Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Televised Unit 26 Caribou Hunt - Sarah Palin's Alaska

Default Televised Unit 26 Caribou Hunt - Sarah Palin's Alaska

Well, this is the Alaska hunting forum, and last night's show was seen by millions so I figure this is fair game for discussion.

Sarah Palin empties entire magazine at a broadside caribou, from a prone rest position, apparently misses each time. Can't say as I have ever seen a "hunter" not load their own shells in, her dad was next to her and cocked the bolt back and loaded each round for her. Wonder where all those bullets ended up? Finally they gave her another rifle, saying hers must not be sighted in any longer, one shot from that at caribou now facing directly toward her...not the best shot to take, especially after sending all those other shells downrange and missing...but it apparently did the job if we are to believe the video.

They did a good job showing the butchering and taking all the meat.

But what a bizarre scene that was of the shooting.

From what little I watched:

Muzzle control: check
    Trigger control: sorta (finger on trigger or guard before being ready to shoot, but muzzle in safe direction)
    Flinch: none
    Follow through: check

I understand Chuck took a bit of a spill while carrying rifle earlier, not sure if in that episode or elsewhere. Judging by the fact that she dropped the bou with one shot from the different rifle, I'd go way out on a limb and say it wasn't the shooter.

Maybe her dad is slightly overbearing and wants to make sure things work right. Yeah, unforgiveable, this day in age.

Followed up by her dad taking the rifle and trying to hit a plate at the same distance which he could not. They said in there that the scope must have been bumped or something to that effect. It happens, but I'm not so sure it needs to be televised. Palin sure didn't do herself any justice as the big hunter she claims herself to be, but... at least she's out there.

I agree. I'm thinkin' she is more about pomp than circumstance. I can see one or two misses, but really. And since when can't a woman work the bolt?

I noticed her make-up stayed pretty consistent throughout the hunt. Still, it was entertaining, and she probably did better than Boxer or Polosi would have.

I liked piper's observation: "That's a small caribou.".

anybody else hear the rumor that she hasn't had a hunting license for 3 years?
    maybe she can join nugent and shockey in the "television hunter hall of shame" for F&G violations.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I didn't see anything reallyt wrong. The gun scope was obviously off. The front chest shot was good and she knocked the bou down. Then she helped pack it out, nice make-up and all. As said, at least she was out there and seemed to do a pretty good job.

Bushrat, curious about your comment: not the best shot to take, especially after sending all those other shells downrange and missing...but it apparently did the job if we are to believe the video.

Why wouldn't the chest shot be a good shot even after sending all the other shells downrange and missing?

Yeah I didn't understand why they check their equipment before the hunt but again at least she was out trying. Now that woman at base camp would have probably had the thing killed, dressed and ready to go before any one else there. My wife has been liking the show but I am not looking forward to next weeks episode the one with the kate plus eight people. As from the preview " I'm cold and hungry" in the most annoying voice acting like spoiled brat, no thank you.

egreife...not the best shot for HER at that moment, for somebody who just missed several shots.

So she misses a broadsize basketball size target. At that time the misses were for an unknown reason. And her actions with the rifle were clearly the actions of an inexperienced shooter/hunter.
    Then she takes the frontal shot, which is a smaller target, more of a football size target. And after the missed shots her heart just might have began to race, further adding to the likelihood of additional misses or a wounded animal.

That was the only part of the program I watched. I turned it off and finished cleaning up after painting a bathroom. I hate painting and I hate painting cleanup even more. But as opposed to watching that joke of a program, at that moment, anything different was a better expenditure of time.

So while I have no real heartburn with a frontal shot at a caribou with a real hunter, I agree with bushrat that the smaller target would not be advisable for an excited shooter with absolutely no gun handling knowledge.

I also though her makeup job was remarkable. Nice new hunting clouthing and very stylish sunglasses. Looking good, while shootin bad.

Dennis

OK, Mark, why haven't you criticised forum members for similiar actions. I remember at least one story this fall of a 15 shot kill at long range. You congratulated that hunter if memory serves me correctly.

Dennis...........what does one have to do to become a "real hunter"?

I didn't see the show. However, if it was later shown in the show that her misses were due to the scope being off, Last shot with different gun was one shot knockdown, I'd say it was all real life.

Should televised hunts only show perfection?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

MT...one has to has to be even slightly famialier with the gun, the caribou, and a hunting situation. Did you see even a few minutes of the hunting scenes. She was a "fish out of water", with a gun she apparently knew absolutely nothing about! You should have been embarrassed.

I have nothing against new hunters, or imperfect outdoor skills. We all start somewhere. Dude, she did not know how to operate the bolt on a bolt-action rifle! I simply believe that operating the bolt of a bolt-cation rifle is a REAL skill she should have been able to master prior to the hunt. I still feel the hunting scenes were poor advertising for her and for Alaska.

my bad on shockey... plenty of other TV hunters in the violation club, but i was mistaken on him.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I think she made some good points about sustainable yeild and mangement, organic wild meat, and the tradition of hunting with family and friends. Thi showed "urban amaerica" where real meat comes from. The shooting part concerning missing is part of the hunt. Her dad was using the gun as a walking stick and also fell with it, very possible knocking it off zero. If an animal is range and and it is facing me, I am not going to wait till it moves and maybe or maybe not presenting a broadside shot. It is more than sufficient to kill the animal with the shot presented. It was nice that they showed the processing as well not just dropping it off for somebody else to cut and wrap. Was it cost effective for what they returned with? Money spent per pound is not a true measure of hunting though we all know that! Overall it was an enjoyable show for the masses, hard core hunters will pick it apart, which is fine We all can arm chair quarter back somebody's video hunt.

Dead is Dead
    Hate is Hate
    Love of Alaska is Dead these days due the Hate we have for one another.
    I Love Dead Caribou and those that shoot them....I Hate the Haters that don't approve, because of the 'way' it happens.
    Love and Hate is something all Alaskans have in common.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks for your reply ATA. I don't necessarily agree. After watching the video again it is clear that Sarah did indeed know how to work a bolt action. I think this was a case of her dad just kind of taking over the cocking of the gun. I still don't see this scenario any different than probably 100's of other hunts that have happened where the hunters simply get excited when the animal shows up. I'd have been wondering what the heck is wrong if I missed that many times. I think the friend was calm and said the right thing, "here, try this gun."

Quote Originally Posted by egreife View Post
    I think the friend was calm and said the right thing, "here, try this gun."
    ...As he handed her a rifle she didn't seem familiar with, that was hot right down to the safety being off.....

Still giggling over last weeks episode where they left Homer to "Get away to the boonies" for a bbq....And then parked their aircraft carrier sized R.V. at Deep Creek.

The Lesser 48 folk lap this stuff up...

...But then again they also made Northern Exposure a hit as well. Another show that faked it.......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    I think she made some good points about sustainable yeild and mangement, organic wild meat, and the tradition of hunting with family and friends. Thi showed "urban amaerica" where real meat comes from. The shooting part concerning missing is part of the hunt. Her dad was using the gun as a walking stick and also fell with it, very possible knocking it off zero. If an animal is range and and it is facing me, I am not going to wait till it moves and maybe or maybe not presenting a broadside shot. It is more than sufficient to kill the animal with the shot presented. It was nice that they showed the processing as well not just dropping it off for somebody else to cut and wrap. Was it cost effective for what they returned with? Money spent per pound is not a true measure of hunting though we all know that! Overall it was an enjoyable show for the masses, hard core hunters will pick it apart, which is fine We all can arm chair quarter back somebody's video hunt.
    Know what you mean about "...arm chair quarter back[ing] somebody's hunt.." certainly shouldn't read too much in after having missed three or four standing shots - sent on the way while the animal was running; never opened the bolt after done shooting or that the rifle was taken from another individual with the assurance that the "...safeties off - ready to shoot".
    The posted clip certainly would make a good training film.
    Joe

TV is TV
    Seems that many Alaskans cannot differentiate that. Get real guys, back away from your screens and look at it for what it is. The intended audience was not the Armchair Sourdoughs of Hunting. Seems like too many these days can Always find what others are doing Wrong.
    Where did they learn this type of behaviour?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

She holds that gun like it's gonna bite her. Definitely not comfortable with it.

As for the kill? Who knows who really pulled the trigger on the kill shot. The footage sure didn't show who.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Nice shootin Sarah!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast