Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bushdwellers Vanishing?

Default Bushdwellers Vanishing?

I was wondering if anyone feels the same way I do? I see our way of life vanishing, I try to live as much as possible off the land and stay away from the road system, but, it seems the Internet is taking over our lives, people on the road system wanting to punch roads through the wilderness, wanting to drill, dig big holes [Pebble] in the land, make laws, rules and regulations telling how we should hunt,fish trap and when. It seems that these kinds of people care only about what they can get financially and ignore those of us that just want to be left alone and live our lives without them. By next fall maybe earlier, I will be Internet free. It's kind of like being addicted to a drug. Anyway, what's your thought?

I completely agree with your thoughts. We've been on this course for quite some years if you ask me. There are still some people I know that live in the bush around here, and always will be, but seems like today's modern life style steers alot people away from it. Not much homesteading anymore, more regulation, and to buy land takes money which means a job. Next thing you know you have a mortgage on a house, 2 cars, 3 kids, internet, cable, cell phones and on and on. Takes a very concious effort to escape all that these days. I started living my dream and got sidetracked along the way...

I'm a slave, I'm a slave, I'm a slave to my home. I'm a slave to every d*** thing that I own.

The maj, of the new gen. dos'nt want to live like we did.

I'm not saying all, but........

They have their games and their friends and their hate of how they were mistreated ( in thier minds) while they were growing up. All their friends had more than they did.

I am blessed with a family that has lived through the hard times, and can do it again anytime.

Did'nt even see elec til I was 16, lol. Never had water in the house besides what we hauled.

I hear ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelikofkid View Post
    I completely agree with your thoughts. We've been on this course for quite some years if you ask me. There are still some people I know that live in the bush around here, and always will be, but seems like today's modern life style steers alot people away from it. Not much homesteading anymore, more regulation, and to buy land takes money which means a job. Next thing you know you have a mortgage on a house, 2 cars, 3 kids, internet, cable, cell phones and on and on. Takes a very concious effort to escape all that these days. I started living my dream and got sidetracked along the way...

I'm a slave, I'm a slave, I'm a slave to my home. I'm a slave to every d*** thing that I own.

I know what you mean. I was brought up living off the land. It seems somewhere during my middle age period, I got caught up with modern life. Now at 63, actually it started in my fifties, I have been slowly getting back to the way I lived as a child. I enjoy listening to Caribou Clatters on KACM on my radio but, even now the clatters have dwindled because of Satellite Internet and cellphones. I never go to town during the winter and in the summer I go only when I go to the VA for my annual physical and to shop.

I will readily admit, I have never met anyone in Alaska that lives of the land, entirely. I honestly believe it to be a myth. I have had contact with others in other countries that did though and it did not appeal to me.

But, you are correct in that the bush dwellers are dwindling. They simply can't afford to live there, in their own words, not mine. The latest Census Figures bear this out.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I will readily admit, I have never met anyone in Alaska that lives of the land, entirely. I honestly believe it to be a myth. I have had contact with others in other countries that did though and it did not appeal to me.

But, you are correct in that the bush dwellers are dwindling. They simply can't afford to live there, in their own words, not mine. The latest Census Figures bear this out.

I suppose their are some who can't afford it but, only because they need to have certain things in their life. I for one can afford it and do. The only thing I need to buy are some groceries and gas for my chainsaw. Like I said previously, I do not go to town during the winter. I spend all my time in the winter splitting wood, hauling water, hunting and walking the land. Indoors, I listen to radio, read and company comes once and awhile either by snowmachine or plane. If anyone is interested, I recommend getting the DVD entitled "Into the wilderness" trust me you will enjoy it very much. It can be bought on Ebay or Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    ... I recommend getting the DVD entitled "Into the wilderness" trust me you will enjoy it very much. It can be bought on Ebay or Amazon.
    Are you thinking of the four-DVD set by that title, "Into the Wilderness" by TOpic Entertainment? You might also enjoy "Alone in the Wilderness"? The Dick Proenneke story. We have that DVD here in our store, and we also have the other two Dick Proenneke DVDs, "The Frozen North" and "Silence and Solitude" here as well. Parts of them can also be viewed on YouTube for free (thought I'd mention that before someone else does... and you know who you are :-))

We also carry Sam Keith's book about the Dick Proenneke story, "One Man's Wilderness", if anyone is interested. Sheesh... I sound like a salesman...

Anyway, there's some good stuff in the store, and we're constantly adding new things.

-Mike

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

When I was livin' out there, I couldn't get even radio, tried several times, decided I liked the silence better anyway. Didn't much care what was happening back in the world

So, I read books, walked the land a lot, as 4ever is doing, seemed there was always work to do even after dark, so,

I wonder how are the Bushdwellers getting online now?

It's quite a bit different even now than it was in the eighties, and back then I'm not sure I could have done without chainsaw gas, new chain now and then, bar oil, and then walkin' out for a Burger and pce of pie in town, with folks around, to watch, for entertainment, for a day or two.

Question is, Bushdwellers like ole Dick, still out there at all anymore, how are you watching DVD's, ... Out there?

I remember getting a little generator, after a while, for electricity, too noisy, the lights were too bright anyway, went back to lamps
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

According to the turkey bomber(he is a missionary who air drops turkeys every Thanksgiving)the number of young families living in the bush are going down but the number of retired people are moving out to the bush are growing. Our only neighbor is an 86 year old coot who gets insulted when I offer to help him get his fire wood in.

If you move to the Mat-Su borough don't get rid of youre internet unless you live close to the Skwentna post office you to pay the drunken sailors at the borough your property taxes. They don't care if you don't get mail their attitude is it is your own fault for living in the bush.
    Chuck

I suppose their are some who can't afford it but, only because they need to have certain things in their life. I for one can afford it and do. The only thing I need to buy are some groceries and gas for my chainsaw. Like I said previously, I do not go to town during the winter. I spend all my time in the winter splitting wood, hauling water, hunting and walking the land. Indoors, I listen to radio, read and company comes once and awhile either by snowmachine or plane. If anyone is interested, I recommend getting the DVD entitled "Into the wilderness" trust me you will enjoy it very much. It can be bought on Ebay or Amazon.
    Pleasant thought and fun to only think of necessities, but I don't want the unknowing to think they can get by on a chain saw and some grub...so I will add;
    Transportation to and from the city from time to time
    Medicine, for most
    Snowmachine, oil, gas, parts
    Freight Sled
    Clothes, warm ones
    Power Source
    Woodstove and replacement pipes from time to time
    Taxes, Real Property
    Communications of some sort, for most
    Guns
    Bullets
    Traps
    Knives
    Water distillation or filtering or well expenses
    Access Fees to, from and thru points of disembarkment
    Hopefully some will realize there are lots of hidden costs to be considered and jumping off the grid should not be taken lightly. All the folks I know, living off the grid are getting subsidized or have a fixed income from a previous endeavor.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Hopefully some will realize there are lots of hidden costs to be considered and jumping off the grid should not be taken lightly. All the folks I know, living off the grid are getting subsidized or have a fixed income from a previous endeavor.
    This is true, I just didn't want to get into the list,
    you forgot
    packaged Top Ramen,
    Oatmeal in those nice cardboard tubes,

some of your other stuff is pretty fancy Res, snomachine ?? or Snoshoes, you musta meant
    So, how did they do it back in the day? They loaded it all up on a sledge at skagway and hauled it all in, when it ran out they hauled themselves back to the nearest port and headed for San Francisco?

or learned to enjoy Fiddlehead Ferns and Moose burger, Oh forgot, can't grind without that genset, better keep your teeth up
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    learned to enjoy Fiddlehead Ferns and Moose burger, Oh forgot, can't grind without that genset, better keep your teeth up
    heh heh There is a set of false teeth, whitttled out of wood, in the Museum at Eagle. Gotta be Tough...it is doable....I guess.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Are you thinking of the four-DVD set by that title, "Into the Wilderness" by TOpic Entertainment? You might also enjoy "Alone in the Wilderness"? The Dick Proenneke story. We have that DVD here in our store, and we also have the other two Dick Proenneke DVDs, "The Frozen North" and "Silence and Solitude" here as well. Parts of them can also be viewed on YouTube for free (thought I'd mention that before someone else does... and you know who you are :-))

We also carry Sam Keith's book about the Dick Proenneke story, "One Man's Wilderness", if anyone is interested. Sheesh... I sound like a salesman...

