Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aerial l wolf hunting unnecessary...

Default Aerial l wolf hunting unnecessary...

in Port Heiden:

http://www.adn.com/2010/12/07/159304...park-fear.html

To control the population, as #1) they're being seen in daylight, a rarity for wolves & humans. #2) they're already killing enough in recent weeks #3) The wolves are making themselves easy targets already as noted in the story, & will continue to do so, as they're still starving.

Let's Go Hunting.....
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Wish i were there to help thin the wolves out, sounds like the packs have outgrown their food source. they do this in montana all the time now, once they figure out how easy food is to get around humans its all down hill from there, cats, dogs and if we had more farms with cows,horses and sheep some would fall victom to the wolf too. if those packs are that big, they have to do something soon, get em while the shooting is easy, conventional methods wont make a big enouph ding in the population. I dont wana even see the moose, statistic for this year there, with big packs and hungry wolves the wild game will get it hard, i hate this, watching the resources get miss managed because of the politics in it, just let the state do its job and manage the wolf numbers any way they see fit, fewer the beter. wont say much more cause I am no wolf lover at all! and ive been down that road,its like beating my head against a brick wall, and i wont change my outlook on em ever! so i guess ill wait for the wolf lovers to start the usual debate! been doing so since i worked on the wolf intro program in MT,ID,WY from 99' -03'. being unrelated to this issue, Id has had so many conlficts with the feds on wolves, the mayor of ID has started some raffle to win a wolf killing riffle, even though seasons closed AGAIN, money is being raised for leagal fees to open season again. Ok bring it on.... jwolf

What a joke! They didnt move to Alaska to Port Heiden to eat at safeway and watch tv. Give the kids some scoped .22 250s, put them on the roof and due some predator control. Guys living in Port Heiden better know all about subsistence and predator control so stop whining and go shooting!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Agree with Sollybug. Set some traps, sit on a rooftop or two, and take care of the issue. It's not like they'll lose money by shooting wolves.

On second thought, the villagers can just pay me and I'll be more than happy to come take care of their problem. I have about a month a to kill anyway. I'll even haul off the deceased wolves for them.

It is pretty simple for us to sit here and tell them how do to it. So I will.

Last year during the Chignik Lake event someone from that region PM'd me about some cultural issues within the community that did not aid them in ridding their area of predatory wolves. Culturally those folks last year are affraid of wolves down to the core of their souls. So when wolves stopped acting normal and started killing people the entire town went into a panic.

Now, in Port Heiden you have a population of people that is nearly half Scandivanian. Maybe they will not have the same cultural fear issues as Chignik Lake did. Most the village population was wiped out in 1918 by the flu so it was repopulated by folks from outside the region.

It would be interesting to know if this is the corporation village back up the road/valley from the beach or the old village area down on the beach. The new village is pretty dense with the houses close together so I would not want someone using a rifle there, but a shotgun off the porch might not be too bad.

One of the things that was discussed on the TV news this morning, but not in the ADN article is the fact that the rivers and streams are not frozen making cross country travel to go chase the wolves difficult if not impossible.

Maybe a lottery to pick out someones dog to be staked out as a bait dog and then a firing line on a ridge line above the staked dog. With a limit of 10 wolves per day per person the situation should be resolved in a weekend, if not a day with enough shooters.

According to the article in the ADN, the wolf population there is 3 packs consisting of between 34 to 50 wolves (total).
    Everyone in town is carrying a gun outside the house, yet only 6 wolves have been killed.
    My conclusions: not many in town can shoot or maybe Chuck (Sarah's dad) sighted in the rifles for them.

I'm sure there is concern in PH, but I can't understand why more wolves haven't been shot by now, as wolves are now being sighted during daylight hours. This has been in the news for a week now. Trapping inside town shouldn't be considered as the dog population will be the first to go and kids would also be at risk of getting caught.

put a bounty on their rears and there would be no more voo do who do or wolves either

It's not wolves, its the Grinch trying to steal Christmas again!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guess who View Post
    put a bounty on their rears and there would be no more voo do who do or wolves either
    Why would a bounty be needed when wolf pelts sell for $400? That should be enough incentive.

It's hard to get that much for a wolf these days, Brian, and not sure about those wolves, if they have any lice infestation down that way.

And bounties are illegal, though private sponsors can certainly pay X amount for each wolf killed if they wanted to.

For me this all comes down to locals being willing to solve their own problems. When and where wolves may be a real threat to public safety because they have become habituated and run out of sources of food, and we have open trapping and hunting seasons for them, it's up to hunters and trappers in those areas to get out and cull their numbers down. They shouldn't need any monetary incentive to do that though imo. But certainly they could sell prime good condition wolf hides to try to recoup expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Why would a bounty be needed when wolf pelts sell for $400? That should be enough incentive.
    Given the choice, I would rather turn in a pair of ears, than skin and prep a wolf hide. Judging from the pics in the news, I hesitate to think the AK Penn wolves would garner that much. Also the fact there is a very narrow window of when the hides are prime enough for market. Most of the year, they have no monetary value. The Bounty could be for year-round money making.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    It's hard to get that much for a wolf these days, Brian, and not sure about those wolves, if they have any lice infestation down that way.
    Fair enough, Mark. We agree, though, that it should be up to the hunters to solve their own problem. I'm sure they could get some money out of them - perhaps not $400 - but at least something. Even if there were no monetary incentive, if they're concerned about safety, it seems like that should be enough.

Guided wolf hunts sell for $3000-$4000 in Canada. Nobody seeing this as a business opportunity in the dead of winter?

Culturally those folks last year are affraid of wolves down to the core of their souls.
    We have a similar issue with the way people are with the bears here.

If you understood the inner workings of those communities, you'd understand that they aren't going to do anything for themselves.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Given the choice, I would rather turn in a pair of ears, than skin and prep a wolf hide. Judging from the pics in the news, I hesitate to think the AK Penn wolves would garner that much. Also the fact there is a very narrow window of when the hides are prime enough for market. Most of the year, they have no monetary value. The Bounty could be for year-round money making.
    Not sure I would place too much credence in the clips shown on the news - I know that almost every time channel 2 shows anything about wolves, they include a clip showing a few chowing down on a whitetail deer. We all know the last whitetail in AK was gone before the advent of video.

Evidently no men left in Port Heiden. Must be a bunch of migrant cannery workers left out there and that's about it...

Until the wolves drag a kid out of the NOOSHNIK... :-(

In Point Hope you can't get the locals to stop shooting caribou for fun and down in Port Heiden you can't get them to shoot a wolf in self-defense! With a limit of 10!

It's a bottoms-up world we live in for sure!

Taylor

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Evidently no men left in Port Heiden. Must be a bunch of migrant cannery workers left out there and that's about it...

Until the wolves drag a kid out of the NOOSHNIK... :-(

In Point Hope you can't get the locals to stop shooting caribou for fun and down in Port Heiden you can't get them to shoot a wolf in self-defense! With a limit of 10!

It's a bottoms-up world we live in for sure!

Taylor
    actually mark, i got word this afternoon they have a group staying up nights trying to catch these wolfs. they have put out traps but the rain has made trapping difficult by making them freeze open. open water and lack of snow has made sno go's ineffective as well short daylight hours.

they are seriously attempting to do something on their part. and will keep folks updated as it comes in.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

no need for update, states already sendin' door gunners...

http://www.adn.com/2010/12/08/159471...southwest.html

pretty sad that the state can act so hastily...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast