Thread: Tent Lantern

Default Tent Lantern

What do you guys recommend for a good tent lantern. Regular gas one or a new LED one.

One of each. I like the led at nite for quick lite for camp intruders and the gas lite for poker in the tent if it's raining. Led lanterns will run for days on one set of batteries also. JMO
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

wich Led lantern do you have. I was looking at alot of customer reviews for various models. Couldnt decide which on was best. Some seemed to be dim, others bright but put the light in weird places.

I was thinking of getting the Coleman Dual fuel 2000 for a gas lantern to use. It can use Unleaded, that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    wich Led lantern do you have. I was looking at alot of customer reviews for various models. Couldnt decide which on was best. Some seemed to be dim, others bright but put the light in weird places.

I was thinking of getting the Coleman Dual fuel 2000 for a gas lantern to use. It can use Unleaded, that would be nice.
    You had to ask that......lol
    Not sure, but I think it's a coleman also. Has an adjustable beam and a handle you can either hang it with or prop it with on a table. Gives off plenty of lite at nite in the tent. Uses 4 AA batteries and runs for ever it seems.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Snow Peak makes both. They have a nice full size white gas lantern and an nice led balllight with a hook.

Depends on what you want the lantern for. If it's just light, an LED will do just fine.

If you want to use it as a heat source in addition to light it priovides, I recommend the Brunton Lucy. It runs on isobutane canisters, has electric start, throws the equivilent to 60 watts of light and enough heat to knock off chill and dampness from a small 2-3 man tent......maybe even larger.

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=9899

I got mine from Campmor, but it appears they aren't listing them at the moment.

However Sierra Trading Post does. Unfortunately they're sold out.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1...-Lantern-.html

http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Lucy-C.../dp/B000FKMTJA

http://alaskaraftandkayak.com/store/...ern-p-406.html
    Now what ?

I want the lantern for my Bighorn tent. Just want the light benefit. But that heating type lamp might be a good idea for my 3 man tent when I need to pack lighter. Thanks for the suggestion guys.

I use the biggest gas latern I can find which is currently a 2 mantle dual fuel Coleman. The heat it generates would keep out 10 foot AO
    toasty down to about 20 degrees. In the Artika it will keep it fairly warm down to about 30 degrees.
    Nice to let it run while we fall asleep after insuring the tent is vented properly. But plan on picking up an LED for those times you want light fast or more light in the tent.
    Tennessee

You want light and heat? Check out coleman's Northstar. Matchless ignition, single tube shape mantle, super bright on high setting, steel cage around glass. I've used the two mantle colemans for ever and decided to get a northstar after seeing it in action. I run it about half throttle in an artika or 12x14 wall tent and have plenty of light. If I want daylight I turn it up. It does use the fuel when wide open but so far not an issue for me. I like light when I need it and don't have long hair (chuckle), so I don't have a battery powered lantern.

If you want a high quality led lantern, look at the new offerings from Black Diamond. We got three of them in assorted sizes and they are great. The largest one kept our cabin in SE lit up for 4 days on one set (4D) of batteries back in early May. That was the first time we used it and we were impressed. The smaller ones are great too and last a long time. Suitable for backpacking and such. The large one puts off some serious light. Maybe a bit much for a tent. We got ours from Campmor if I recall. REI and similar places will sell them also.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I second that- I just got a Black Diamond Apollo Lantern off of Steepandcheap for $29.95 and love it. It's extremely bright, and you can adjust the beam down to very dim for a night-light setting. It's got a d-ring on top so you can hang it from a tent roof or limb, and it's got wide feet so you can set it on the ground.

Steepandcheap has been selling another model Black Diamond also, a little smaller unit. I see these on there just about every day right now.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    ...I was thinking of getting the Coleman Dual fuel 2000 for a gas lantern to use. It can use Unleaded, that would be nice.
    It's my understanding that unleaded fuel can be used in all Colemanís liquid fueled stuff. All of my Coleman lamps and cook stoves are older but I run unleaded fuel in all of it.

Here you go and free shipping to Alaska to boot:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Should be here in a week. l
    Tennessee

+1 on the black diamond's. I have the large one and it throws a ton of light (enough to dress a moose by) and a burn time of about 20 hours on a set of batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Here you go and free shipping to Alaska to boot:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Should be here in a week. l
    Big disappointment. With 8 new batteries this latern didnt seem to put out much light at all. With 390 lumens was expecting it to put out more light than my dual mantle gas latern, which it clearly did not. Thank heavens Amazon has free shipping for this item to me and back.
    Thumbs down.
    Tennessee