Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy, am I mad,,,,

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Boy, am I mad,,,,

POed, aggravated, irritated, upset, hot under the collar, incensed, infuriated, enraged, and distressed.

The UPS STORE, there in Wasilla, the one in the Mall where Jo-ann Fabrics is, WON'T SHIP GUNS. UPS, in Anchorage, does, or so they say, but this UPS STORE, won't.

The only reason I went there was because the authorized gun repair people suggested UPS or Fed-Ex.

Also, the last time I shipped a gun at the US Post Office, (IN-STATE), even, I ran into some ignorance there. (I was sending a shoot-gun to a relative in the boosh. I sorta got the run-around, then I was told that I would need to send it to myself.)

I thought, OK, I'll try UPS, if that's what they like, but that was a no-go. (at the UPS Store)

I've shipped firearms, via USPO, before and Fed-Ex before, with no problems. This time I ended up, going to the Fed-Ex place, In Wasilla, at the tail end of Foundry Way, and they did it.

It just bugs me, no end, that I can run into such resistance or ignorance when I wanna ship a gun.

I dunno what Alaska is coming to.

The UPS Store, offered to ship the gun for me, via the USPO, Express Mail, but they wooda charged me more than the Post Office, and I was already mad.

These people make me feel like I'm up to something that's criminal just because I wanna ship a perfectly legal gun in a perfectly legal way.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It sorta makes you not want to do it, which is their whole motive in the first place.

I feel your pain Smitty.

Several years ago I got in a heated discussion with a UPS Store employee about shipping a firearm. This particular salesperson made the foolish comment that I was trying to ship a rifle illegally--I assured her it is perfectly legal to ship a firearm from an owner to an FFL holder whereupon she threatened to call the police if I persisted. I made certain that she called her manager and I made a point to file a formal complaint about her accusations and her ignorance. I did learn at that time that it is the UPS Store policy to no accept firearms for UPS delivery, but that is a long ways from criminal action on my part. I've not gone into another UPS Store since and never will again.

It's my understanding that to ship a firearm via UPS you must send it from a business account or from a UPS hub. I've gone to using the USPS and never had a problem, though I must confess I've not needed to ship a handgun.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Interesting. I thought you could only ship thru gun dealers anymore. I missed something somewhere I guess.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Interesting. I thought you could only ship thru gun dealers anymore. I missed something somewhere I guess.
    Me too. I guess it's time for gun owners to lean heavy on UPS.

Well as someone who is looking to ship my handgun up there when I move up there I can tell you that ups or fedex will only ship via their hubs and to a FFL. The ups stores and fedex offices like kinkos are franchises so they do not have allow firearms of any type. Just like you can't ship a firearm from your local post office since you can't bring any weapons in to a federal building.

What gets me is if you fedx a handgun to me from say Anchorage to Wrangell in comes in the mail.UPS charges so much you won't use them to ship here.UPS from Virginia to here is half of the cost from Anchorage to here
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks Smitty for sharing your experiences with UPS. I did not know of their policy, and I plan to no longer use their services when I have a choice. I will also contact the companies that I typically utilize (e.g., Midway USA, Cabella's, etc.) and ensure that they also know of this problem. We need to put pressure on UPS, but sadly we are a minority. I seldom ship firearms and the last time I did so was to send a rifle back to TC (using Fedex).

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I feel your pain Smitty.

Several years ago I got in a heated discussion with a UPS Store employee about shipping a firearm. This particular salesperson made the foolish comment that I was trying to ship a rifle illegally--I assured her it is perfectly legal to ship a firearm from an owner to an FFL holder whereupon she threatened to call the police if I persisted. I made certain that she called her manager and I made a point to file a formal complaint about her accusations and her ignorance. I did learn at that time that it is the UPS Store policy to no accept firearms for UPS delivery, but that is a long ways from criminal action on my part. I've not gone into another UPS Store since and never will again.

It's my understanding that to ship a firearm via UPS you must send it from a business account or from a UPS hub. I've gone to using the USPS and never had a problem, though I must confess I've not needed to ship a handgun.
    I like how you handled yourself with this...tried to give you rep points but it said that I had to spread it around...same for you Smitty.

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    ...Just like you can't ship a firearm from your local post office since you can't bring any weapons in to a federal building.
    It is perfectly legal to ship firearms with the USPS from any local Post Office. Been there and done that; again and again and again...

