Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Meat

Default Coyote Meat

I recently just shot a coyote and am really considering trying the meat. I've always lived by the rule that I should eat what I shoot, but am kind of hesitant in this case.
    Has anyone had the opportunity to give it a try, and if so how was it? How did you prepare it?
    I suppose if it tastes pretty nasty, I'll either give it to the zoo or put it in my bait station next spring.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    I recently just shot a coyote and am really considering trying the meat. I've always lived by the rule that I should eat what I shoot, but am kind of hesitant in this case.
    Has anyone had the opportunity to give it a try, and if so how was it? How did you prepare it?
    I suppose if it tastes pretty nasty, I'll either give it to the zoo or put it in my bait station next spring.
    You can eat anything...it just depends on how hungry you are. If you do try it, be sure to cook it thoroughly!!!!!!

i have seen one recipe for coyote, adapted from a korean recipe for dog meant to be served as a wedding feast.
    i have no idea if it was/is considered tasty.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Sounds like you'll try anything, ONCE!!!

Yeah, let us know how that works out for ya? Lol
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Anything is edible with enough catsup... or soy sauce. Heck you've probably eaten coyote (or dog) at a local Chinese restaurant and didn't even know it.

But trust me: don't try sea otter or fox.

I heard it tastes like chicken
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

My dad hunted with a guy once that lived by the eat what u kill so he cooked it up in camp tried it and vowed to never shoot a coyote again. I'm pretty sure the smell ruined that camp spot too. Let us know how it goes

Get the meat made into Hot-Dogs!

Wolf is great, but I've never tried 'yote. One of my hunting buddies back in college said he ate coyote once and it was horrible. Considering that their diet is mostly rodents and scavenge leftovers I've got to imagine my friend was right.

I have boiled meat off of coyote skulls before and the smell was rank and I was glad I had used the outside grill. Never at it....maybe use a ton of barbeque sauce....

Isn't coyote one that you clean thoroughly, soak in buttermilk, season heavily,cook on a cedar plank...
    Then through the meat away and eat the plank???

I have watched as other yotes ate their breathern and yet the ravens passed. That right there told me all I ever needed to know about trying it myself. I don't even think blow flies will light on a yote carcass. I have seen them mumified at spring thaw, nothing ate on them all winter. Even the shrews will only go inside and eat the belly contents and leave the remainder. Shootfire, I won't even bite my fingernails after skinning one, til I wash up.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

ok I'll bite why no fox or sea otter, I can guess but I am curious?
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Isn't coyote one that you clean thoroughly, soak in buttermilk, season heavily,cook on a cedar plank...
    Then through the meat away and eat the plank???
    Yeah the plank taste perty good.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Just a curious question after all these comments here: Do you still wanna eat Coyote?.......
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Haha. No not really. Its not sounding too appetizing. I think the meat will most likely go to the zoo depository. Or...I can serve it at the family Christmas party...

Haha. No not really. Its not sounding too appetizing. I think the meat will most likely go to the zoo depository. Or...I can serve it at the family Christmas party...

I highly doubt the zoo will take it. They won't even take any meat or fish that has freezer burn or is more than two years old. Darn hillside critters are spoiled!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

not I they go to the local cadabber pile. I will eat a lynx when I get the chance to try but coyote and griz forget that!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    not I they go to the local cadabber pile. I will eat a lynx when I get the chance to try but coyote and griz forget that!
    If you ever shoot a grizzly that's been in the berries and away from a lot of fish, try it. We did and even my 16 year old daughter loved it. We took the backstraps and cooked them up that night, some of the best meat I have ever had out there. Try it, you'll be surprised.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast