Thread: Stupid Question

Default Stupid Question

Where is the best place to shoot your catch so it doesn't mess up the fur... the head???

In one ear and out the other with a 22 if ya can would be my choice. Trick is to get em to give you that perfect shot...............lol
    Fox in a leg trap I just grab em by the tail and back of the neck and put a knee on the chest to suffocate em. Works most the time as they try to run from you rather than face you. Now a wolf is a different story. I be shootin them.....lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Yes, the head or vitals with a FMJ .22.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Yes, the head or vitals with a FMJ .22.
    Yes, definately not a hollow point.

thanks for the info... I am using a 22... but won't the vitals mess up the fur

Quote Originally Posted by rock2382 View Post
    Most trapping I did was many years ago in MN when I was young. If you gotta shoot it, I'd do the head shot as first choice. Vitals with a Full Metal Jacket bullet may or may not be a good shot. If you hit bone, then anything can happen on the other side. Heck, most the time they are trying to get away from you in the trap. Shootem straight up the butt hole. No extra hole that way.......lol

A hole in the head is harder to cover than a whole in the chest. Plus a hole in the skull means you can't sell it. From personal experience a 36gr golden bullet by remington which is hollow point did just fine.

what usualy do is get 22 shorts and let the animal bite the barrel and then theres no holes works good

Where is the best place to shoot your catch so it doesn't mess up the fur... the head???
    If you don't HAVE to shoot to dispatch, then don't. Get a catch pole (or a snare on a stick).

If you HAVE to shoot, then get .22 shorts and shoot behind the shoulder. Small hole, no exit, they'll expire. Very little blood, keeps the skull intact for resale, AND the tiny whole is usually real close to the armpit incision when skinning.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

2 words - NEEDLE/THREAD.
    Gary

You guys mention selling the skulls. Who buys them and what kind of prices do skulls fetch? I usually get some Fox and Coyote skulls with an occasional Lynx that I'd sell. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    You guys mention selling the skulls. Who buys them and what kind of prices do skulls fetch? I usually get some Fox and Coyote skulls with an occasional Lynx that I'd sell. Thanks.
    Taxidermy.net Problem is the market is FLOODED with fox and coyotes. Still can usually lump a lot together and sell for $1-2 a piece (it's better than nothing). Lynx go for $5-10. Wolf and Wolverine are in high demand ($50 on up).
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Good information to know, thanks Alaskan22, I appreciate it.

+1 for no head shots because, as previously stated, you can sell the skull. If you don't want to sell the skull you can always clean it and start a collection.
    Thank you, God, for making so many wonderful creatures. Thank you, not only for that, but also for making them out of meat!

I had a fox in one of my snares around the neck on friday, Only problem was it was still alive and all twisted up around a willow bush and under a spruce branch.. Everytime I would go to one side, he would pull to the other about 3-4", just enough where I couldnt get a choke pole on it.. nor bonk it on the head... finally I backed up 40 yards and shot it with my 12 ga with number 2 steel shot.. left 8 bb size holes in his side...From then on I take the .17 with..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I had a fox in one of my snares around the neck on friday, Only problem was it was still alive and all twisted up around a willow bush and under a spruce branch.. Everytime I would go to one side, he would pull to the other about 3-4", just enough where I couldnt get a choke pole on it.. nor bonk it on the head... finally I backed up 40 yards and shot it with my 12 ga with number 2 steel shot.. left 8 bb size holes in his side...From then on I take the .17 with..
    I heard that 17's wreck more stuff than a 22. Might wanna stay with 22 shorts.

Only .22 short I have is my old great grandfathers Winchester 1898 with the octagon barrel, probably take the .22 from now on...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Only .22 short I have is my old great grandfathers Winchester 1898 with the octagon barrel, probably take the .22 from now on...
    Cool gun.........

carry along a fish bonker. bonk em, and stand on the vitals for a min. works with everything.