It is perfectly legal to ship firearms with the USPS from any local Post Office. Been there and done that; again and again and again...
    Can you document that for all of us maybe? Maybe the Government just has us all running scared now and we think we can't. I'd sure like to know the real rulings on this subject as would others I'm sure.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I could NOT get the U.S. Post Office to return a handgun to Ruger for warrenty work. Every P.O. said "NO". So I wrote in large print "Machined Metal Parts", like magic, no problem.

The UPS stores are a pain in the butt. I was going to ship some guns up here from California (while I was there for a wedding) from myself, to an FFL up here. Tried 4 stores - no luck. So I called their hub (?) supporting the area. They told me you had to take it there and it would be no problem. Well, that WAS a problem as it was 71 miles away. She said, "well, we can pick it up for you..." I asked about the cost - $3.00!!! So i did that a couple of times while i was there. Worked great.

That said, I don't trust any of these places with gun law stuff. You WILL get different answers depending on who answers when you call.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Can you document that for all of us maybe? Maybe the Government just has us all running scared now and we think we can't. I'd sure like to know the real rulings on this subject as would others I'm sure.
    I ship guns via USPS often. I beleive that provided the gun is shipped from one FFL holder (I have an FFL) to another FFL holder, it is legal to ship via USPS by ground, air or horse.

Really best not to rely on information from forum members on topics of legal matter, well intentioned but still, go to the source:

Postal Service Publication 52 has all the info, basically handguns are a no go, long guns are shippable if you follow rules:
    http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Really best not to rely on information from forum members on topics of legal matter, well intentioned but still, go to the source:

Postal Service Publication 52 has all the info, basically handguns are a no go, long guns are shippable if you follow rules:
    Thanks limon32

Two things. Stupid is as stupid does. And, you can't fix stupid. Another thing that bugs me is the business' in the United States that insist on shipping with UPS. You cannot convince them that there is no real ground service to Ak. with UPS. You order $30 worth of stuff that would fit in a $5 flat rate box and they insist on shipping Fed Ex or UPS second day for $35. Long guns can be shipped through the PO to a licenced gunsmith/repair station. Can someone explain why a hand gun is more dangerous to ship than a rifle or shotgun. We actually pay these people pretty well to sit in Washington and make up these stupid laws. Now you went and got me mad. I guess I just need to go shoot something and calm down. I love the smell of a freshly fired shotgun shell on a crisp fall day. Herco has the best smell. Just thinking about that has put me in a better mood.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post

Thanks for the link. I was not giving advice in my post just stating the fact that you can ship firearms (rifles & shotguns) via USPS legally. Thanks again for the link.

FYI: here is the UPS link

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html

Default Another reason to hate UPS (and FedEx)

Business' will not ship USPS to Alaska because UPS gives them a significant price break if they use UPS exclusively. They do make an exception for the military, that is why you see that exception under most shipping policies. Same thing for companies that use FedEx.

So, in addition to not shipping your guns they make you pay through the nose for small packages that could go USPS much cheaper!

I'd bet if you check the UPS cost for companies like MidWay they actually charge more than business that use UPS exclusively. For companies like Midway charging more for normal UPS to the lower 48 is more than offset by the flat rating shipping for bullets and other heavy items.

If I recall when UPS first came up here in the early 80s they did ground rates. Apparently the union workers (Teamsters?) went on strike and messed the whole thing up after a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Two things. Stupid is as stupid does. And, you can't fix stupid. Another thing that bugs me is the business' in the United States that insist on shipping with UPS. You cannot convince them that there is no real ground service to Ak. with UPS. You order $30 worth of stuff that would fit in a $5 flat rate box and they insist on shipping Fed Ex or UPS second day for $35. Long guns can be shipped through the PO to a licenced gunsmith/repair station. Can someone explain why a hand gun is more dangerous to ship than a rifle or shotgun. We actually pay these people pretty well to sit in Washington and make up these stupid laws. Now you went and got me mad. I guess I just need to go shoot something and calm down. I love the smell of a freshly fired shotgun shell on a crisp fall day. Herco has the best smell. Just thinking about that has put me in a better mood.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thanks for the link. I was not giving advice in my post just stating the fact that you can ship firearms (rifles & shotguns) via USPS legally. Thanks again for the link.

FYI: here is the UPS link

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html
    Hey Smitty your gonna love this.
    Last fall before duck season I sent my shotgun back to the manufacturer for an ejector repair. I han no issues what so ever from the folks at the Anchorage International post office. The only thing I had an issue with was walking into the store past the no fire arms sign. Then when my shotgun came back the company sent it to me via UPS. Go figure huh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast