Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEARS - Thought you "knew"?

Default BEARS - Thought you "knew"?

BEARS - Thought you "knew"? Well I did.
    Today I spoke with biologist I considered to be a not only a friend but also a colleague because of a mutual interest in bears. He had my undivided attention as the described the tagging of nine year old male accompanied by a couple of two year-old bears unfolded.
    Another bear "myth" bites the dust. At least maybe we ALL should be more careful about assumptions. (I guess "old dogs" can learn new tricks!)
    Joe

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

boar with cubs? is that whats yer sayin? Kinda like that movie.. the Bear.. LOL
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, a little more info on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Yah, got me wanting more info now......????
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Apparently after sedating an animal accompanied by two smaller animals one of the "sedators" indicated there was a problem in that the sow had "testicles". Turned out to be a nine year old boar. The point being made by this posting (by me) has to do with the pitfalls of making assumptions. Though I certainly would have never "guessed".
    Joe
    (This portion of the discussion was a spin-off from a conversation related to the frequency of "adoption" with brown bears.)

I not sayin its not true, but it must be freak incident cause in most cases those two bears would be in a fair bit of trouble but I have heard black bears are a little more passive with the youngsters compared to grizz

this is part of what makes bears fasinating..thats just cool stuff. thanks for sharing that one...i talked to a bio who'd see brownies breeding in october as well..probably more likely to happen...but still neato.

"i've heard" is how alot of bear "facts" get started....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Do you suppose he ate the sow and kept the kiddos for dessert?

I think he, the nine year old boar, simply suspected that it was gonna be a long, cold, dark winter so he was tolerating the presence of a couple of snacks for jan/Feb. (LOL)

Ok, seriously, way interesting observation of a situation not normally expected. Thanks for posting.

Or (I can't stop), Kind of like WantJ taking in a few rookies for future training. (???)

BRWNBR...perhaps the brown bears breeding in October were just practicing. Kind of like..........

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    I think he, the nine year old boar, simply suspected that it was gonna be a long, cold, dark winter so he was tolerating the presence of a couple of snacks for jan/Feb. (LOL)

Ok, seriously, way interesting observation of a situation not normally expected. Thanks for posting.

Or (I can't stop), Kind of like WantJ taking in a few rookies for future training. (???)

BRWNBR...perhaps the brown bears breeding in October were just practicing. Kind of like..........

Dennis
    Certainly ALL very plausible possibilities!
    (Will never look at another sow accompanied by larger
    cubs without at least thinking of the possible, though not
    probable, combination of a boar with "big" cubs).
    Joe

I assume this is the incident on the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge. My father and I did speak with the refuge manager prior to our fall hunts(we guide down there) and he did relate that exact story. I've hunted brown bears a long time and its safe to say you can see just about anything.

It would be interesting to know the age on the boar.

Indicated the boar was aged at nine.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

They are a curious creature for sure.. this fall we had a sow with 4 cub .. 2 this years and 2 two year olds . and talking to the biologist that keep track of them. it is not entirely uncommon for bears to allow sow cub to stick around longer or adopt with in their own family group (grandma taking care of daughters)

i totally agree with Jake though..

bear stories and rumors that start with " I HAVE HEARD" are just the beginning or perpetuations of more bear myths.

if i know One thing and one thing only about bear. is that they are 100% more intelligent then we give them credit for.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have some video taken about a hundred yards from my old front door in Haines of a boar breading a sow while her two young cubs are jumping on both of them. Figure critters can be like humans,bulls riding on bulls,cows riding cows and dogs riding anything
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Maybe the boar had a really good lawyer, and got the den too....
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

For sure enough info from a credible source to warrant good optics and closer examination for 'evidence of sex' when looking over a family of bears. I can't tell you how many, I have passed off without a second glance. From now on, I'll be looking for the penis sheath, just in case I run into the exceptional bear.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Rule number 1: Never believe one word out of a game biologist's mouth.

Taylor

Post #17
    That's strong language.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Maybe the boar had a really good lawyer, and got the den too....
    Good observation Erik!

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    For sure enough info from a credible source to warrant good optics and closer examination for 'evidence of sex' when looking over a family of bears. I can't tell you how many, I have passed off without a second glance. From now on, I'll be looking for the penis sheath, just in case I run into the exceptional bear.
    "...can't tell you how many, I have passed off without a second glance...", you sure aren't the only one. As I listened to the account, could not help but wonder just how how many have been evaluated just too quickly in basing the determination as to the group composition on size difference or actions. Same thing the first time I realized the non-aggressive interaction was taking place between two young mature boars or saw six sheep bedded in pairs of "big" - small along a ridge and they turned out to be rams. That initial sighting for the sheep was at over five miles, with the bears 4 or 500 yards, and had the general route of travel not brought us closer in both circumstances we may never have realized the animals had been mis-classified.
    Can't beat using good optics and even more importantly not jumping to conclusions when evaluating these animals.
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast