Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting grouse from a tree?

Question Shooting grouse from a tree?

So I read in an old book if one flushes a flock of grouse into a tree, if you shoot the bottom bird first say with a .22 and work up toward the top bird, one might possibly harvest the whole flock. So is there any truth to this? Does this apply to grouse and ptarmigan? This book was written around 100 years ago. Thanks!

The book is this one online: http://www.archive.org/stream/trails...ge/n9/mode/2up

That has NOT been My experience. It is rare to find more that two in one group, at least around here.

I've seen as many as 4 in a tree, generally less. Shoot one and the other(s) usually fly to another tree.

When I was a kid (early 80's), I found a flock of 15 in a set of small spruce trees behind our house in Willow. I watched them for a little while and was able to line two of them up and got two with one round (head shots on both). The rest of them flew most of the way to Talkeetna I guess since I couldn't find any of them....

That was the last time I have seen more than 4-5 in one flock. It looked like the trees were alive with the birds hopping around from limb to limb. They didn't spook till I shot the two. Too bad we don't see flocks like that any more.

I still look at that group of trees every time I walk past them on the way to my moose stand. In 30 years I haven't seen another bird there.

Now ptarmigan are a different story.....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

WHAT???
    Can grouse fly?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I have shot 3 outta one tree before.. lower to higher... the last 2 flew on to the ground to be taken out..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I have only seen one ptarmigan land in a tree out of the countless that I've flushed.Even when undisurbed,I've still never seen them in a tree.I bought my browning .22 just for shooting spruce chickens on the way up our a ptarmigan that let's it's guard up on the mountian side,they sure taste better than mountian house.If you flush a flock they always fly to a tree.I've seen 3 land in one at the most,but the rest of the flock won't "tree" to far.If you shoot and they fly they still will just simpley fly to the next one they feel safe at.I think that's why there labeled as stupid chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    When I was a kid (early 80's), I found a flock of 15 in a set of small spruce trees behind our house in Willow. I watched them for a little while and was able to line two of them up and got two with one round (head shots on both). The rest of them flew most of the way to Talkeetna I guess since I couldn't find any of them....

That was the last time I have seen more than 4-5 in one flock. It looked like the trees were alive with the birds hopping around from limb to limb. They didn't spook till I shot the two. Too bad we don't see flocks like that any more.

I still look at that group of trees every time I walk past them on the way to my moose stand. In 30 years I haven't seen another bird there.

Now ptarmigan are a different story.....
    When I was a lad of about 6, in Seely Lake Montana, my next older brother and I hid from our oldest brother under a large yellow pine out in a field. We did not know that there was more than a few grouse (or pheasants; can't remember which) up there in the tree, though we saw a few. When my oldest brother came running up to find us, all the birds flew off at once, and pooped as they took off. Must have been a dozen or more, and we went home totally covered in crap. We thought it was awesome, but our mom was not amused.

last week i was tromping around the alpine lookin for ptarmies when i came across a group of about 50. i had never seen anything like it. shot one with the 22. and they spooked like dominos. after chasing them down i ended up with 8 birds.

I have never been able to get more than two grouse out of one tree without them flying off. Usually I can only get one before the rest fly off and like others have posted it has been some time since I have seen more than one grouse in a tree.

As far as ptarmigan in trees goes Fort Greely is the only place I have ever seen any in trees. We used to see them in the fall and winter on post and they would almost always be in trees or would fly up into the trees.

I have shot many a spruce grouse from a tree with my bow and arrow. I won't shoot them in a tree with a 22. I don't want my bullet to land on somebody's house or something. I even shot one from the roof of my house once. A lot of fun to hunt with a bow. The nice thing about shooting them with a bow is often times the others will just sit around and watch. You can often get two or three. The only problem is losing arrows. If you use a judo point, you are less apt to lose arrows. Also, don't pull your bow all the way back to your anchor when shooting grouse out of trees. Half draw works just fine. You have to shoot instinctively though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I have shot many a spruce grouse from a tree with my bow and arrow. I won't shoot them in a tree with a 22. I don't want my bullet to land on somebody's house or something. I even shot one from the roof of my house once. A lot of fun to hunt with a bow. The nice thing about shooting them with a bow is often times the others will just sit around and watch. You can often get two or three. The only problem is losing arrows. If you use a judo point, you are less apt to lose arrows. Also, don't pull your bow all the way back to your anchor when shooting grouse out of trees. Half draw works just fine. You have to shoot instinctively though.
    A .22 CB round should anchor them or a pellet gun. Anyone use them too? Thought about that,slingshot or even blow gun... with much more practice though...

I have with w pellet gun. I have killed 3 a few times but I don't recall ever shooting more than that in one tree. I have shot 6 without actually taking a step in any direction but they were in 3 or 4 different trees.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we sit on my front step in the fall and shoot them with the 22 as they walk across the drive way... so far 9 in a row is our limit.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    we sit on my front step in the fall and shoot them with the 22 as they walk across the drive way... so far 9 in a row is our limit.
    Can I run my dog around your house! LOL

Slingshots work well and dosn't spook the rest of the birds. I am not the greatest shot with one but it goes with me on all my alpine hunts just incase and I have been glad I brought it. On the other hand a 12ga w/8shot has worked well for multiple treed birds.

Every time this thread pops up in the list, my first thought upon reading the title is: Why would anyone want to sit in a tree to shoot a grouse?

I like head shots with .22 CB shorts, be they on the ground or in the trees.

I am with LuJon, I have shot upwards to 5 in one spot without taking a step, but they were not all in the same tree. These were mainly Sharptails though.

I shot 3 from a tree once, lowest to highest. There were 6 total.
    The tree was down hill so the bottom bird was level to me. I took care to line myself up so the bullet would strike the trunk.

The next lowest bird was 5 feet or so above. At the shot the low bird dropped and there was some cackling but none of the others flew off. Bird two fell and took two others with it. Bird three spooked the remaining bird.

Two of the others flushed close enough to follow up on but I figured half of the group was enough.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I once saw a flock of Ruffed Grouse in the alders along the road near my house. I got my pellet rifle out and shot 5 or 6 of them. I shot the lower ones first and they flapped their wings as they dropped out of the trees and the others looked at them but kept feeding until their turn came. A friend of mine was up visiting the next summer from Iowa and saw the pictures of them. He hunted grouse back in Northern Iowa and when I told him that I had shot them with the pellet gun he didn't believe me. My 4 year old daughter was with me when I shot the Ruffies the fall before and I told her to tell my friend what I shot the grouse with and she told him that I used my BB gun. We really laughed at that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast