Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How capable is a Lund ssv 16?

Default How capable is a Lund ssv 16?

Thinking of getting a Lund ssv 16 with 40hp tiller. 2 adults 2 little kids. How capable is this boat in the chop, beaching, ride, etc? I'm a bit concerned about the rivets but good price. Will be in big lakes inlets etc.

You'll be fine. Rivets will eventually wear out but I've been in and owned several Lunds that were 20+ years old and they didn't have so much as a leak. It really depends on how you care for the boat. Don't leave standing water in the bottom to freeze all winter is big. I would feel safe in a 16 ft. Lund probably up to 3 ft seas. Not ideal but if you got caught somewhere you could make it back. Lakes, rivers, inside waters will be perfect for a Lund. In 80's in the town I grew up in everyone owned the same boat, 16 ft Lund with a 35 hp Johnson and a 6 hp Johnson kicker. A lot of those boats are still being used today.

If the rivets worry you, a comparable boat would be the Crestliner. They are welded and can take a serious beating. The bow is a little higher and the stern still has a slight v bottom unlike the lund that turns into a flat bottom about half way. I've run both the 16 ft and 18 ft models. The 18 ft with a 40 hp is a pretty sweet boat.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I have not owned a Lund, but did have an 18 foot Klamath. If you can scrape together the extra cash, jump up to an 18 footer. There is a huge difference in ride between the two sizes. I agree with AKBoater. The 18 foot lund with a 40 horse would be a great boat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I liked the 18 ft Crestliner with the 40 better. But it's amazing the difference between a 16 ft and 18 ft model of any open skiff.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Lund makes a great boat as evidenced by how many are still out there running around.I will make a few comments for you to take as you will.
    1st--Safety===if you plan on taking little ones out on the water have all the required safety gear aboard and make sure everyone uses it.Alaska's water is great but very unforgiving if you get caught with your pants down.If you spend enough time on the water,it won't be a question of if you have an incident,just a question of when.So be prepared.....
    2nd--Comfort===I'll make an assumption here that one of the 2 adults might be your spouse.Think about how tolerant all your passengers will be on those cold rainy days that sometimes face us here.It is really nice to have some protection from the elements while on the water.Even a soft top is better than no top.Side curtains and a back dropper just make it that much more protected.What is your passengers comfort level ?
    3rd --Easy to use=====With 4 people aboard will it get a little crowded if you have 4 lines in the water?Where are you gonna put all your extra stuff;ice chests,tackle boxes,food,etc. ?As others have already said bigger is better for comfort,safety,and all around best performance.If you can make it happen my thoughts are to go a little bigger,you'll be glad you did !!!!!!!

I own a 16ft North River. I agree with everyone else--if you can afford it, go with the 18ft. I would have, but storage space was an issue at the time, which limited me to the 16ft.

I once rented an 18ft Crestliner, and that is a really nice riding boat.

Ruger01, did you rent that boat in Petersburg?

Thanks great info. The 16 is already an upgrade from a 14. Love an 18 but not in the cards. The boat I'm looking at is virtually new used only a handful of times for $5500 include trailer and 40hp yamaha 2 stroke. Motor is 2002 boat and trailer are 2007.

Does that sound like a decent deal? I'm moving up from a small freighter canoe so no experience with these boats.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Ruger01, did you rent that boat in Petersburg?
    No, I rented it in Juneau. Nice boat.

That is a good one. My good buddy Jake runs that business for his folks. I used to run the boat rentals down in Petersburg, we had 3, 18 ft crestliners with 40hp. The nice thing about Jake's is the steering console.

Canuck, In 2008 I got second place in the Petersburg salmon derby, one of the non-cash prizes was a 16 ft Lund, just the boat, no motors, valued at $4400. Second place was $3500 so they offered my the boat first. That's just to give you an idea of the cost of a new 16 ft. I general that sounds like a pretty fair deal. We sold two of our rental boats, 16 ft cresliners with 25 hp yamaha 4-stroke and a 4 hp 4 stroke kicker and the trailer after 3 years of moderate rental use for $6000 a piece.

In the end a 16 ft skiff is the perfect boat to start with.

Thanks. Do you think the 16' can handle a 3ft chop safely? Or will it be totally uncomfortable in those conditions?

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I've used a lot of Lund boats back in Minnesota and Wisconsin, not to mention some Canadian lakes. They're great boats. In a 3' chop it definitely won't be fun, but if the boat is loaded properly and your boat handling skills are good you won't have any problems. I've used the 16' for my family; me, spouse, two kids and thought there was plenty of room. When it got rough I had everyone sit in the bottom of the boat, which made the boat more stable and reduced the chance of one of the kids falling over the side. If you're in lakes and inlets, it should be no problem.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    Thanks. Do you think the 16' can handle a 3ft chop safely? Or will it be totally uncomfortable in those conditions?
    Being in a true 3 foot chop in a 16 foot open skiff would suck!!!! Is it safe? I suppose that's debatable. If you could eliminate all other variables, such as other boat traffic/wakes, wind, confused seas etc., I suppose you could find a way to stay afloat. Call me a wuss if you want, but I wouldn't ever "plan" to be in 3 foot seas in a 16 foot skiff. I'm sure there are folks on here who have done it, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Up until about 1990 Everyone through out AK owned a 16' Lund. They are still great boats. And I agree 18' is better but 16' is still good. My good friend recently bought a 16SSV and runs from Juneau to Admiralty with 4 (Wife + 2 girls age 4-8) he uses a two stroke 40HP Mariner. HE liked the 16' over the 18' cause he beaches his boat every time he uses it. I also like the Crestliner Sportsmen 16 and 18 which have higher sides and cut through the chop a little better.

Do not be concerned with the rivits you can patch them easily and cheaply with that epoxy and torch stuff cabelas sells. Even when they leak you just gotta deal with packing in drybags or totes. It rains here in AK and you are in an open skiff.

Sobie2

Thanks very helpful. Don't ever plan to be in those conditions but on rare occasions the areas we will be in will blow up and you can get 3 ft chop. Just seeing if the boat would get us home everything else being equal.

I'll watch the forecasts and the weather and plan accordingly.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    Thanks very helpful. Don't ever plan to be in those conditions but on rare occasions the areas we will be in will blow up and you can get 3 ft chop. Just seeing if the boat would get us home everything else being equal.

I'll watch the forecasts and the weather and plan accordingly.
    Roger that. In Ressurection Bay, even on nice days with flat water outside of Caines Head, the trip in to the harbor in the afternoon gets pretty sloppy. The waves stack up, with very narrow troughs, then factor in the wakes from the tour boats etc. Not a place to be in a small boat.

Thanks all - I bought the boat. First boat for me other than a freighter canoe.

It looks great looking forward to getting out on the water.

How's the boat? Considering the time of year, able to take it out anywhere?
    I'm considering a 16' Lund purchase myself; a little older than yours I think (just a plain 16') with a very new ('09 25 hp 4stroke Merc) motor. It's also got a great trailer (little overkill as the trailer has tandem axles) but all galvanized and setup for the boat.
    My primary purpose/use is for the Kenai river so the 4stroke is a must for me. Thinking the 25 is a little light, but Lunds seem to be light boats and have had a 16' Alumaweld xtreme w/25 4stroke Yamaha on it; got passed on the river regularly but was awesome on fuel.
    May try to find a small kicker for it for inshore saltwater use (kicking around Homer/Seward); maybe a 4-6 hp.
    All this boat talk getting me excited!
    Jim

Haven't had it out yet. Everything I've read said the 25 is too small for the boat as it is rated for 40hp. A couple of guys and gear and the 25 gets old fast from what I understand. I think you'd be maxing out that 25hp all the time so it may not last as long as a 40.

hmmmmm, food for thought. The guy who has it said it's pretty adequate; spent last summer dipnetting on the Kenai but I agree that 25 may be minimum but for the price & virtually new motor, hard to beat.
    Based on my past experience with our xtreme, I've had 4 guys on it with the 25 yamaha, got it on plane, although slowly (upstream) and was okay; 2 guys was pretty good. If I want the deal I'll have to compromise and for my intended use on the river with 1-3 guys I think it'll be alright although I wish it had more ponies.
    Unless I'm up there looking all over (which I'm not); it's hard to find a relatively priced river boat w/4stroke. Would absolutely love to find a 18' bayrunner/klamath with 50 but they're hard to come by, 18' Lund would be great too. I'll be up in spring looking around and maybe a better deal may come along, otherwise thinking I'll go with the current deal, always easy to sell these boats later.
    Good luck with yours and please post how you like it, performance, etc.
    happy new year-Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast