Thread: Towing From Washington to AK

Default Towing From Washington to AK

This spring I am towing my boat from Washington up to AK. I am a little nervous about coming through Canada since my boat has a 9' beam. I have been trying to find out about oversize permits for Canada but am not having much luck. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

trailerboats magazine printed an article about this. Try going over there with your question. I dont think it will be a problem.

I recived a list of phone numbers for all the weigh stations in western Canada from the dot office in Anchorage. No problems at 10' wide but they are picky about being 13' high in B.C. and they want flags on all 4 corners. Only cost like 12 bucks each province for the permit, just call ahead to get your permit before you get to the next province.

Default oversize numbers

if it is wider than 8' 6" it requires oversize permits. I am bringing mine up in march. Here are the numbers.

alaska 907-341-3200 or www.alaska.state.ak.us $25

yukon 867-667-5729 $15

british columbia 800-559-9688 $15

Smile Thanks Guys

Thank you so much for the information, I appreciate it greatly. Have a good safe trip Slow Reflection, I will be making the trip the first week in April.

Default Watch the weather

Be carefull towing up that early and look for a good weather window. I've done it many times and its mostly been sping like weather, but got caught one time in a white-out in northern Canada and found myself in the ditch before a could find a pull-out big enough.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Question Another question

I'm considering towing my boat down to the states this summer during my vacation. Would it be better to take the Cassiar or the Alcan?

Default Towing in Summer

I personally have always taken the Alcan, but my parents have taken many trips down on the Cassiar during the summer and said it was beautiful. I was told that in the winter there are not to many places open on the Cassiar so I have not gone that route. If I was to go in the summer I would prob. go for the Cassiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Benwa View Post
    I personally have always taken the Alcan, but my parents have taken many trips down on the Cassiar during the summer and said it was beautiful. I was told that in the winter there are not to many places open on the Cassiar so I have not gone that route. If I was to go in the summer I would prob. go for the Cassiar.

The cassiar is more scenic but it is also in poor condition compared to the Alcan. Its got lots of twisty and steep terrain that is much less fun when lugging a trailer around. Make sure you've got spare parts/tires/tools and a truck with a good transmission.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I drove the Alcan up here for the last four summers. Last summer was on a Goldwing. Summer before that I towed back my Sea Sport. Every year the highway gets better. There is always some new construction going on to take out the curvy sections and frost heaves but most of the time it is a much better highway than what we are used to in Alaska.

The absolute worst stretch of the road is about the last 60-75 miles or so as you are coming north before you hit the US border station. Frost heaves were so bad I literally was tossed off my seat on my Wing.

It is a piece of cake to drive from Washington state to Anchorage in 4 days unless you want to stop every hour. If you will be making the drive in April you will be hitting snow on occassions.

In April you will be "pre toursit" season and some gas stations will not be open. Three pieces of advice:

1) Purchase a copy of the Milepost.
    2) Never let your gas tank get under 1/2
    3. If you see a road flag out indicating slow down they really mean slow down!
    Tennessee

I brought my 23ft x 9ft beam Starcraft up last March from Seattle. I had no problems what so ever. I am glad I had new trailer brakes installed before I left Seattle; you will encounter some steep hills. I took 5 days making the 2600 mile journey to Homer. My tow vehicle was a ton 4x4 GMC, the boat and trailer weight was 8800 lbs. I drove slowly and enjoyed the scenery averaging about 9 miles per gallon. I spent around $1500 in fuel and another $600 for lodging. The cheapest bid I got to have it shipped was $4300. I had a great trip and would do it again.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.