Thread: Lemi Shine for case cleaning

Default Lemi Shine for case cleaning

After hearing about it from a shooter at the range and a little research on other forums I picked up some of the Lemi Shine dishwashing additive at WalMart. Lemi Shine is citrus acid based powder sold at Wallymart and other stores along with the dishwashing machine powdered soaps. It is sold as a hard water treatment to remove deposits from dishes and dishwashers. Web site is www.lemishine.com

While I've tried a lot of stuff over my many years of reloading I've have to say this stuff is really the best bang for the buck! While it won't polish cases it will really shine up newer ones and clean and brightened up heavily discolored ones.

It is not a soap so grease and oils need to be removed first. A little of the stuff goes a long way; I used a table spoon in a quart of water. I mixed it up in hot water but it still worked fine after the solution reached room temerature. It works pretty quick - don't leave the cases in too long or they will take on a copper hue.

In an ultrasonic cleaner it helded brightened and clean the cases really well. I've recommended ultrasonic cleaners before; the Lemi Shine makes them work even better.

A search on the web will yield a lot more info on using this stuff. I hadn't seen it mentioned here so I thought I would post my results. If this is a repeat in the subject please forgive me - I tried to do a search with no results.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

takes the rust right off stuff(and bluing) I got some dies on evil bay that had surface rust on them. Soaked in Lemishine and water and the cleaned right up.They were stained and discolored but no rust. Dried and oiled up and they worked just fine. Biodegradable and not toxic.!2 oz container of lemishine at wall mart about 4.50. It comes in a crystal powder type stuff ow ya know.

A lot of new products hit the market and get put to the test by guy's like us. I was wondering about the chemical response to the brass. Some products can weaken or etch the brass so I inquired with Lemi Shine directly.

Their response is below and somewhat positive.

Mark,

Thank you for your email. I wanted to let you know that we have not formally tested using Lemi Shine to clean brass in an ultra sonic cleaner, but Lemi Shine should not damage or weaken the brass. Use at your own risk. If you have any further questions, please let me know. We truly appreciate your business and support. Have a terrific Tuesday and a Merry Christmas.

Sincerely,

Default No danger to brass

The citric acid and oils in Lemi Clean is not inherently harmful to brass but may lightly etch the surface if you leave it in too long. The stuff works quickly even in weak cold solutions so you have to keep your eye on it or you will get copper colored brass. Even at that I think you would need to leave it in the solution for days to do any real damage.

I only added a spoonfull to 5 gallons of water in my ultrasonic cleaner and it appeared to make a difference. I'll add more when I run another batch thru this afternoon.

Ammonia based products are the real danger to brass carridges - they will hardened the brass and make it unuseable even in small concentrations.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    A lot of new products hit the market and get put to the test by guy's like us. I was wondering about the chemical response to the brass. Some products can weaken or etch the brass so I inquired with Lemi Shine directly.

Their response is below and somewhat positive.

Mark,

Thank you for your email. I wanted to let you know that we have not formally tested using Lemi Shine to clean brass in an ultra sonic cleaner, but Lemi Shine should not damage or weaken the brass. Use at your own risk. If you have any further questions, please let me know. We truly appreciate your business and support. Have a terrific Tuesday and a Merry Christmas.

Sincerely,

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

As I get older it takes something really special to impress me. Last night I tried the Lemi Shine again in my ultrasonic cleaner only this time I added about a quarter cup to 6 - 7 gallons of water and several squirts of dishwashing detergent. I had only added a few tablespoons of Lemi Shine before going on the manufacturer's recommendations for dishwashing. The cases came out bright and clean but it took a hour or more to achieve results and the cleaning but a bit spotty - all the primer pockets weren't always clean.

WOW - last night I was impressed big time! The grungy cases were clean and bright in minutes instead of hours. "Clean" means primer pockets and the inside of the cases as well as all the powder stains and residue on the outside of the cases - most of the cases had been fired with cast bullet loads. I had also sized all of the cases prior to cleaning so many had case sizing lube on them also. In all I cleaned 500 -600 .44 Mag, .45 LC, and .500 S&W cases in an hour or so including rinsing and spreading out to dry.

My ultrasonic cleaner is a 10 gallon commerical model with a heater but smaller ones are avaliable. A number of companies like Lyman and Hornady are now selling units for $90 or so that should also work fine with very hot water. I may pick one of the smaller ones up for small batches.

Try koolaid to clean brass. It works well and is cheap. One of the tech guys at Sierra bullets told me about this and it works well. Just aid koolaid to water and let brass soak over night then rinse and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Try koolaid to clean brass. It works well and is cheap. One of the tech guys at Sierra bullets told me about this and it works well. Just aid koolaid to water and let brass soak over night then rinse and dry.
    Does your brass have a taste preference? Cherry or grape......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Default Coolaid etc.

About anything with a mild acid in it will clean the brass to some degree - I've tried 'em all at one time or another.

The Lemi-Shine is much much better and quicker than anything else out there in my experience. Others on the internet express similar results. Also very good for the marketed purpose as a dish washer additive.

You owe it yourself to pick up a can at Walmart or your favorite store and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post

I tried some Lemi shine last night using 2 tbsp per gallon and it does work pretty good.However it is not nearly as fast as Birchwood-Casey liquid case cleaner which works in about 15 to thirty seconds. I think I'll up the amount and see if it will get as fast as the Birchwood stuff.

Try a bit more and use warm water - my mixture worked pretty fast but I've never tried the Birchwood stuff. Even without the ultrasonci cleaner it cleaned the case in 15 -30 min. or less. Some dishwashing liquid also help to cut any grease from sizing etc. I've also reused the mixture up to a weak or so before it went bad.

I also tried putting the cylinder of my 629 in my ultrasonic cleaner with the Lemi-shine. It cleaned it up beautifully down to the bare metal. I didn't get a chance to to try the barrel of the 629 - it should remove all traces of copper and powder fouling.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I tried some Lemi shine last night using 2 tbsp per gallon and it does work pretty good.However it is not nearly as fast as Birchwood-Casey liquid case cleaner which works in about 15 to thirty seconds. I think I'll up the amount and see if it will get as fast as the Birchwood stuff.

I've been using the same 2 gallon jug of Birchwood for over 20 years and it still works fast. Because of loss it's down to about 1 gallon now. The lemi shine does do a good job , it just takes longer and it is cheaper.