Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrangell or Brooks Sheep Hunting

Talking Wrangell or Brooks Sheep Hunting

I am trying to plan a sheep hunt to Alaska in 2008. I would like to hunt the Wrangells or the Brooks. Going to fly in for at least a ten day hunt. My questions will be numerous as I need a lot of information. First, to all the people that live up there and have hunted sheep in the areas, where should I go? I know some areas of the Wrangells that sheep and goats occupy the same mountain. I will be traveling from Idaho. I was stationed at Eielson AFB and still have my Alaska residency. So, a guide will not be used. I have all the right equipment, because I hunted the Delta Controlled Use Area back in 2004. As for air transporters, what is out there? Traveling on an airplane will be the most headache. Any tips on how to bring fuel bottles and to ship my firearm? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Default just curious

How long do you military guys keep your Alaska residency after being transferred out of state?

Default AK resident for life

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    How long do you military guys keep your Alaska residency after being transferred out of state?
    I will try and keep my Alaska residency for ever.

Thumbs up Resident

As long as you come back every two years for at least 72 hours. Also, you have to keep your LES, voter registration, vehicle registration, and Alaska drivers license current. The Anchorage Attorney General passed a law that you can claim resident benfits in Colorado, Idaho, Maryland, Texas, and a few other states as long as you keep the big 4 Alaska current. Works great for me as I am in Idaho now. So I can legally hunt in Alaska after I bought my resident Idaho hunting license. I am coming back for good in August of 2009 anyway.

Default Multi-State

So you can have resident status in more than one state?

Default Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Hunter View Post
    So you can have resident status in more than one state?
    AS long as you keep your voter and vehicle registration, Alaska drivers license and Alaska as your resident state on Your LES. I will post what I found to all that are curious.

Thumbs up Military Info

Military personnel who have attained residency while stationed in Alaska and are then subsequently involuntarily transferred to another state, may continue to purchase an Alaskan resident sport license. They cannot do anything to negate their residency in Alaska while stationed in another state. For example they need to: retain Alaska as Home of Residence with the military, keep their Alaska driver's license, voters registration card, vehicle registration, etc.

Some states allow military personnel to purchase resident sport licenses based on their military status. The State of Alaska Attorney General's office has approved the following states for military personnel to purchase that state's resident sport license based on their military status. They must have not done anything else to negate their residency: Colorado, Idaho, Maryland, Missouri, New Mexico, South Carolina, Texas.

If a military person living outside the state who has met the state's residency definition above plans a fishing/hunting trip to Alaska and wants to purchase a resident license, they must:

A: meet the conditions above if they purchased a resident license in their new state based on their military status,
    B: be in one of the state's listed above

Wow what a life.
    What does everybody else think about that?

Thumbs up resident status

Quote Originally Posted by TILT View Post
    Wow what a life.
    What does everybody else think about that?
    What a life, I work 12 hour shifts almost every other week and sometimes months at a time. All that without any overtime pay. I'm glad Alaska is doing this for the people that serve this country. This will be a great hunt for 2 weeks before I return to bust my balls for Uncle Sam for the rest of the year.
    Last edited by Mr. Grayling; 02-18-2007 at 15:06. Reason: add a word

Default Saweeet!

Great news...I am getting transfered to Colorado Springs in Jul. Wanted to maintain my residency. What pages of the regs is that on?
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

You made the choice to sign the paper.So don't use that.
    I was never in but my brother served in desert storm so I do have a slight knowledge of military life.I just don't think duel citizenship is right.But if it works for you I don't blame you for using it.

Thumbs up ADFG Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Anchorage View Post
    Great news...I am getting transfered to Colorado Springs in Jul. Wanted to maintain my residency. What pages of the regs is that on?
    Got to the Alaska Fish and Game website. Under Licenses and Permits click on Fishing and Hunting Licenses. Then click on Licenses/Permits Info at the top of the page. Then under General Info/Statistics click on Residency and Age. The information I posted is about a third of that way down the page under Military Transfer. Hope this helps.

Default Wow!

Mr Grayling,

Sorry, didn't want to hijack the thread but looks like that's what has happened; thanks for the answers.

Jason, here's the link:
    https://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/faqlic.html

I do have to say I'm not quite sure how this is all legal according to our other state statutes. Mr G, can you vote absentee in our elections even if you have been absent from the state for more than a year? Have you been able to vote in the Alaska elections from Idaho after being transferred? (Don't think you can have a voter's registration card in more than one state, right?) Can you receive permanent fund dividends too? Where in the statutes did you get the part about having to return to AK for at least 72 hours every two years?

As to shipping a firearm, here's a link on that:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ipping+firearm

You'll have to buy the fuel bottles up here. Lots of threads on sheep hunting in the Wrangells and Brooks, do a search on that and you'll get more info than you want or need <grin>.

I don't believe that's dual residency.
    He is still an Alaska resident.
    The other states are allowing him to hunt as a resident in there state due to being stationed there as a courtesy to those who serve our nation, & our attorney general is tipping his hat to those states as a thank you.
    The ONLY thing they can do there as a resident is hunt. They can't vote there or have a drivers liscense there & can't claim any other residency benefits in that state.
    I have no problem with that myself.

Thanks for your service Grayling & Jason.
    And Grayling, good luck on your sheep.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Before this gets out of hand here's how it works. Mr Grayling's explanation was way open to interpretation so TILT please pay attention.

Active duty military personnel maintain a "state of legal residence". Its used to calculate income tax withholdings and some benefits. As they are transferred they can change their SOLR to the new state or they can mainatin anyone of their past SOLR's.

Regardless of where an active member's SOLR is, EVERY SINGLE STATE IN THE UNION extends F&G residency status to military folks stationed in that state. Every state has it's own conditions like AK's 365 days, but once those conditions are met that soldier/sailor/airman/marine can hunt in that state as a resident without jeopardizing their residency in their SOLR.

Grayling, if your interested PM me and I'll direct you to my old honey hole for deer/bears (T-Bolts Rule!)

Default Sheep Hunt

Back to your question. I have hunted the Wrangells and was dropped off by Gary (McCarthy Air). I hunted the Hancock Pass area. Problem with this spot is the other air taxi operator in McCarthy has also using this landing spot and he doesn't care if there is a hunting party their or not. So talk with Gary and find a spot the other guy can't land.

If you are flying I would just pay the extra bag fee and fly your gun up with you. I would purchase your fuel once you get up here.

Best of luck!

I've hunted in the Wrangells but in an area accessible by fourwheeler. I've never hunted the Brooks.

As far as having difficulty flying with some items, you can always ship them ahead of time to your air transporter or you can buy them when you arrive. I recommend doing this for all of your perishables to keep down on the weight you fly with. This way you will only take on the commercial airline the items you will also be returning with. Alaska Airlines, as mentioned in another thread, considers your rifle case a bag so this must be considered when figuring out how much it will cost to fly (extra luggage fees).

Mr Grayling,

Sorry, didn't want to hijack the thread but looks like that's what has happened; thanks for the answers.

Jason, here's the link:
    https://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/faqlic.html

I do have to say I'm not quite sure how this is all legal according to our other state statutes. Mr G, can you vote absentee in our elections even if you have been absent from the state for more than a year? Have you been able to vote in the Alaska elections from Idaho after being transferred? (Don't think you can have a voter's registration card in more than one state, right?) Can you receive permanent fund dividends too? Where in the statutes did you get the part about having to return to AK for at least 72 hours every two years?

As to shipping a firearm, here's a link on that:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ipping+firearm

You'll have to buy the fuel bottles up here. Lots of threads on sheep hunting in the Wrangells and Brooks, do a search on that and you'll get more info than you want or need <grin>.

Bushrat,
    I can vote absentee in the Alaska elections. Yes I have also voted while being gone. You can only have one voter registration card. As for the PFD, as long as I come to Alaska every two years for 72 hours I can claim it. I will be getting out in 2009. Can't wait.

Eric where didn't I pay attention?I did not say he was wrong or doing anything illegal.I just don't agree.Is that okay to disagree with the way it is?
    Maybe you can pay attention a little better.Maybe.

Default Welcome "home" in '09

Mr. G,

Thanks for the explanation. Only two more years! Good luck with your hunt plans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast