Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: How big is he?

  1. #1
    Member alaskankid13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    anchorage,ak
    Posts
    473

    Default How big is he?

    Here's a moose I got quite a few shots of. Just wondering how big you think he is measuring out to?moose 045.jpgmoosen 022.jpg

  2. #2
    Moderator AKmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,185

    Default

    I'm surprised he doesn't have more for brow tines.... With his antlers laid out flat like that I would guess he is pushing 60".
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg


    The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    194

    Default

    very cool pics man! great shot from front and back, Im gana guess 58-60

  4. #4
    Member rimfirematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Id say he is a solid 60, maybe a tad more. Old guy I think too. Probably past his prime.

    When did you take these pictures?

  5. #5
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Nice bull, I would put him right at 60", with an inch either way.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  6. #6
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    like everyone else, easy 57 and most likely 60.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  7. #7

    Default

    Gotta go with the concensus....pushing 60". Very good photography, I might add.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member sheep man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    wasilla, gods country
    Posts
    527

    Default

    he's under 55''
    I ♥ Big Sheep

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    I think 58" also. Nice looking bull.

  10. #10
    Member rimfirematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    58" no more, no less. Not past his prime either, he made some gains from last years antlers.
    how do you tell that?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    376

    Default

    he is exactly 56"

  12. #12

    Default

    Somewhere around 58"

  13. #13
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    With about seven inches between the hornes, which is conservative, he will go a solid 65 inches + outside spread...

    ...Powerline Pass, upper hillside east of Anchorage, in September....

    This guy was not the biggest bull out there this year.

    dennis

  14. #14
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    61" and a nice bull but definatly not past prime he still has good points all the way up. In my experience the tops of the palms start to loose points and the horns get distorted on the older bulls.
    This guy looks tame since it looks like you were close enough to get it with the flash just walk up and measure it and get back to us with the actual spread

  15. #15
    Member big_dog60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    between wasilla and palmer
    Posts
    1,061

    Default

    he is close to 60 inches.

  16. #16

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    With about seven inches between the hornes, which is conservative, he will go a solid 65 inches + outside spread...

    ...Powerline Pass, upper hillside east of Anchorage, in September....

    This guy was not the biggest bull out there this year.

    dennis
    What I was thinking, just wasn't sure.
    It would sure be a great place to go looking for Sheds. Especially if a guy just wanted to get out, get some exercise and some antlers to boot. It is getting about time to see where they are hanging out and then gather up the Sheds when they start dropping. NOW is the time.!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17

    Default

    Some of you would be dissapointed with your ground shrinkage if you had shot that bull!

  18. #18
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Some of you would be dissapointed with your ground shrinkage if you had shot that bull!
    Only if he wouldn't fill my freezer, which I have no doubt he would.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Only if he wouldn't fill my freezer, which I have no doubt he would.
    Point taken!

  20. #20
    Member alaskankid13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    anchorage,ak
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Here are a few more of the same bull. Could post a few other pictures of other bulls to, but judging spreads on those ones are a bit harder.Attachment 42728Attachment 42729

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •