Thread: Kodiak bonded bullets

Default Kodiak bonded bullets

I have loaded the Kodiak bullets for my 45/70 and was very impressed with the accuracy and performance of the bullets. There has been quite abit of discussion on this bullet for the 45/70, but have not heard anything about smaller cal bullets such as the .308.

My question is, has anybody loaded the Kodiaks for a .300? I can not find any data for this bullet, such as the dimensions. Would this be an option in my 300 SAUM? I have loaded the Barnes 180 and 200 grain bullets (thanks to you guys for the info), but haven't shot any yet, you know that work thing kind of gets in the way. I haven't been able to find any Kodiak bullets in town to look at. Thanks in advance for the info. John

Question Dutch

Do you by chance have a picture of a 45 cal Kodiak bullet new and one that's been fired? Kinda curious what they look like and performance one can expect. Thanks.

Default 405gr Kodiak pic

Here's a photo, if it works, of the 405gr next to a loaded 45/70 round.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bullets 003.jpg  

Default forgot

to tell ya that all the bullets I've shot were pass throughs and I haven't recovered any, even the 270 yard shot on my moose. John

Talking

Thanks: good looking bullet and sounds as if doing a great job...one piece of advice though, if you want to recover a bullet some time. Make sure you get a bigger tree between you and your quarry.

I have gone to the 350 grain Kodiak in my 45/70. At 2100 fps I believe it will take anything I will run into. I know it kills caribou. Jim

Question 45-70 loads

jdb3,

Care to share what load you have found most beneficial? I just picked up some 350 gr Heavy Jacket bullets for my 45-70 today. I'll be shooting them through a Guide Gun. You?

Mort

Mort, I have used IMR 3031 for the 400 grain with wonderful results. Speer 400 grain with 50 grains shoots 11/32 inch 3 shot groups out of my 1895S and reaches around 1600 to 1700 fps. The most accurate load ever.

With the 350 I only get about 1 1/2 inch groups, but with 50.9 rains of IMR 4198 but I get around 2000 to 2100 fps with that load. More than adequate for what I use that rifle for. These loads are from memory so Son't take them as gospel. I need to check when I get home. Jim

Default Kodiak .30s

I was in Alaska Bullet Works' shop last week, and I don't know if they make a 30 cal Kodiak bonded. They tend to specialize in the odder & larger sizes, and with all the other manufacturers out there, the 30 cal market is extremenly competitive and the margins are slim.

They make nice 338s and 457/458s and go all the way up to the 600 Nitro that weighs 900 grains !!!

I have some .358 caliber Kodiak Bullets. 220 grain and 250 grain for my 350 Remington Magnum.
    I need to wait until it gets a little warmer to test them in some sort of medium....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thumbs up

Oh, yeah. I have some Kodiak 30 cal on my bench now, they make several different weights in .308. I didn't know that they make really big stuff like the 600 NE. Do they have some .510 size in a 570 grain for my 500 NE? I've tried to get him to make .423 for the 404's but I think tooling cost is about $500 and I didn't want to go that. I've used them in .308, .338, .375, .416 and .458. I haven't found a bad one yet.

BTW would the .620", 900 grains at 2000 fps be a stopping rifle? :-)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Kodiak Bonded Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Forestar View Post
    I was in Alaska Bullet Works' shop last week, and I don't know if they make a 30 cal Kodiak bonded. They tend to specialize in the odder & larger sizes, and with all the other manufacturers out there, the 30 cal market is extremenly competitive and the margins are slim.

They make nice 338s and 457/458s and go all the way up to the 600 Nitro that weighs 900 grains !!!
    Along with my latest order, I received a price list and don't see any 600's on it! The largest listed is .510 in 500 gr. or .50 BMG in 650 gr. Maybe he's like the pharmacist - show the prescription to get your order filled?

Wyatt