Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Wt IB/OB Jet Package

Default Light Wt IB/OB Jet Package

Although this topic has been discussed many times before, let's revisit past, current, and future "light Wt" IB/OB jet package options. Recent threads on this subject have stalled, been locked, or were too narrow in topic title to flourish.

Here's the catch all thread to discuss any thing to do with powering our beloved shallow water river jet crafts... :-)

Default Gm 2.4

What do you guyz think of the cast iron block GM 2.4L?

http://www.gm.com/experience/technol...Industrial.pdf

a little more power would be nice although it is naturally aspirated so a guy's got options. Industrial rating which all boat engines should be. Looks to be durable and low maintenance. What are your thoughts, Kevin? Are you planning to use one of these?

I wish mercury would mate their Optimax 300 XS powerhead to a sport jet pump maybe with a taller gear ratio and a higher pitched impeller. It looks to be almost the same weight as the 200, at least when comparing long shaft outboards...unless I read it wrong.

You know, I sure would like to hear some more about these high power aluminum small blocks also. I've heard they are being used in Florida airboats and they're getting some crazy low fuel burn rates at cruise and have no lack of power when needed, even in bigger boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    What are your thoughts, Kevin? Are you planning to use one of these?
    I'm giving it considerable thought.
    Some time back, we supplied Americian Turbine with a light wt, 6 degree hull they used to test thier pump, mated with GMs cast iron 2.4L. The results were solid, but not earth shattering.

I lost track of the project, but with all the Ecotec chatter of late, I gave KEM a call & learned the new cat version was on the dyno being tested to meet the latest EPA standards.

This will be fun, we can play "what if" and build the perfect boat, of course perfect for each will be diffrent......

I like the idea of a lightweight boat, but still like a windshield and like the thought of having something big enough to make some longer hunting trips. I wish I could have a fleet of boats.............. for now I can only dream about that one boat that will do 90% of what I want.

It seems like fuel burn and size always becomes the tradeoff..........size of boat determines size of motor detrmines how much fuel, which requires a bigger motor to carry all the weight...........!

With that being said, I would like a 20-21 boat, minimum 68" bottom, 6-10 degree deadrise, windshield forward, 100 gallon under floor fuel tank. Boat, motor, pump and ready to go, weigh 2000 pounds or less. And be able to carry 3000 pounds and never burn more than 10 GPH!................... Preferrably 4 stroke IB motor, so interior heat off the motor.

Can you do that with a Ecotech and a Scott pump?

I know the SJ powered boats will do most of the above untill you get to the WOT w/ load...............at least thats what I understand.

How about a 23' X 84" IB with aluminum 6.0 and a Scott pump, I hear the IB's that have enough power to turn the 3.4 impeller do pretty well on fuel? Usally bigger heavy boats, not a bad thing just doesnt fit the lightweight title of this thread.........?

So what to we consider lightweight? A minimalistic boat? 16'..? 18..? sure lotsa of choices out there and a OB would do that trick, but then I would run out of room and want a winshield and the circle begins again...........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    This will be fun, we can play "what if" and build the perfect boat, of course perfect for each will be diffrent......

I like the idea of a lightweight boat, but still like a windshield and like the thought of having something big enough to make some longer hunting trips. I wish I could have a fleet of boats.............. for now I can only dream about that one boat that will do 90% of what I want.

It seems like fuel burn and size always becomes the tradeoff..........size of boat determines size of motor detrmines how much fuel, which requires a bigger motor to carry all the weight...........!

With that being said, I would like a 20-21 boat, minimum 68" bottom, 6-10 degree deadrise, windshield forward, 100 gallon under floor fuel tank. Boat, motor, pump and ready to go, weigh 2000 pounds or less. And be able to carry 3000 pounds and never burn more than 10 GPH!................... Preferrably 4 stroke IB motor, so interior heat off the motor.

Can you do that with a Ecotech and a Scott pump?

I know the SJ powered boats will do most of the above untill you get to the WOT w/ load...............at least thats what I understand.

How about a 23' X 84" IB with aluminum 6.0 and a Scott pump, I hear the IB's that have enough power to turn the 3.4 impeller do pretty well on fuel? Usally bigger heavy boats, not a bad thing just doesnt fit the lightweight title of this thread.........?

So what to we consider lightweight? A minimalistic boat? 16'..? 18..? sure lotsa of choices out there and a OB would do that trick, but then I would run out of room and want a winshield and the circle begins again...........
    Gramps, the new Phantom 60/40 diesel sounds like what your looking for. Check out some build pic at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phanto...55770674465251

We should have final numbers on speed and economy in January and have the boat at the Anchorage sport show. I'm confident the boat will have a 30mph cruise with just under 6gph or 5mpg. It will have a 100 gallon fuel capacity. 50gal bow and 50gal belly tank that can be transferred between tanks to equalize load. Should have a range between 400-500 miles depending on load.

Thanks for thinking of me HG, I should have known it was impossible to start at thread w/o some self promotion................
    I have followed the numerous postings concerning the diesel phantom platform........I will credit you with your knowledge of jet pumps, and your willingness to step out on a limb and experiment and try new things. Every sport/hobby needs that type of development, also I credit you with a very thick hide....................!

I am not in the market for a new boat.............at this time.......!
    just dreaming on this thread.........playing Mrs. Potato head in the boat world so to speak...............It was fun while it lasted..........

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Gramps, the new Phantom 60/40 diesel sounds like what your looking for. Check out some build pic at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phanto...55770674465251

We should have final numbers on speed and economy in January and have the boat at the Anchorage sport show. I'm confident the boat will have a 30mph cruise with just under 6gph or 5mpg. It will have a 100 gallon fuel capacity. 50gal bow and 50gal belly tank that can be transferred between tanks to equalize load. Should have a range between 400-500 miles depending on load.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Turner View Post
    I'm giving it considerable thought.
    Some time back, we supplied Americian Turbine with a light wt, 6 degree hull they used to test thier pump, mated with GMs cast iron 2.4L. The results were solid, but not earth shattering.

I lost track of the project, but with all the Ecotec chatter of late, I gave KEM a call & learned the new cat version was on the dyno being tested to meet the latest EPA standards.
    The AT pump utilized a 1.38kw impeller. I talked to Ron at AT and it sounds like the engine will turn it to around 4000 rpms.

Attached is a an absorption chart. Anyone have a fuel consumption chart for 2.4L? Nobody ever seems to want to give the consumption graph on the spec sheets for some reason.
    Attached Files Attached Files

500 HP All Alum. 383 and Scott 852 in a Firefish Hammer Head. I hope Santa sees this post

Define "light weight." 1200lbs, 1500lbs, XXXX...?

IMO, the measure of how shallow a boat runs is the depth of water the boat will float in while dead in the water. Having to find a hole in order to stop is fine when just playing around, but for true usufullness in the shallows you must be able to stop and restart. Given enough power, most boats will run dang shallow at speed. From my observations, the sport-jet looks hard to beat as an allrounder, but I suspect there are many who would prefer something like a .068 Jon-boat with a 40hp 2-stroke jet and forward stick-steer as their ultimate "light weight jet package."

Anyone have a fuel consumption chart for 2.4L?
    HG, Here's the data on the non cat version.

RiverPro Kem 2.4L.jpg

This lil guy comes in at 700lb and you add your jet ski motor of choice
    lilmojet5.jpg
    Kinda small but you can get up to a 16'. It would be great for hauling boo out of the Ivashak. depending on your motor choice I bet you could get into it for under 15k with UHMW. The hull is only 7K
    http://www.motionmarine.com/lilmojet.asp

HG, Here's the data on the non cat version.

RiverPro Kem 2.4L.jpg
    Kevin, what I'd like to see the the fuel consumption rpm vs gram/kwh or gal/hp. With this chart you can get very close to know what your consumption will be based on the impeller absorption. The final mpg will depend highly on the size of the boat.

I assume the chart above from a boat? What pump, and what impeller? If you have the kw rating I can probably come up with a close estimate by working backwards. If this was using the AT jet, it was a 1.38kw impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    This lil guy comes in at 700lb and you add your jet ski motor of choice
    lilmojet5.jpg
    Kinda small but you can get up to a 16'. It would be great for hauling boo out of the Ivashak. depending on your motor choice I bet you could get into it for under 15k with UHMW. The hull is only 7K
    http://www.motionmarine.com/lilmojet.asp
    That's a kewl concept.

I assume the chart above from a boat? What pump, and what impeller? If you have the kw rating I can probably come up with a close estimate by working backwards. If this was using the AT jet, it was a 1.38kw impeller.
    HG-
    The test was on the water. The craft: 17'6" LOA / 72" Botm / 16" Delta / 4 strakes / reverse chines / TJ Pump. I'm not sure about the impeller.

That's a kewl concept.
    That really is a cool setup, I would love to have one but with a more shallow water oriented hull shape. Something like a Wooldridge Mini AK would rock!

It comes with a 6 degree mod V. I think thats plenty for shallow water. Most Woolys come with a 10 degree and Sport Jons are 7 degree I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck View Post
    Define "light weight." 1200lbs, 1500lbs, XXXX...?

IMO, the measure of how shallow a boat runs is the depth of water the boat will float in while dead in the water. Having to find a hole in order to stop is fine when just playing around, but for true usufullness in the shallows you must be able to stop and restart. Given enough power, most boats will run dang shallow at speed. From my observations, the sport-jet looks hard to beat as an allrounder, but I suspect there are many who would prefer something like a .068 Jon-boat with a 40hp 2-stroke jet and forward stick-steer as their ultimate "light weight jet package."
    here is 1 that does not draft that much sitting still only 3 1/2"
    its 143 hp 17' 54" wide bottom ans just under 1200lbs

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    It comes with a 6 degree mod V. I think thats plenty for shallow water. Most Woolys come with a 10 degree and Sport Jons are 7 degree I believe.
    I just look at the way it sits and it seems to sit low. I agree it would rocket through the shallow stuff on step but stopping and starting I just see that pointy V bow hitting bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast