Thread: Equipment Question

Default Equipment Question

I just finished up grad school, and I'll probably be moving to Anchorage. I'm wondering what fishing equipment to bring. I have ice gear (for walleye, pike, perch, panfish, ect)...it's all from Thorne Brother's, so it's good stuff and I'm hoping I can use it. I also have a mountain of soft water bass, walleye, pike, panfish, and trout. I don't want to take anything I won't ever use, so what would be a good set up (fly fishing too) for around Anchorage? I've lived all over, so I have everything ranging from paddlefish snagging gear to center pin fishing gear.

Thanks!

Well first off congrats on finishing up school and Alaska is crowded are you sure you wish to move to Alaska? Ok if you are set on moving to Los-Anchorage:

Your Ice fishing gear is fine for up here as well. Trout in the local lakes would be similar to fishing Perch and Walleye that is the Bow's and Char in the lakes. Not a lot of Pike options unless you cross the inlet which in that case bring your Pike Gear tons of Pike remote but they are there. I suppose one could use tear drops for trout but standrd B-gill stuff is really IMO not an option for Alaksa.

Fly Fishing Grayling 7ft 3W is fine if your looking to have a multi use fly rod go to an 8ft 6" 4 W or 9ft 4W as long as your not pounding Bows in the 8-10 lbs range you will be fine with a 4W. if you opt to fish lakes I would go 9ft 4W.

If you plan on fishing the Russian and Kenai for Bows and Reds and do a little Pink and Silver fishing the standard answer would be 9ft 7W or 9ft 6in 7W. That will put you in the mix for fishing the Valley Streams as well for, Chum, Pinks, and Silvers.

Center Pin is used by lots of people these days as well as Spey. Sounds like you are ready to fish in the state for the most part.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes as well as Congrats again on completing your school

Blue Moose

Moose hit it on the head.
    I think you will be able to use most if not all of your gear in AK, even the paddle fish stuff could be used for halibut or rock fish in the ocean. Definately bring your fly and center pin gear.

Moose is right. You should move to Fairbanks or Yellowknife.

Thanks! That makes me happy I can probably use my paddlefish rod. It makes me smile every time I see it. Most of the time I get pretty nice fishing stuff because I go a lot and I don't like things to break. I was in the bargain bin at a Cabelas in Nebraska, and they had a Penn 950 for $35! I snatched it up and slapped it on the biggest, ugliest, cheapest catfish rod I could find. It's the definition of overkill for how I use it.

Another question. Would I have a use for my flathead rods? They're 9 or 10 ft tiger ugly sticks with big abu garcia baitcasters that have a bait clicker. I use them for big catfish where I don't have to cast very far (less than 50 yards). I run 50lb mono on them. I could see using them as a boat rod, but I won't have a boat, and don't plan on getting one. Thanks for all the responses so far. I really have no idea what to expect if I move up there.

You can't live in Alaska without a boat!!!!
    In fact you really need several!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I have 3!!!! ...........

Drift, lake, and raft!!! ooops!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

ajb05854,
    Bring all your gear up.When you get here you will figure out what works and what doesn't for the many different species available here in Alaska.When I moved up here from Washington I brought up 19 poles,2 kayaks,and a mini-driftboat.But of course have gotten several more poles since then as well as a couple of other boats.If you find that you are not using certain gear you can always have your own garage sale later.
    I don't think you can have too many poles cause there is a lot of variety of fish to be persued up here.We all have our favorite gear that we don't want to part with and if you keep an open mind and eye out you will undoubtably find some new favorites that you just gotta have.
    Any one disagree with that train of thought ?

Quote Originally Posted by ajb05854 View Post
    Thanks! That makes me happy I can probably use my paddlefish rod. It makes me smile every time I see it. Most of the time I get pretty nice fishing stuff because I go a lot and I don't like things to break. I was in the bargain bin at a Cabelas in Nebraska, and they had a Penn 950 for $35! I snatched it up and slapped it on the biggest, ugliest, cheapest catfish rod I could find. It's the definition of overkill for how I use it.

Another question. Would I have a use for my flathead rods? They're 9 or 10 ft tiger ugly sticks with big abu garcia baitcasters that have a bait clicker. I use them for big catfish where I don't have to cast very far (less than 50 yards). I run 50lb mono on them. I could see using them as a boat rod, but I won't have a boat, and don't plan on getting one. Thanks for all the responses so far. I really have no idea what to expect if I move up there.
    If you bank fish for kings, you will want to use that rod.........though 50lb mono might be a bit heavy unless your on the Kenai.

One of my best fishing memories is a couple of guys from Minnesota showing up on a remote king salmon river. They said they didn't know what to bring, so they didn't buy a thing. They just brought their muskey rods and tackle boxes of muskey and pike lures.

I'd never seen most of it before, but some of their spinner baits looked kinda interesting. Their short, stiff muskey rods looked even better. I suggested they just go ahead and fish it, starting with the spinner baits cast upstream and reeled back along the bottom.

I gotta say, when my friends and I came home, we were all looking for sources of muskey spinner baits. Those guys pinned back our ears! Holy cow. I've never seen such a fishing demonstration by newcomers or most old timers. They were great fishermen in the first place, but they pretty well confirmed that a lure doesn't have to say king salmon on the package to be a good producer. While we were at it, we all stocked up on muskey rods, too.

Bring it all ajb05854. More will work than you can guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I thought it was a requirement now