers of caribou taken with a .223, the 22-250 might be a better choice and still not rip up my pelts?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

OK dumb question not for use on bigger game than a wolf, maybe to big on fox........hmmmmmm?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

In my experience, the biggest question is whether or not you handload. If you're stuck with factory loads your options may be a little limited, but it's incredibly versatile for handloaders.

I got my first more than 50 years ago while it was still a wildcat- a few years before Remington "legitimized" it as a factory round in 1967. Over that span, I bet I've owned more than a dozen. Every one I owned let me adjust for different game and bullets while retaining superb accuracy. I'd expect the same from an Encore. For fox, I'd either go to a more heavily constructed bullet or slow it down. Or both.

The weight and style of bullet will determine the size of animal to be taken, some of the SX bullets will go in but not out of a Wolf size animal, the FMJ bullets will go thru most any animal unless they hit a bone. The soft point bullets will have a little hole in and a big hole out. The 22-250 shoots nice and flat, I think it can be used out to about 300 yards reliably, I have shot out to 550 yards on small game, varmints, Yes you will have to figure out the hold over, but there is enough speed left to make the SX, or hollow point bullet perform. I use a 32 power scope on my Browning Medallion med heavy barrel 22-250. I set the trigger at about 2 lbs. The trigger uses a unique method and should only be adjusted by a person that has done them before. Little if any recoil with a medium heavy rifle. Good luck shoot stright.

The .22-250 has a farther reach than any of us.
    The .22-250 is moving a 40-60gr bullet about 1000fps faster than a .223 or .243 with the same bullet.
    That means explosive damage on pelts if you use HP bullets. Find or load some FMJ in the .22-250, and you are good.
    Or, just sew the holes and shoot what you want!