Anyway, there's some good stuff in the store, and we're constantly adding new things.

-Mike

-Mike

Actually Dick Proenneke was my neighbor. I live just below Twin Lakes and use to visit him.

Pleasant thought and fun to only think of necessities, but I don't want the unknowing to think they can get by on a chain saw and some grub...so I will add;
    Transportation to and from the city from time to time
    Medicine, for most
    Snowmachine, oil, gas, parts
    Freight Sled
    Clothes, warm ones
    Power Source
    Woodstove and replacement pipes from time to time
    Taxes, Real Property
    Communications of some sort, for most
    Guns
    Bullets
    Traps
    Knives
    Water distillation or filtering or well expenses
    Access Fees to, from and thru points of disembarkment

Two words....... Dick Proenneke......What he did isn't impossible even today.

I saw his show where he built his own cabin. Still remember the wooden hinges. Now that man was a true stud. Can't even imagine what it was like.

Transportation to and from the city from time to time...........ONLY IF YOU NEED TO GO
    Medicine, for most...............I'M 63 AND DON"T USE ANYTHING BUT, ASPRIN
    Snowmachine, oil, gas, parts.............YOU GOT ME THERE, EXCEPT, IF NEED BE I CAN WALK
    Freight Sled............EASILY MADE OUT OF WOOD FROM TREES, THAT'S HOW I MADE MINE
    Clothes, warm ones...............WARM CLOTHES EASY TO COME BY AND IF YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH< YOU CAN MAKE THEM FROM ANIMALS.
    Power Source..........THE IDEA OF LIVING REMOTE IS NOT HAVING A POWER SOURCE OR IF NEED BE, A HONDA EU GENERATOR WORKS GOOD.
    Woodstove and replacement pipes from time to time...............THEY DON'T NEED TO BE REPLACED THAT OFTEN.
    Taxes, Real Property.................DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE
    Communications of some sort, for most..............THIS IS ALSO UP IN THE AIR
    Guns............ONE OR TWO GUNS IS SUFFICIENT, TAKE CARE OF THEM AND THEY LAST A LONG TIME. SOME ARE CAPABLE ENOUGH TO HUNT WITH A BOW
    Bullets..........RELOADS KEEP THE COST DOWN
    Traps............BUY THEM OR MAKE THEM
    Knives..........SAME AS TRAPS
    Water distillation or filtering or well expenses.............I DRINK MY WATER STRAIGHT FROM THE LAKE, YOU CAN ALWAYS BOIL WATER
    Access Fees to, from and thru points of disembarkment...........NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS.
    Hopefully some will realize there are lots of hidden costs to be considered and jumping off the grid should not be taken lightly. All the folks I know, living off the grid are getting subsidized or have a fixed income from a previous endeavor................BUT, YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYBODY. SOME MAKE THINGS FROM NATURAL RESOURCES AND SELL THEM.

You are right about one thing, in order to live a remote life, you need experience or someone to teach you. You have to be tough and have a lot of common sense to up and do it without help.

This is the kind of thread I like. Everyone can learn something from everyone who contributes to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    This is true, I just didn't want to get into the list,
    you forgot
    packaged Top Ramen,
    Oatmeal in those nice cardboard tubes,

some of your other stuff is pretty fancy Res, snomachine ?? or Snoshoes, you musta meant
    So, how did they do it back in the day? They loaded it all up on a sledge at skagway and hauled it all in, when it ran out they hauled themselves back to the nearest port and headed for San Francisco?

or learned to enjoy Fiddlehead Ferns and Moose burger, Oh forgot, can't grind without that genset, better keep your teeth up

Actually, I grind my meat with an old fashion hand grinder attached to my counter.

Actually Dick Proenneke was my neighbor. I live just below Twin Lakes and use to visit him.

I forgot to add, about the DVD into the wilderness, yes, that's the one. Good watch

When I lived on Lake Clark, a few times I talked to Dick over in Port Alsworth, I was never up to his cabin.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast