Thread: Crazy Day

Default Crazy Day

Took a friend and his son out calling today. They have never been out calling and had wanted to go, so I told them I'd be happy to take them out and see if we could call in something.

As we're driving, I spot this coyote in a small creek just standing there. I told my friend to pull over down the road and his son and I would put the hunt on him. We quickly throw on some snow camo and grab the guns. We go about 300 yards, as quietly as we can bush-wack down from where I saw the coyote and set up looking up the creek towards the coyote. I start my first 10 second sequence of rabbit blues on the Sceery and sure enough...here he comes. I tell my friend's son to get ready. That coyote ran right in front of us and I barked to stop him. I wonder why no shooting is going on and he tells me that it won't fire. Sure enough, the safety wasn't pushed all the way forward. Needless to say, that coyote hit the afterburners and took off. For the first "stand" of the day, we were off to a good start seeing activity.

Two stands later, my friend and I go out and his son is warming up in the truck. We call and are about to leave when I see something standing about 200 yards away. We drop to the ground and I quietly start the mouthcall going. The animal (turned out to be a huge fox) starts slowly moving towards us and then slowly walks into the woods. Then, 10 seconds later, a coyote pops out across from where this fox went into the woods. I start squeaking the call and it just stands there and then dips away. A second later, my friend says "There are two coyotes" out there. Sure enough....there are two of them standing out there just looking towards us. I called some more, but they just slowly walked away.

Next two stands produced nothing.

Then, the following stand, I set my friend and son up in a spot where I had killed a coyote before looking down a small clearing of willows. I put the caller and decoy about 20 yards in front of me, to their left a bit. I positioned myself about 25 yards behind the caller, just slightly behind them. Ten minutes into my custom rabbit sequence I see a coyote slowly walk out no more than 30 yards in front of them. He keeps slowly walking and looking right at them and then over at the caller and decoy. He keeps walking and is now directly in front of them about 20 yards. I'm watching them and seeing if and when they are going to shoot out of the corner of my eye as I keep my cross-hairs on that coyote. Then, I hear a "Click"....OH NO!!!! The gun didn't fire. The coyote looks over at them and is about to move toward the caller more and the boy barks twice (He knew that barking would stop a coyote after the early morning incident). The coyote stops and I put the lead to him with the 22mag. It was an average 27 Pound male. Success, but not the kind I was wanting. I wanted the young boy to do the shooting. Either way...he's one hooked predator caller now. I told them that the cold weather can and will mess with gear at times. There is probably some oil or grease in that gun he was using and needs to be hosed down with Brake Kleen and then dry lubed.

Heading back we stopped at the spot where we saw the fox and two coyotes. I figured that they didn't run away from us while we were there, so they might still be around. We (two of us again, the boy was thawing his fingers out) set up differently this time since the wind had shifted slightly. I started the caller off with some coyote howls. Sure enough, there was a responding set of howls from about 400 yards away it sounded like. I went into my rabbit blues for about 5 minutes and then hit the young coyote howls again. My friend and I are back to back and he whispers..."Here he comes".. I slowly turn my head and see the coyote trotting in and then stops. Then he hit mach 9 and got out of dodge back to a safe zone. Smelled us? Saw us???? Who knows, that's predator hunting.

I warned them that today was an amazing day of calling for Alaska and to not expect that every time they go out. Their response to that was a simple..."We'll just go with you every time then"...Pretty funny, but surely not likely to happen like that again anytime too soon.

Great Job, sounds like you guys are infested with them out your way.

Great report. I was thinking with the New moon and cold temps the calling should be hot. Was that a Remington that failed to fire??

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

No, it was a Marlin 22mag. It was my rifle too, which is really bothering me. That's the first time that thing has ever failed to shoot, even at -40F Temperatures. I'm wondering if I accidentally oiled it last season...Either way, it's getting the cold treatment test now. Brake Kleen it..dry lube it...cold soak it at minimum -30F and then take it out to shoot it. Needless to say, I was less than happy that my gear caused a missed shot. I'll have to make it up to them and get them more chances to shoot critters.

Sounds like a great day calling. I knew I should have blown off my honey do list today. I had a few problems with my AR last winter at -30. It turned out to be the lube I was using. Sounds like you got a good plan for a fix on yours. The dry lube is the way to go. Hillbilly

Wow, sounds like great day! Good looking dog too.

Default Not Fair.

Sounds like you all had a ball. Very fun. I spent the day in my rental house cleaning and painting and still have, at the rate I progressed, a week to go on it. And all day I thought about getting out. Sheez.
    Try some heat packs for that boy, both in his boots and mittens. Make sure to his boots are dry to start with. Kids are notorious for not pulling their liners and drying stuff out. An extra big set of over mitts with heaters inside are good too. Something that he can just pulls his hands out of with liners on to hold the cold gun. I've never used a muff, but that might work really well.
    You just saw more dogs today that I've seen all year. I'm thinking I've got to get out more and change what I've been doing. Thanks for sharing,
    ARR

AK River Rat,
    He had some small packs going after the second stand, but they weren't kicking out much heat. So, I pulled out the big boot type heaters and then we sat in the truck a bit and shook the things until they started putting out heat. After that, his toes and fingers stayed toasty. Muffs work realy good, I used to use them when I'd sit on whitetail stands for 3-4 hours. Toss a couple heat packs in a muff and you can almost cook a burrito. Good points on kids keeping stuff dry too, they seem to be able to get wet in a dessert at times.

What a great day that will leave ever lasting memories for those two and I'm sure they're gut hooked on calling. Good job! Also glad to see I'm not the only one the critters are getting over on! : )

i wish i had your kinda luck! great job on a nice coyote!

Wow snow, that really is a lot of action in a single day! You have scouted and identified some good calling locations. Besides the bloody yote spot you mentioned are you seeing much sign of other callers around your region? Great post.

Awesome story, good pics, much appreciated! What is the dry lube you guys are talking about?

Oats,
    Normally I don't see any sign of other callers where I go. I put in some legwork to hike to most of my spots though, which many aren't willing to do.

limon32,
    Here's an example of the kind I've used. There are others around as well.

http://www.remington.com/products/ac...m-drilube.aspx

Sounds like you had a lot of action and had a great time. That's the most important thing. It's just great that you got the chance to take out a youngster and show him the ropes. It's just so much better to get out there and do the real thing rather then sittin at home playing cabelas big game hunter.
    So it sounds like you're in the interior. Yeah it for sure wasn't me in your location where you heard the gunshot and saw blood and fur. I'll be up in Fairbanks at the end of the month to visit my folks though. I would love to do a little calling. If you want to meet up, give me a shout.
    That's a nice yote too. You have any tips for getting the tail bone out without making any slits? Thanks man. Keep it up.

MMJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    You have any tips for getting the tail bone out without making any slits?

MMJ
    Maybe one of these??

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2903511...=263602_304662
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

MMJ,
    I think that I'll be around near the end of the month, send me a PM when you're heading up and a good number to reach you at. I use one of these for getting the tail bone out.

http://www.gofoxpro.com/products/acc...t_stripper.php

Still requires a short slit, more depending on how frozen it is. Then, I put a wrap of paper towel on the base of the tail to get a really good grip and push like crazy until it pops and the tailbone slides out. gotta be careful and do most of the pulling on the base though because if you pull really hard on the tail-stripper tool, you can completely tear off the tail....I did it once and wasn't happy.