Thread: Fly (hook) size questions

Default Fly (hook) size questions

Hey guys.

Just starting ti tie & have a quick question. I'm wanting to order some hooks (merry Christmas to me!) & was wondering what your size recomendations would be. Mostly tying for Kenai Penisula lake fishing right now, some Adams for grayling, & wolly buggers for trout, matbe some ESL to start with.
    Thanks
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Hey guys.

Just starting ti tie & have a quick question. I'm wanting to order some hooks (merry Christmas to me!) & was wondering what your size recomendations would be. Mostly tying for Kenai Penisula lake fishing right now, some Adams for grayling, & wolly buggers for trout, matbe some ESL to start with.
    Thanks

Grayling or trout - 10-16 for dries - 6-14 for wet/nymphs & 4-10 for streamers.
    I don't think there's enough difference between the 2 to tie differently for them, though grayling will be more apt to hit dries & trout more apt to hit streamers.
    Gary

Also some 1x and 2x long sizes in the 10-14 ranges for your nymph hooks.

For streamers, I use the Mustad streamer hooks. Sizes 4 - 8. They are appropriately sized for streamers and cheap.

I was lucky enough to have someone walk me through Sportsmans and explain all the different sizes to me when I started tying not so long ago...