Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Beginner Questions

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default Beginner Questions

    I just finished up grad school and it looks like I'll probably be moving from Anchorage. I'm from the lower 48. Is their any surf or inshore fishing around that area? I'm just wondering because I'm a little limited on space for the move and want to maximize the equipment I bring.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member FishKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajb05854 View Post
    I just finished up grad school and it looks like I'll probably be moving from Anchorage. I'm from the lower 48. Is their any surf or inshore fishing around that area? I'm just wondering because I'm a little limited on space for the move and want to maximize the equipment I bring.

    Thanks!
    Sell all your fishing gear and when you arrive, go to yard sales, this forum, and Alaskalist to find the equipement you will need. Fishing here is different then the lower 48 and most of your tackle you have will not last, too lite.
    Just from my experience.

  3. #3
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Where ya com'in from and depends on what type of gear you have? I'd bet lots of it could be used here. Give us a idea of what you've got and let some of the fine members here cull through it then you'll have a better idea of what to bring. Just about no surf fishing except for a few guys that fish down in the Homer area.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  4. #4
    Member NeverLand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year
    Posts
    216

    Default

    When I sold my boat on Chesapeake Bay and bought one in Alaska I kept all my striper fishing tackle. It works great on rockfish and ling. I also had a box full of old salmon fishing gear that I used in Washington state. It works very well in Alaska, although most of it I don't really need. Most of the time I can catch all the silvers I want without using flashers and dodgers. I agree with potbuilder, I bet a lot of it could be used in Alaska. Just we wary of anyone who tells you it's no good, and then offers to take it off of your hands.

  5. #5

    Default

    I agree with potbuilder and neverland. I used to surf fish on Cape Cod a lot and it would be totally appropriate for surf fishing off the beach along the Anchor/Deep Creek area. I'd let people know what you've got and go through the info you get here for what you should keep or get rid of.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I'm coming from the great plains, but I have a saltwater gear I used on trips. It sounds like I'll bring my rods (an inshore spinning rod and a surf casting rod), but leave most of the lures at home. Most of the lures I have are specific for fishing in Florida and Mexico. Thanks for the information!

  7. #7
    Member oldmil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I agree with potbuilder and neverland. I used to surf fish on Cape Cod a lot and it would be totally appropriate for surf fishing off the beach along the Anchor/Deep Creek area. I'd let people know what you've got and go through the info you get here for what you should keep or get rid of.
    Good info Dave, thanks for the tip. We'll be staying in Anchor Point for about 9 days the tail end of next July. What species of fish might likely be within casting distance of the beach then?

    Thanks, Jay

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldmil007 View Post
    Good info Dave, thanks for the tip. We'll be staying in Anchor Point for about 9 days the tail end of next July. What species of fish might likely be within casting distance of the beach then?

    Thanks, Jay
    I'VE never done it, but have always wanted to, but if the tide is right you can catch kings AND halibut from shore. On big tidal swing days the water gets relatively deep close to shore when the tide is at its highest and often times you'll find kings cruising within 100 ft. of shore feeding on bait fish at high tide. I have caught a couple of very nice kings only 20 ft. or so from where the waves were breaking on the beach. You could see the flash of silver as the kings were rolling in the breakers gorging on bait fish. It was REALLY cool to see. Halibut are foragers, too, so when there is a lot of bait in close it will draw in some very decent halibut close to shore, too. I caught a 70 lb. halibut once trolling less than 100 yards from shore right off of Whiskey Gulch. And I hear of other people catching nice halibut pretty close in all the time, too.

    But when the tide is out, and especially when it is very low, the beach configuration in that area is such that to get to water that's deep enough for the fish to hang out in you have to get quite a ways out and typically much further than you could cast a rod from shore.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •