Thread: Getting into kayak fishing.

Default Getting into kayak fishing.

My wife and I are looking into getting some kayaks for exploring and fishing. I hear that Hobie is good, but WOW the price is a bit much. Also I hear Wilderness Systems Tarpons are good but still a bit out of our price range. So what about a Pelican Castaway 116? Anyone have any experience with these? I know you get what you pay for, but would these be a good kayak to get our feet wet in this sport? Anyone have any other kayaks they could recommend in the $500 price range?
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

They make some really good inflatables but i still don't feel comfortable with them. Something about hooks and inflatables just doesn't seem to go together.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

067.jpgTake a look a Cabelas small boat selection.They list 32 small craft with most of them under $1000.Some of their models are made for fishing and have some really nice features.Plus the plastic models are pretty bullet-proof.Stay away from blow up boats unless you plan on float trips off the road system.
    Fishing from a kayak is a blast...take the plunge...and have a blast.I've een fishing out of a kayak for over 20 years and can say it's a great way to get on the water.
    Mark

I'm in a bit warmer waters, but the idea is the same.

I've gotten stuck on Native Water Craft (www.nativewatercraft.com) and they are a tough boat but you can't get into a new one for $500. I have a Manta Ray 14 and an Ultimate 12, both very stable and work well for fishing but are not really fast boats...doesn'[t mater unlesss you want to go long distances. The Ultimate is stable enough to stand in to fly fish if you are careful and both work fine for fly fishing sitting down.

The reason like the Native Water Craft so much is the seats....most compfortable you can find IMHO. I still have two other sit on tops and one sit inside that have molded seats and I keep them for my kids, but once you have sat in the NWC seats you will never go back to molded seats with pads...their seatrs are are wonderful!! And...you can take them out of the baot and use them for a beach or camp chair if you are camping along the way or just taking a break.

I have also set up my Manta Ray to take a 28 pound thrust electric motor using two garden tractor batterys and I can run 3 hours on them before I need a charge. I use one to go out and the other to return. I hurt my shoulder last summer and it was the easiest way for me to stay on the water since I could not paddle too well.

I don't know what the used market is up there, but you can frequently find fairly high end boats for good prices from folks who buy them then don't like the sport. I got my manta ray in a trade for a $200 jon boat that I seldom used. I wish I had been into kayak fishing when I live in Homer. I have also been know to set a couple crab traps and fish for awhile then check the traps on the way back in. Some times I can get enough crab for some crab dip with the fish.

Just do it and wear a dry or semi-dry suit under your PFD and you can go out in really cold weather as long as you stay dry!! It's 22F here and I'm thinking about doing some fishing tomorrow on one of our rivers if I can escape the seasonal paint and Christmas decoration party my wife has planned.....we'll see how that works out.

Joe

I have a Malibu-X sit on top. Works great as long as you don't plan on paddling 10 miles in a day. It's only 9 ft long so I can take it out even with my 2 door honda civic. I think retail is $500-$600 though I haven't seen a dealer in Alaska.

It works great on lakes and I have had no real problems taking it out in Whittier. Its a great kayak when you are headed out alone since its so small and portable. But after a single season with it, I really enjoy the fishing in the Ocean and I am tempted to move up to a 13 foot Ocean Kayak prowler.

I will be checking the after Christmas sales... I remember Cabelas had the Malibu Two XL Angler Kayak (regularly over $1,000) pre Thanksgiving sale for $745.00... I wish I had jumped on it... although I the Native Watercraft products look nice. I like the option of tandem... & for ocean fishing...

great thread thanks

I have to remind myself that you can't take the kitchen sink with you when you kayak and fish..
    unless your Nanook of the north
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cob7r...eature=related

I am always trying to haul to much stuff and so that makes me want a bigger kayak with more straps and holders and the list goes on.
    Finding that you can use almost any kayak that is sea worthy to fish from..
    I would like a hobie...though...
    Santa????
    http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/pro-angler/

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

we have two yaks, a Tarpon 120 with a rudder and a Malibu Mini X, both very good yaks, but dollar for dollar, you cannot go wrong with the Mini X. built very strong and will outlast you, i dont care how hard you fish. the pelicans are not rotomolded, will not last. IMHO they are good pool toys and that is all.

I am very partial to the Wilderness Systems myself. The wife and I have a 12' Pungo each and I also have a 15' Pamlico. These are perfect all purpose boats for mild rivers, lakes, bays, etc.. You might try looking for some used ones. Many folks buy kayaks and then decide to sell them as they don't get used much. Winter time might be a great time to pick up some used ones cheap.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Heritage Redfish, WS Tarpon, and Native Manta Rays are all very similar kayaks. I have the 14.5 manta and the tarpon 100. The tarpon is more comfortable IMO, but the manta has more flat places to mount stuff. The entry angles at the bow are similar on those 10' and 12' kayaks. The 14 footers have a sharper entry and I think that helps with the speed.

I have a Dagger Axis 12 picked out that I think will be awesome fishing platform for both river and salt. now I just need to get in shape enough to use it