Thread: Looking Into Buying an AR-15

Default Looking Into Buying an AR-15

As I was buying my father a .325WSM rifle for Christmas last week I noticed something on the wall at Frontier Outfitters. There were 3 black rifles that caught my attention and I asked the man to grab one for me. Long story short, I'm Hooked! These were all around $1100 and I don't feel like spending that much. My question is, Are there any good $700-$900 ARs that are worth my time. I plan on doing a lil wolf hunting with it eventually, but most likely it'll be a good range gun.

Of course I did go looking around and found a Bushmaster Superlight that was on the low end of my price range. What do you guys think about a carbon weapon in our winter temperatures?

I would love to have a quality/reliable weapon in 5.56/.223

Thanks,

I would not recommend a carbon AR. You can build a Del-Ton or similar for $600 or so bucks, and they are "OK". I think the best value on the AR market is a Stag, which you can find for around $800, I think there was a 2T on here for about that recently. If you're looking at $1,100 rifles I would make sure I get a BCM or spend another hundred and get a Colt.

I have no personal experience with the Carbon 15, in regards to the polymer lower. Keep in mind though that thousand of hand guns are made of polymer, and there is almost no stress on the lower of an AR-15. I would think it would be just fine, a great way to get into the AR. If its a problem down the road, build a new lower. Be careful though, Black Rifle Disease is incurable.

It's not the lower that raises strength questions: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=288696

Now, just about every gun has had kaBooms. Most Carbon 15 owners seem to have no problems with them, just like many brands or models that we all 'know' are poorly designed or made. They work well enough for the little that they are shot.

I wanted to try a lightweight AR; I asked myself if I wanted to put my hand or arm right next to 62,000 psi with the barrel and bolt retained by a material the AR was never designed for. Instead I have a Cavalry Arms lightweight one piece lower with a standard upper; that's light enough for me.

Lowers can be made out of almost anything stronger than Silly Putty and still work.
    HDPE: http://230grain.com/showthread.php?3...PDE-AR15-Lower
    Wood: http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum...035&PN=1&TPN=4

I wasnt aware the upper was polymer as well. Put me in the 'dont get a Carbon 15' category!

to late, i already have one....but for 600 bucks......shoot it till its shot.

just got off the phone with bushmaster techs and they said the temp shouldn't bother the carbon. all the pressure takes place in the barrel, he even said you could put a 450 BM upper on there if you wanted and it would handle it just fine...
    i'm new to the zorro gun scene but hopin' my 600 dollar investment will at least pay for itself in wolves before it falls apart...thats all i ask.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Sportsman's warehouse has a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 on sale December 10th through December 16th. They have it listed for $799.99. Originaly priced at $1000. A friend of mine owns one and it operates just fine. No different than my outrageously overpriced Bushmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ...the temp shouldn't bother the carbon. all the pressure takes place in the barrel...
    In theory there is no difference between theory and reality, but in reality there is. Having said that enjoy it and I'll bet it lasts for 10,000 rounds. Great price for any reliable AR. What kind of optics are you using and what kind of accuracy are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_AK View Post
    Sportsman's warehouse has a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 on sale December 10th through December 16th. They have it listed for $799.99. Originaly priced at $1000. A friend of mine owns one and it operates just fine. No different than my outrageously overpriced Bushmaster.
    Good price. The S&W is a touch better if you believe in 'The Chart' and the specs it calls out. With any company's Optics Ready Carbine (OR or ORC) be sure to factor in the cost of iron sights if you want them. Remember that Magpul MBUS fronts will melt on gas blocks, so the cost for a front and a rear sight is not insignificant. But if you are only mounting an optic then an OR/ORC is simply a less expensive model of the same rifle, and a good buy.

Its a great way to get into the Ar-15, if the polymer gives you problems, getting a new upper or lower is easy and not to terrible expensive.

i've still got the little bushnell red dot on it...haven't really sat on the bench with it yet.
    Master guide 212

I've got a Carbon 15 also and I love it. Light weight, easy to carry and accurate. Bottom line on any rifle, the barrel and the bolt take the pressure. If it fires for some reason before the bolt is closed, then you are going to have an issue..polymer or aluminum. All the upper does is provide a track for the bolt to travel and a path to mount the recoil buffer. The bolt locks and rotates into solid steel on a Carbon 15, just like an aluminum AR. That linked thread is over 6 years old now. How many other blown up Carbon 15's can you find on the net?

Bottom line, I own a rifle that a .223 is supposed to be... a couple ounces over 5lbs with Vortex Sparc and fully loaded with a 30 round mag. Best slung across the back ATV or sno-go rifle I have ever owned.

Jake, once the range opens up here in the spring we ought to get together with our Carbon 15's and the kids The red dot isn't much for testing accuracy, but it's no problem to hit 5" steel plates with it at 100 yards. Mine has shot a 1" 5 round group at 100 yards with a Vortex 3x9 on it for the one day I had glass on top of it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

That should read 1.5" 5 round group...
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

thats good to hear doug, pretty good shootin' outa any gun! guns a pile of fun...sportsmans has 20 rounds for 5.97 so i stocked up on 200 rounds for the trapline this winter...looking forward to flock shooting some ptarmigan with it! lol
    Master guide 212

Get some Magpul P-Mags while you're at it.

I really like my S&W AR-15 Optic Model. With my hand loads I am getting 3/4" on average and sometimes less if I am really taking my time with the trigger and using good shooting mechanics.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Always a sore subject for me.... I can remember tripping over AR15's all day for 300 bucks. (yeah.. I'm that old) Right when I decided to buy one BAM the frikken brady bill showed up and overnight the same rifles go up to 900! I just couldn't do it. I still can't do it. Not to say they aren't worth it, I love em. Just can't do it.

I managed to get over it by buying an AR50! Now all is right with the world!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Nice S&W, next one I get will be an ORC or Varminter.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

That carbon 15 is pretty light, I was amazed, it makes
    My M4gery seem pretty heavy.