Thread: Boat top/roof rack

Default Boat top/roof rack

I'm looking to have a rack built to fit over the soft top of my boat. Something for additional storage long river hauls. I know there are a lot of folks out there who have done this and I was interested in seeing some pictures and also pros and cons of different configurations, basically what you like/dislike about your roof rack.

Here are a few photos of mine. I really like it, only thing I would do different is to make it a little lower. Akgramps has a nice one too.

Had mine made to mount on pads so it can be removed.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

off the subject but how does the jet work for a kicker? and why a jet?

Quote Originally Posted by rmk4x4 View Post
    off the subject but how does the jet work for a kicker? and why a jet?
    The jet is for the raft I use to run the shallow tidal rivers in PWS. It is like any other kicker a push the boat not on step kinda thing.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have been happy with this rack, I did add some diagonal bracing to take out some of the shake, had a rear bar built so I can put a canoe on top.
    Added rod holders and as you can see in the pic with the chair, it makes a ok platform to gain some elevation when drifting the rivers.
    Its really handy to not take up floor space in the boat, my goal was design it for about 200 pounds, I think it would be ok with quite a bit more weight.

We welded on a "spud" for the rack to sit on, pinned in place, This pic shows the snowmachine hood holddowns that I originally used, they were inadequate, so switched to a more positive SS pin (not pictured). I also use some heat shrink tubing over the spud to provide a insualtor of sorts. I have to replace the tubing yearly.
    EZ on & off

“Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

One more pic with the rear bar.....
    TR

Do you all find that the roof racks make the boat unstable--top heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Do you all find that the roof racks make the boat unstable--top heavy?
    Not at all, when I use the rack its usally because I have more than 2 people in the boat plus all the extra gear, so need the extra room in the boat. I try to put light weight stuff up top. Things like my dry food box, sleeping bags in dry bags and wtaever bulky items that fit. It might add up to 250-300 pounds at most.
    The rack itself weight maybe 20 pounds.
    TR

akgramps, I will freely admit that I plan to borrow heavily from your design when I do a rack on my Wooldridge AK!

Default semi-hard top?

I think when my canvas cover wears out (no sign of that happening so far....) I would replace the canvas top with an aluminum roof/rack/rod-holder sort of deal and still use canvas for the sides, front sloped portion between the windshield and roof, and the drop curtain.

My boat has a very useful full walk-around and I do not want rack poles & rod holders blocking the walk-around. Replacing the canvas roof with an aluminum roof and aluminum support poles and canvas side would cost more than just replacing the canvas, but then you are done with the roof for ever, no need to replace again. The combined aluminum roof & canvas sides thing would probably cheaper than replacing the entire canvas and also having a separate roof rack built.

Use of an appropriate overhanging drip edge would provide cover for the canvas snap line and provide a rain & wind proof installation

Nice to see some photos if anybody has done this..........

Tito,

I'm redoing my boat now and am replacing my canvas and side console controls with a 5' x 7' cabin with ALum roof, walk-thru windshield and hard sides that I will put in Lexan polycarbonate material in place of canvas and soft windows. I am doing the work myself and am designing in my head as I go. I will also have a roof rack for a canoe or my Ultimate 12 for fishing. Cabin will be big enough to sleep 2 but not real comfortably, but dry and sorta warm. I will try to post pictures if I can figure out how or get a son to help...building the boat is easier than posting pics.

Joe

Exactly what I was looking for, and some nice looking setups to boot. Anybody else have any?

Hey AKgramps Thats a nice looking rack. Glad to see your putting it to use. i need to spend more time using my boat TJ

Quote Originally Posted by tjsmetalart View Post
    Hey AKgramps Thats a nice looking rack. Glad to see your putting it to use. i need to spend more time using my boat TJ
    Hey TJ, good to see you on here, I think a Anouncment is inorder........... anyone needing boat fab work in Fairbanks, TJ can make it happen.

TJ is the man that put that rack together for me, I might like to think that I had something to do with it, but I was the helper and TJ made it come together............................
    TR

Thanks John you did all the hard part. All the design and proto type testing. now ill have to build one for mine and try to spend some more time on the proto type testing part.Only took mine out once last year. Im going to retire from 302 in august and just do my business.try and spend more time taking the grandsons fishing The welding parts easy stare at the bright light and keep it in the puddle. if you have to weld overhead just stand upside down and weld flat.

Any recommendations on where to get one of these built in the Mat-Su area? I don't have the tools (or skillset) to pull this off on my own. I'm going to need professional help. Talked to a couple people and prices hover around $3K. Seems the farther north you go, the cheaper the price

Stid/Gramps, thanks for the posts. I "borrowed" quite a bit from both of you and made some mods of my own. I'll post pics once I find my builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Any recommendations on where to get one of these built in the Mat-Su area? I don't have the tools (or skillset) to pull this off on my own. I'm going to need professional help. Talked to a couple people and prices hover around $3K. Seems the farther north you go, the cheaper the price

Stid/Gramps, thanks for the posts. I "borrowed" quite a bit from both of you and made some mods of my own. I'll post pics once I find my builder.
    Have you talked to Greatland welding on the Palmer Wasilla hwy...??? they do a lot of boat building, boat modifications, etc..
    they've done a lot of welding for me over the years and the work has always been excellent, and prices fair... /John