Thread: Snares freezing?

Default Snares freezing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	42732

Lately with all this warm, cold, warm cold and inconsistant temps, I have had about half the locks on my snares freeze up.. URGGG.. had a fox literally walk through 3 snares in a row monday, frozen solid.. and not just a little frost, but I put my arm in their and ripped and it wouldn't even move.. Anyone else having this issue, and if so, any way to fix the problems?

I am using 3/32 ga cable with bridger locks. All the wire, cable has been boiled in baking soda, rinsed, dyed black.. Urggggggg....Here is a medium female I caught friday.

Not an expert on snaring in cold weather, but am an experimenter.....lol
    Maybe try coating your wires and locks with olive oil or something and see if it helps. Might not, but maybe worth a try. Ice won't stick to the oil as bad I'm thinking. I'd keep it thin tho, cuz oil can get sticky when cold too if you apply too much. JAT
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

IMHO, oil is a bad idea. I would keep on doing what yer doing, and chalk this up as part of the bargain. Nothing works as well in the cold.
    Maybe bring your sets in and let them warm up and dry out for an hour or so, and then re-set. I know, alot of work, but it may be worth it.

Just my thoughts but I would think the fox / canine predators would smell the oil and not go near it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf0994 View Post
    Just my thoughts but I would think the fox / canine predators would smell the oil and not go near it.
    Well, I don't think I said motor oil.........LOL
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

The object of a snare is to catch them unaware with no smell. When snares freeze the easiest thing to do is slide the lock back and forth several times until the ice is gone from the lock and cable no need for oil of any kind be it vegetable, olive, or motor oil it is one more thing they can smell and help draw unwanted attention to a snare
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Supporting Member

Had the same problem with my snares when checked today. I do as Otterman suggests and simply break the locks free by working them back and forth on the cable. Usually this freezing problem is only associated with the "cam-style" locks, but this time, it did not seem to matter what type of lock I was using, they were all frozen. Just part of the game and something you encounter from time to time!
    You mentioned using 3/32 inch cable. Is that what you are using for all your snares? I normally reserve that for wolf snares and use 1/16 for fox and lynx and 5/64 for coyote.

I'm going to the trapper store today and get some thinner cables, I checked today and had 2 more nice reds, but missed 4 others as they were frozen again, I pulled them and reset new ones... 3/32 is what I been using... I'll post some pics tonight of todays catch, 1 is a huge male, cherry red

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post

Name:	photo (2).JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	42732

Awww...the ol' fence climb over set..LOL..

I'm not familiar with bridger locks. I mainly use berkshires and thompsons, they will freeze if rained on, but are usually pretty fool proof. Stay away from cam locks if freezing is an issue...

BTW, Otterman and Spike are 100% on this one.

I would switch to amberg or cam locks and try that also, when your snares freeze up in the field leave them set and exercise them? open close open close ect... as otterman said. Also snares never go inside, don't warm them up then bring back out into the cold. I like my snares fast closing basicly dropping on them so they can't back out. Thus the ambergs or other fast locks. Hoyt I also like 1/16" 1 by 19 wire for fox and cats. Fast and less frosting IMO. Store all snare out in the cold boxed and bagged.
    No oil.... period maybe bacon grease... ya YA!!! thats it.. bacon grease try that.
    Oil will slow down snares, gum them up, will not prevent frost/ice bulid and will only cause more problems. IMO

I can't seem to post pics from my I phone, urggg I got 100 feet of smaller cable yesterday and will boil and deodorise tonight, check and make some more sets Friday. The fox on the fence was running the edge. So I wired a snare right to the chainlink and bam... Got another juvenile female further down but at a crossing point where they go under in a washout...

Default 2 more fox

Name:	156328_467532216585_595066585_5898133_2548807_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	42791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65468_467531881585_595066585_5898131_2069133_n.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	42790

Here is a couple pics of yesterdays catch. 2 red fox, 1 adult male and a juv female..

Hoytguy,

Are you primarily snaring fox, yotes, cats?? If so, go with the 1/16" cable. You do not need any bigger than that. I have washer locks on the ones I make. I have heard about people that live where the weather warms up have issues with cam-locks, but I never have and that is all I use on my wolf snares. The 1/16" wire is much harder for the animal to see also. Get the 1x19.

I agree about the smaller cable. I use both berkshire and Micro locks. Ive noticed that even when the berkshire are slow or frozen the micro locks continue to work. Hillbilly

Vaseline is fairly odorless. Try in on the lock.
    Stay away from camlocks in freeze thaw conditions. Well, warm weather isn't bad, but rain and freeze is.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I've been dealing with the same thing. The locks themselves don't freeze, but the cable has ice on it. This stops the snare from closing. Part of the game I guess...

Since the temps dropped and Iv'e had no ice on my sets..I managed to catch 4 now in the past week. Picked up the biggest of the season this morning in a snare, had another right next to it, but managed to break the tree off and somehow get off.The one this morning measured 56 inches form nose to tip of tail, unstreched. Adult male.

Checked a few more sets and fell through the ice with half of my quad.. Pretty deep on the left side. Got wet so I returned home...Lots of sign. My guess is with all this wind not much will move in the next 24-48hours..

Name:	59incher.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	42972