Thread: Brand new CZ 550 FS 6.5x55 Swedish

Default Brand new CZ 550 FS 6.5x55 Swedish

I called a local store to see if they could order a CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 (CZ is sold out on the limited production). The first clerk basically told me good luck, then some background chatter, then a guygot on the phone and said someone ordered one last year and never came to get it, I got it for $200 off, under $700.

Man, is it a looker with the full Mannlicher grainy walnut stock! Not sure how to break the news to her..... Maybe I should just say that I saved $200 today and give it to her. How could one argue with that? When she discovers I'll just say remember....and I gave you $200?

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    Man, is it a looker with the full Mannlicher grainy walnut stock! Not sure how to break the news to her..... Maybe I should just say that I saved $200 today and give it to her. How could one argue with that? When she discovers I'll just say remember....and I gave you $200?
    Congrats on the new rifle! I love the 6.5 Swede and that should be a nice complement to a full stocked rifle.

I also love your plan to share the news to the wife; I've got my doubts that it'll work, but I love your optimism.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Ah man, I'm jealous. Wouldn't I love to have a lefty! I'm betting it would become my favorite deer rifle in 2 seconds flat.

4 of the 7 Alaskan deer taken this year in my group of 5 guys were with 6.5x55 Swedish. I was using a Milsurp model 1938 Husky 6.5x55, with 160 grain Hornadys and IMR 4831. I used to use a 1917 model 1896 Carl Gustaf 6.5x55.

Wow, this new CZ 6.5x55 shows some old fashioned European craftsmanship. However, the twist is 1 in 9, vs 1 in 7.5 in the swedish military rifles. I hope it likes 160 grain bullets.

It'll like 160 Hornady's just fine! Congrats on a beautiful and affordable example of European craftsmanship.

My CG-83 target rifle has a Shultz and Larson barrel with a 1 in 9 twist. It handles the 160s just fine.
    It is a matter of over-all bullet length and not bullet weight, when it come to rifling twist. If I can get this photo to work....You will note that the 160 grain Hornady is actually shorter than the 140 grain boat-tails. You may have problems with some of the longer boat-tails. My 1in 9 twist really likes the 120 grain and 130 grain Nosler Accubond type bullets driven at fairly high speed. I also have a model 70 featherweight in 6.5x55mm that after some work now shoots very well. It will handle much more chamber pressure , as will your CZ-550, than the old Swede Mausers,,,, So I found a good load for that rifle and mark those with a ring of red Sharpe-Pen ink around the brass.
    6.5mm bullet lengths 001.jpg
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I called a local store to see if they could order a CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 (CZ is sold out on the limited production). The first clerk basically told me good luck, then some background chatter, then a guygot on the phone and said someone ordered one last year and never came to get it, I got it for $200 off, under $700.

Yes, a very nice rifle. I have the same one as yours only chambered for the 9.3. It's probably one of the most beautiful, and accurate factory rifles I've ever bought. It's been with me all spring/summer/fall. The finish is still fine, and it'll still drive tacks. Don't be surprised if your rifle prints half inch groups. The open sights are very precise too, some of the best I've used.

Mainer - how's the bluing holding up? I'm debating sending mine off for a different finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    You will note that the 160 grain Hornady is actually shorter than the 140 grain boat-tails. You may have problems with some of the longer boat-tails. 6.5mm bullet lengths 001.jpg
    I'm looking at your display and yes the 140ish boatails are longer, but my beloved 160 grain bullets will have much more bearing surface in the rifling and should work great. Who knows, maybe I'll find another sweetheart load for this rifle......I'm open to suggestions and recall that you like RL 22 more than IMR 4831 for this caliber.
    She still doesn't know that I bought it and I think things are past the point of no return
    so I'm going to shut up and throw big bucks her way a few times.

bluing is fine, little bit of rust spots sometimes(three days of rain), but I always take a rag out of a zip lock bag (when in the field) that I drenched with silicone spray. The gun gets a rub down every night before I seal up the sleeping bag.

Rifle Shooter, what is your barrel length?

I am thinking that some of the loads for my M-70 in 6.5x55 might work just fine in your CZ550. It (M-70) only has a 22 inch barrel.

I find it is a good idea to pretend to be trying to sell something about this time of year. It confuses their intel about your actually buying something.

Congrats on the full stock 550!! I would love to trade to go with my full stock 7x57 and full stock American 452 in 22LR.

I have a regular 550 with a 24" barrel and it shoots wonderfully with 120's and 140's....have not tried 160's. I can regularly hit a 12" gong at 600 yds with my CZ and I use Swedes to shoot "battle rifle" against the old 1903's and SMLE's in my club. They get beat up with recoil and I just smile. Good luck with it!

Float Pilot,

I used to live up on Diamond Ridge when I live in Homer and flew 135 for Cook Inlet Aviation back in the mid 80's and did some tail wheel instruction in a 185 and now own a '48 170 with metal wings....I miss Homer a lot and will be moving to Sandpoin, ID when my wife retires. Almost Homer with shorter winters!!

Joe

Barrel is 520 mm = 20.4724 inches.

Barrel is 520 mm = 20.4724 inches.
    A nice carbine length....
    Here are some load experiments from my 22 inch M-70. Usually you would get a 50 fps drop due to the 2 inches less of barrel length..... BUT.. you have a slower twist rate so it might come out even.
    The first load is a factory load for comparison.

