Thread: Sometimes They Don't Win!!!!

Default Sometimes They Don't Win!!!!

Here's a follow up story to my hunting trip from Saturday, where the predators won and I lost. Today it didn't work out that way for the ol' wily coyote.

I knew I had to use different tactics, since it was only 3 days since I spooked out that nice coyote Saturday afternoon. I hiked in a long ways and came in from a different direction, trying to get into what I thought was the coyote's home territory without getting busted. I was playing the wind to my advantage and was planning to make them think an intruder coyote had sneaked in their back door.

I got to a spot that I felt was close enough to get their attention and I setup my CS-24 and Mojo decoy. They were about 25 yards in front of me, slightly to my left. I had a good 50-60 yard view up the small clearing, which had a dogleg to the right at the far end. I started off with some Coyote Female howls, which aren't super aggressive, but really let them know another coyote is there. I ran that for about a minute and then went silent for two minutes. Then, I played a more aggressive Male Coyote Bark Howl sound and then went silent for another two minutes and then went into the Snowshoe hare distress. About a minute into the snowshoe, here he comes from the far end of the clearing. He was just trotting on in, totally focused on the Mojo decoy, unaware that I was sitting there with cross hairs on him. He kept walking on in, thinking that my decoy was going to become a little afternoon snack. Little did he know I was hiding with the crosshairs on him, just waiting for the right moment. I knew that if he crossed my path out in front about 25 yards, he'd smell me and take off. Low and behold, he stops about 15 yards from my tracks and I put the 6 PPC right through the boiler room. I kept calling for another 15 minutes, figuring that would be my only stand since it was getting dark, but no more takers. Here are a couple of pictures...hard to do self portraits in the cold. 26 pound male with a more redish colored fur.

Default geez oh Pete!

Don't you ever work? Or sleep? Here I am still in my rental, painting and cleaning, and you are out lolly gagging around. Well, I guess I can live vicariously through you since I can't get away. Got to get this house ready to rent before we leave on the 19th for Tequila Land.
    Sweet Mary, what another nice animal. I like the stories and the photos. Sure is a bushy tail he is sporting. Keep up the good work so you can keep on with the good posts.
    ARR

AKRR,
    I'm usually at work 5 days a week...sleep on the other hand. I have predator fever and can't get much sleep when I know there are furry predators out there. This weekend I'm scouting an entirely different area that I've ever hunted, so hopefully I have a good story and photos. Get those rentals finished up so you can get out and do some hunting.

Nice job. I see your posts over on Pred Masters also. Just wondering what kind of Foxpro are you using as I think I'm gonna upgrade from my FX3 shortly.

Default Might be fun

If I can get this current project done, might be fun to get out before I leave town, providing it is not -40. Been there, done that, and am not interested in sitting in those temps. I've got some spots I've been going to for years, and my guess has always been that there is very little if any pressure.
    Might just have to give a guy in a white suit a call to make a plan. Hmm.

HomerAdam
    I'm using the FoxPro CS-24 now. It's hands down the toughest e-caller around with plenty of volume and clarity to do the deed.

AKRR,
    PM Me if you want to try some new tactics in your spots, I have some ideas and strategies that might work if there are critters in the area.

Congrats Camoman. Nice canine.
    I will have my first soon, I'm plugging away.

Very cool! How is the 6 PPC working out for you? If I recall you mentioned getting a custom one or did you go with a factory brand? Are you using the recommended FMJ's, 2850 fps and happy with minimal pelt damage? I've been keeping my eyes open for a used factory one not wanting to pluck down the bucks for a custom but will probably end up going with the .243 set up the same.

jageier,
    The 6PPC is working out super so far. It's a laser beam and puts em' in the same hole at 150 yards if I do my part of the bargain. That coyote is it's first kill and I'm impressed so far. I'm using the 80grain FMJ's with the 2850 velocity. I went the custom route, since the old Ruger's and Sako's that rarely came up for sale disappeared immediately. I'm really happy with my custom NULA. It's super light, accurate, and handles great.

Wow that's friggin sweet! Nice yote and great story. Do you use those hand calls along with that e-caller? If so, what kind of sequence do you use?

I use the mouthcalls as well at times. I used the Sceery AP-6 three days prior to call in one. I start off for about 30 to 35 seconds and then go quiet for a minute or so. Then play a short burst for 15 seconds and wait for 30 seconds. I just mix up short sequences and pauses, watching the field for movement of an incoming animal.

I just looked up the NULA's on the web and you need to get into a pack of wolves to help pay for that shooter! : ) Glad to hear it's working out well for you. I've followed the info in Rick's book too, well almost, up too firearm choice, but that's on my someday list. Thanks!
    JAG

It's just a hobby for me, so I'm not making any money doing it. Actually, I'm losing lots of money doing it if I look at it from a money investment point of view. I'm happy and having a good time and that's what matters to me, not the money. I've kept all my fur so far, but might sell some one of these years.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that all. You've been very successful and enjoying it too. What more could you ask. I'm still learning. Haven't brought fur home yet, but have called in a couple, but it gives me that incredible itch to keep going back out when I can. Happy Callin'!

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    It's just a hobby for me, so I'm not making any money doing it. Actually, I'm losing lots of money doing it if I look at it from a money investment point of view. I'm happy and having a good time and that's what matters to me, not the money. I've kept all my fur so far, but might sell some one of these years.
    Perfectly worded!

I do what I do, because I love it. No matter how much fur I take I'll never make money on it...but i'll also never stop doing it!

Congrats on the success!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Awesome job! Im hoping you leave some around because I dosnt look like Im going to get out calling anymore until mid January. Good luck Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    +2. I spent well over $20,000 on getting all my gear together including a boat and snow machines.
    I do it because of my love for the outdoors, not for profit.