Thread: New Winchester Mod 70 Extreme .243

Default New Winchester Mod 70 Extreme .243

Thought I'd share with everyone my recent experience with one of the NEW (FN Manufactured) Winchesters. I purchased the gun about 3 weeks ago and finally managed to get to the range with it for sight-in and barrel break-in. I haven't seen any shooting results from other owners so I thought I'd break the ice.

Being as I am going to use this rifle for predator hunting and plan on reloading 80 gr Noslers for it, I picked up a box of Federal factory loaded 80 gr soft points for the break-in process. I mounted a Leupold 3.5 x 14 LPS and began the process.

Temp was a chilly 2 degrees, initial target range was 25 yards. After bore sighting was completed I shot 3 rounds and got sub-MOA results, 3" high and 3" left. I zeroed the point-of-aim to match point-of-impact and shot another 3 rounds. Again sub-MOA dead center of target. I then moved the target out to 50 yds.

Another 3 rounds down range and another sub-MOA grouping. Slightly off center. Again POA-adjusted to POI. Sent another 3 rounds down range and sub MOA results center of target! By now I'm felling pretty good with the new acquisition.

I move the target out to 100 yds and send 3 shots down range. Sub MOA results slightly high and left of center. Once again I adjusted POA to match POI and send 3 more down range. Dead center, sub MOA results. I take my last 2 remaining rounds and shoot at a new target and BINGO! Two holes touching, dead center at 100 yds.

By now my fingers are freezing and I've accomplished my goal. I pack-up and head home quite pleased with the performance/over-all results of this gun. I did a lot of research on this caliber and different firearms manufacturers and decided to go with Winchester and have no regrets. This guns gonna get a lot of use in the very near future.

For inquiring minds....1 shot then I cleaned the bore, 2 shots then cleaned the bore, 3 shots then cleaned the bore, 3 shots cleaned the bore, 3 shots cleaned the bore, 3 shots cleaned the bore, 5 shots cleaned the bore. I allowed the barrel to cool between group shooting. Didn't take long to cool in 2 degree temps! I'll repeat the process with my hand-loads.

A moderator on here by the name of Stid swears by his new mod. 70 extreme. And judging by his pictures of all the game he's shot with it, I could see why. I don't think you could find a better American made rifle than your winchester model 70, except.......maybe the wood one, but that's personal preference.

I own two Winchester Extremes, .270 Win and .325 WSM and both shoot "Extreme-ly" well. the .270 is a tack driver shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100 and under or right at 1" groups at 200 yards. Nice. Very nice. The .325 has been a bit more work with reloads to find the sweet load, but it is now banging them in at .75" at 100 yards consistently.

Thanks for the post - looks like you have a real "shooter" - and to hold steady at 2 degree's for sub moa groups - well it doesn't get any better! Them coyotes are in real trouble....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I honestly think the new Winchester's are a stock away from being the best thing since sliced bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I honestly think the new Winchester's are a stock away from being the best thing since sliced bread.
    And not being available in .223!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Don't like Bell and Carlson stocks?

Congratulations, Whitetail1der and thanks for the info.

I've been killing coyotes with a 243 for most of 30 years. I used mostly Hornady 70 grainers but switched to the bulk Winchester 80 grainers a couple of years ago. The 243 is the perfect coyote round and I doubt that there is a better rifle built than the very one you chose. There are a lot of good times in your future with that rifle!

I have an older Model 70 Stainless Classic .243win. that is similar to the new model. I love it, it has become my favorite predator rifle. It shoots 95 grain Ballistic Silver Tips very well, such a combination would is hard to beat as a large varmint/predator gun.