6.5x55mm Winchester MODEL 70 LOADS ONLY

Federal factory 140gr Soft Point:
    = 2,375 fps, 0.50 inch group.

120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip: 46.5gr RL-19, Lapua, CCI BR-2, 3.085 col
    = 2,560 fps and a 1.0 inch group

120gr Sierra Match King: 46.0 gr RL-19, Lapua, BR-2, 3.085 col
    = 2,508 fps and a 0.50 inch group.

120gr Hornady A-Max, 48.8gr IMR-4831, ww,ww, 2.964 col
    = 2,925 fps and a 0.75 inch group Lee Crimp. High Pressure

129gr Hornady SST, 47.3gr IMR-4831, WW, WW Stand, 2.942 col
    =2,808 fps and a 1.5 inch group. no crimp. Cratered primers

140gr Rem Accu-Tip, 47.0gr RL-22, Lapua Brass, CCI-200, 3.970 col
    = 2,640 fps and a 1.0 inch group

140gr Nosler Partition, 47.0gr RL-22, Lapua Brass, CCI-200, 3.950 col
    = 2,569 fps and a 1.5 inch group

140gr Hornady Soft :Point , 47.0gr RL-22, Lapua Brass, CCI-200, 3.850 col
    = 2,575 fps and a 2.0 inch group

140gr Hornady SST. 46.5 gr RL-19, Lapua, CCI-200, 3.090 COL

= 2,570 fps and a 1.0 inch group

140gr Hornady SST, 44.5 gr H-4350, Lapua, CCI-200, 3.090 col
    = 2,608 fps and a 1.5 inch group

140gr Hornady SST, 44.5gr H-100V, Lapua, CCI-200 3.090 col
    =2,669 fps and a 0.50 inch group.

140gr Sierra Game King, 44.5gr H-100V, WW, WW, 2.930col
    = 2,675 fps and a 0.55 inch group Lee factory Crimp, no pressure signs

140gr Hornady Soft Point, 44.5gr H-100V, ww, ww, 2.945 col
    =2,680 fps and a 2.5 inch group. Lee Crimp. Some pressure signs

140gr Hornady R. N. 44.5gr H-100V, WW, WW 2.975 col
    =2,620 fps and a HUGE Group, lee Crimp

140gr Hornady SST, 46.5gr IMR-4831, ww,ww, 2.995 col
    =2,700 fps and a 0.75 inch group, primer flow

160gr Hornady Round Nose: 45.0 gr RL-22, PMC, Rem 9.5, 3.100 col
    = 2,288 fps and a 1.5 inch group

Floatpilot: Thanks for the data, I know that took a lot of research, development time and $bucks. I'll start working up a load after the holidays.

Presently, I'm lookingfor a sling to go on this beautiful rifle. It has to compliment the rifle and be 1 inch wide. I'm looking for a simple and plain brown leather sling like you would see on a mannlicher stocked rifle in Bavaria. I looked at our leather military slings, but for this rifle, I'd didn't care for all of the adjustment holes and shiny brass adjustment hook plates. Sometimes, plain and simple is classy and timeless, like a Hickey suit. Ever see a beatiful rifle with a functional, however, butt ugly sling?
    Below is the best I've found so far(want more plain brown and less redish), but open to suggestions.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Company...694713&sr=1-27

Rifleshooter if you want to try 156 gr Normas or the 156 grain Lapua megas let me know I got some I want to get rid of cheap. Both shoot far better than the 160 Hornadys in my 6.5x55s.

Powder: RL22 and VN560, along with Norma 204 and URP are my go to granules

Floatpilot: Thanks for the data, I know that took a lot of research, development time and $bucks. I'll start working up a load after the holidays.

Presently, I'm lookingfor a sling to go on this beautiful rifle. It has to compliment the rifle and be 1 inch wide. I'm looking for a simple and plain brown leather sling like you would see on a mannlicher stocked rifle in Bavaria. I looked at our leather military slings, but for this rifle, I'd didn't care for all of the adjustment holes and shiny brass adjustment hook plates. Sometimes, plain and simple is classy and timeless, like a Hickey suit. Ever see a beatiful rifle with a functional, however, butt ugly sling?
    Below is the best I've found so far(want more plain brown and less redish), but open to suggestions.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Company...694713&sr=1-27
    Shooter, I have one of these on a very similar gun and it.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=4...00002517_d_373

Rifleshooter:
    For a very simple sling you may want to look at an issues Swede Mauser sling. They are pretty simple. But they do have a buckle and holes.

Personally I really like the Montana Slings. http://www.montanagunslings.com/

They do not have any metal. Or holes.... They have some sort of weird saddlery type knot that adjust the length quickly and silently. But then it magically holds the sling length in place. They are well worth the money.

+1 for Montana Slings. Have three and they work as advertised.
    Afflicted by condition human

+2 on Montana slings. I've got one on my 270 (also a CZ).

You're going to love that gun. Great caliber in a great rifle. I had been interested in CZ for about 10 years before I bought mine. It is an absolute tack driver. I didn't originally think I would use the set trigger in actual hunting situations, but I was wrong. Last year I killed a moose at just over 400 yards (by far the longest shot I have ever taken at an animal, but there was no chance of getting closer) and this year I killed a caribou at just over 300 yards. Both times I had the opportunity to set up with a good rest and wait for the perfect shot to present itself. I just thought about squeezing the trigger and it went off.

My next rifle will most likely be a Ruger #1, but when I'm in the market for another repeater it will definitely be a CZ.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison